1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AI Trade and Implications for Rockets and others

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anitasri, Dec 19, 2006.

1. anitasri

anitasri Member

Denver definitely got a good deal out of that- but as someone already pointed out- they need more than 2 basketballs. Amazing the the top Scoring NBA talent on one team!

What does it mean to Rockets?

It may not seem much but I think the playoff race gets a lot more tighter, where teams will be jockeying for even 1 or 2 games for a more comfortable spot. With our Injury record- I really dont think we can stand pat.

First thing - Bonzi's minutes will go up ( unless he does something really dumb!)

And this time we have to trade do an upgrade at PF and if luck has it at the PG. We have Juwan, Bob Sura, Plus our First round pick if necessary. Even if this lands Troy Murphy/Pietrus- that gives us some options.

2. kingkow

kingkow Member

You know when Melo is out of suspension is the day which the Nugs play the Rox

WE ARE DOOOMED!

3. SlizardOO

SlizardOO Member

Tmac won't be a starter for the West Allstar team probably

4. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Melo and AI are going to have to gel for this to work.

Everyone involved in that trade going to Denver/at Denver's stats will go down big time. Carmelo will no longer be scoring leader and Iverson will no longer be close to scoring leader.

The question is, will those two gel? What about J.R.? Camby? I don't see this working for some reason.

The Nugz either got better or stayed the same, no way this trade hurts the Nugz.

The West probably just got a lot tougher. Damn.

I wouldn't be suprised if they look to shop J.R.. What's he going to do on a team with Iverson and Melo? They could probably use a true PG who'll only run down the floor and pass to AI/Melo and play good D.

Will AI go back to SG?

5. arjun

arjun Member

screw the all star game..im scared of the nuggets man..i really am...carmelo and iverson and camby....

6. pearlon

pearlon Member

I don't think this trade has much implications on the Rockets at all.

Even tho they are in the Western Conference, Denver is in another division, and would be lucky to be in the playoffs. To me, Denver was better off with Andre and Joe. Andre is a better defender and better shooter than AI, and a more unselfish passer. Joe is that necessary big which every team needs that plays 2nd or 3rd back up PF or C. Plus, he still has offense and plays decent D. In AI, although talented, they get another scorer which shoots at a way low percentage. Melo will be out for a month, plus when they come back they'll need to time to develop chemistry. How are shots gonna be distributed? Remember J.R. Smith is there too, with Camby, who all need their own shots. Unless you make AI a pure passer, and still you'd just get a smaller Andre Miller (AI gives up about 40 lbs and 2 inches to Miller) with poorer shooting percentage.

So, coming playoff time, Denver will be scrounging for wins to squeeze into that number 8 spot, while the Rockets will certainly be at least top 6 in the West.

7. xiayun78

xiayun78 Member

Does Iverson's votes automatically transfer over? I'd think not, but I'm not familiar with the all-star rules.

I'm not sure Denver suddenly got that much better. Iverson isn't a true point guard even though his assist number is pretty good. Hard to see both will maintain the 30ppg pace. They will be able to continue to run a lot, but they are still not the Suns. To me, our situation remains that if TMac can play enough games, we'll have a good shot at the No. 5 seed.

8. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Last time I checked, McGrady had like 100,000 votes more than Iverson... I thought.

9. anitasri

anitasri Member

A blockbuster steal like this- will lead to other trades. While the jury is out on how Karl will fit that many offensive stars into a rotation- if it works, watch out- these guys can be deadly.

Your assumption of the 6 spot is fine if Tmac does not suffer setbacks- we are one or two episodes away from disasters- it will not take more than a 4-5 game deficit- if anything we still have Minnesotta, Memphis, and New Orleans who can pull off upsets.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Any votes he receives for the Eastern Conference ballot should be thrown away. It doesn't make much sense otherwise. Yu're not simply voting for a player to be in the Allstar game. You're specifically voting for the starters on a particular Allstar team).

11. tsunami

tsunami Member

Well this happened before. It was a few years ago I think when Jason Kidd was traded.

12. tsunami

tsunami Member

We host or we on road that day?

13. windfern

windfern Member

Nope, that's the second game of the month. The first game is without Melo. But I don't care, we're a better team.

14. pearlon

pearlon Member

Well in terms of injuries, if we incur anymore, than you are absolutely right, it can lead to disasters. But then the Rockets not making the playoffs will be because of the injuries, not because of this trade.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Now, trades can happen. Before AI resolution teams were de facto 'blocked' from activity + 'magic' date of 12/15 has passed, so - Let's make a deal.

(For the Rox: Deal 1 - divert Dre to H-town. Deal 2 - pry the overpaid Murph to the Toy Shop.)

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I also think the Nuggest will implode. Iverson will be complaining again by this time next year. For some reason, he reminds me of Terrell Owens...

On paper, they look pretty good, though.

17. stq

stq Member

what's denver's payroll?

they have Melo, AI, KMart, 3 max contract guys.
    Nene, Camby aren't cheap either.....

18. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Melo and AI are pretty much looking on their stats night in and night out. It will take them a while to figure it out that one of them should be more unselfish than the other and share the ball on the floor. Compare to Yao and Tmac, i like what Tracy is doing on the floor having almost 7 assist per game and 20 points on the board. Truth we got a solid team when Tracy, Snyder and Sura comes back from injuries.

:eek: Melo and Ai will shoot at least 60 shots or more per game.

19. conquistador#11

With Yao leading us,I fear no team.Let them try to F****** stop us! :)
    I was watching an Interview on Televisa,a station from mexico,inwhich Pao gasol was praising Yao and said he would love to play with him.
    As far as I am concerned,J-West Owes us one!! :mad:

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Miller, Dalembert, and Webber nearly take up 40 million of Philly's cap.

That core isn't heading into the playoff''s even in the East.

What Philly needs to pray for:

Dalembert to a team that needs a C but can absorb his contract without, e.g one player trade to Bobcats or Hawks.

Hunter for Ely.

Korver for the Rockets TE.

Miller+pick for Croshere+Harris

New GM

No.1 pick in 2007 draft

They were already over the LT threshold by 2 mil or so. Adding AI added 2-3 mil more to their team salary. Trading Najera or Evans for TE or expirings would get them under the cap next year. I'd doubt that unless they fell out of the playoff race.