1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AI-generated spam is starting to fill social media. Here's why

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, May 16, 2024.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Unsurprising

Rocket River

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Uprising

3. Buck Turgidson

Yep, that's amazing

4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I logged off of Facebook for the last time many moons ago. It was a cesspool 8 years ago, I can't even imagine it now. Twitter is also just an absolute terror, for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to involve themselves with any of that. Even on Reddit, I feel like I am able to cull my feed to an extent but there always seems to be that argumentative political element that I'd rather not participate in supporting. And the obvious bot posts... it's just weird how the internet went from like, "you have to be careful the person on the other end of the keyboard may be falsely representing themselves for some reason" to like....it's probably not even a person, just some machine tasked to manipulate. And it works?!

Linkedin is super crazy to me. I mean, I hardly ever post but I get a free learning account from my work so I use it to sharpen excel and soft skills. It's just a networking/resume site, job applications too. The way people use it as Facebook lite, blasting political and religious opinions all over the place? I barely ever look at the feed, it's gross. And stupid. Like there really can't be one social website that doesn't involve all that stuff? We really can't have one place just to outline our careers?

Ubiquitin likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Just mute/drop/delete and you'll be fine.

For Twitter, follow people who bring value and avoid the suggested feed they put on by default. When you follow strong personalities, strong dingleberries will latch on by default. It gets very annoying getting suckered into reading from the default feed. Just block until it's readable and know that a new crop of dingleberries are on the horizon. Info you value has a cost to it.

Linkedin is much easier to prune. Don't follow any influencer unless they're helping your career and remove the low value connection or unfollow the others from your feed.

The Algo thrives on your feedback. Because if you hate it that much then you can't buy the **** they peddle.... Digital altruism according to tech giants.

I was going to go on a rant about the next shift in perception in social media where our trust in a bot that harvests a hundred thousand voices (7B+ parameters) is greater than one real voice that could be a simpler cheaper bot/promp. Dismissing that voice has become even easier to dehumanize by simply asking if it's a bot or not...which will gradually be you on the receiving end of the internet.

But the tips above is prob more useful to anyone wanting to use social media in a less sucky way...

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I left facebook awhile ago, back when it was still used to predominately post personal content. Now its an utter garbage bin of spam. Instagram will at least get you some content your interested in, but why use IG when TikTok does a much much better job. I can't do LinkedIn and all the circle jerk of likes and engagement. I dont use reddit enough to complain.

X has a wide variety of engagement, much like reddit. It actually does a pretty good job of keeping the garbage out and focuses on providing content you want vs pushing engagement trash. However you do have to be quick to prune unwanted content (by muting) or the feed can get filled with trash like IG. Selectively add people. Don't add anyone unless they are providing good content, even if you like the person.