1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Air Force to Hire Troy Calhoun

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by jtotheb, Dec 22, 2006.

1. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Just saw this... I know that the Texans haven't been anything to write home about offensively this season, but I've heard nothing but good things about this guy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2706195

Air Force will name Houston Texans offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun as its next head coach, succeeding Fisher DeBerry, a source close to Calhoun told ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday.

Calhoun was Air Force's quarterback under DeBerry in 1986 and was an assistant for the retired coach.

Calhoun has spent the last four years as an NFL assistant after stints at Air Force, Ohio University and Wake Forest.

DeBerry, 68, retired Dec. 15 after 23 years as the head coach at Air Force, finishing with three straight losing seasons.

His 169-109-1 record made him the winningest coach in Air Force history, and he had the third-longest tenure at one school of any active college coach, after Joe Paterno (41 years at Penn State) and Bobby Bowden (31 years at Florida State).

DeBerry, who had more than $2.5 million remaining on the final three years of his contract, will receive an $850,000 settlement spread out over five years along with a monthly annuity of $8,500 for life, which comes from the Air Force Academy Athletic Association and not taxpayer funds.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I read very good things about Calhoun from Kubiak and Shannhan so good for him. Even though he was the OC, Kubiak still calls the plays. My guess is they promote Mike Sherman to OC.

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Then he will be gone too after next season.

Still a joke he got blamed for Green Bays bad season last year.

4. jtotheb

Don't think they'd get rid of Sherman. The offensive line was actually off to a pretty decent start before Spencer got hurt. Either way, the guy's got mostly crap to work with.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I think he meant that Sherman will be moving up to another HC or OC job-- because he agrees with you.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Add another new OC to the list of Texcuses.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

off topic but smokey what show is that dave chappelle line from?

8. jtotheb

"Texcuses"? How long did it take you to come up with that one?

9. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

It's from one of his stand up specials.

I think it's from "For What It's Worth." I could be wrong, though.