1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ahman Green Restructures Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by A_3PO, Aug 28, 2008.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This has come up before. Either he was going to restructure or be cut. In fact, it looks like the $1.8 million doesn't become guaranteed until the 2nd game so there is still a good chance he gets cut if game 1 for him turns out to be another dud. Can someone clarify this?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5971192.html

Running back Ahman Green agreed Wednesday to restructure the 2008 portion of his four-year contract, reducing his base salary from $3.8 million to $1.8 million.

The deal frees up $2 million in salary cap money for the Texans.

Green, who hasn’t played since suffering a groin injury on the first play of preseason against Denver, is expected to start the first regular-season game at Pittsburgh.

In the deal negotiated by general manager Rick Smith and agent Joby Branion, Green agreed to give up $2 million in base salary and a $500,000 bonus for a chance to make $3 million in per-game bonuses.

In addition to his $1.8 million base, beginning with the second game — the home opener against Baltimore — Green will get $200,000 for every game in which he’s active. If he’s active for the last 15 games, he’ll make $3 million, bringing his income to $4.8 million.

The last two years of the four-year contract won’t change. His base salary next year is $4.8 million. His base salary in 2010 is $4.3 million. He receives $500,000 bonuses each year.

Last year, when Green suffered a knee injury in the first game and was limited to 260 yards rushing, he received a $5 million signing bonus, a base salary of $1.5 million and a roster bonus of $1.5 million.

2. yobod

yobod Member

This is something that had to be done. It was clear that if Green had a bad game against Pittsburgh, he was going to be cut anyways. Now, at least this is a deal that will benefit both sides. If Green plays (which any fan should want, because when he is healthy, he is clearly the best back on the team), he gets more money. If he doesn't, the team can at least take some of that money off the books.

3. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

When I saw Ahman Green with the word "Restructured"...I was 100% sure he was restructuring his knee or his restructuring his flemsy body or something. He's still got skills but his body is completely broken down. I mean One frickn play and he wasn't even touched in the preseason...one frickn play...

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

He needs to get cut.

I'd rather go with Slaton or the other guy.

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I like the Chris Taylor/Slaton combination. I would use Slaton on 1st/2nd down and use Chris Taylor on 3rd.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ahman Green = Tony Boselli

7. conquistador#11

if we can get 2 games out of green, i'll be happy. =/

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I wouldn't go that far. Boselli's injury set this franchise back a whole lot, we didn't have a viable 2nd option. Decent RBs can be found, I was excited when we picked Green up but also a bit confused on why we decided to spend so much money on an aging back.

Good to hear he restructed his contract but I would really like to see Kubiak give Slaton a shot at being our franchise back.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying they've both had about the same impact on the field so far. I mean, seriously. He gets hurt on the first play from scrimmage during the first preseason game?

I predict, if he isn't cut, we will spend the whole year hearing about how he's "close" but not quite ready for action.

I would bet that Slaton is on his way to being the starting RB. Green and Brown are both damaged goods and I don't think Taylor and the kid from Notre Dame are quite ready to get 20 carries a game.

Slaton is just so fast. Once he learns to make that first cut (in the Gibbs blocking scheme) and get into the secondary, he's gone. He's shown flashes during the preseason of making that first cut and when he has, it's been an automatic first down every time.

EDIT: Also, Slaton has shown to be the best RB at picking up the blitz so far. Needless to say, that will be VERY important this year.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Not sure how contracts work, but if he thought he was going to get cut, wouldn't the Texans still have to pay? If so, why reduce your payout to games played vs. a base salary, as more than likely, he's done IMHO...

Good for the Texans, bad for Green...

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

NFL contracts are non-guaranteed, that's why signing bonuses and guaranteed money are so important when negotiating contracts.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What kind of year do you guys think it will take for the Texans to not cut Green after this season?

That 4.8 million dollar base salary next season makes me sick.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Huh? They probably won't bring him back next season. That non-guaranteed base salary number means zip. If he somehow does comes back, it won't be at $4.8 million. It will be incentive based, I doubt the Texans will guarantee much (if any) of it and it's doubtful Green would go to anyone's training camp without some guarantee money.

On another topic, if Chris Brown is on the 53-man roster, I'll be shocked. Stick a fork in him.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

So if he rushes for 1500 yards and scores 14 TDs, they arent bringing him back? You dont think Green can reach a performance level where it merits him coming back on his current cap hit for 2009?

15. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I think that is exactly what he is saying as well as most other people.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I haven't read his contract, but there's a very good chance nothing is guaranteed for 2009. That's the way most NFL contracts work (I think). His performance level will benefit him THIS SEASON ONLY, not next year. At his age and recent injury history, the Texans would be dumb to guarantee one red cent in 2009.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Oh...that's right...hence why he did what he did...If he performs, he gets paid and thus potentionally pro-longing his season...vs. getting cut and getting nothing...

18. luisantonio1014

Taylor and Slaton combo all the way! cut everybody else except Walker. We could use Walker in case of injuries.