1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aggie Football

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Greg#3, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

I'm meeting with the A&M SID on Wednesday to try and get a job with the athletic department. Does anybody have any idea what kind of jobs are avaliable for students? Surely someone worked for an SID's office while in college, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on what to expect. Thanks.

Now, on to the sports talk.............

A&M is kicking some A$$ in recruiting this summer!!!!!!

12 recruits for '03 + Anthony Wright has now signed with A&M to play for them next year. He had signed with Colorado but his official visit to CU happened the same weekend as the "wild party" and he wouldn't talk about the incident at school. I just read that he has signed with A&M, after visiting A&M and Oklahoma in June. I saw him June 20 but of course he didn't say a word about not going to Colorado. In fact, I asked him when he was leaving for Boulder and he replied, "I'm not sure yet." I should have realized something was up because he would have known by then when he had to report. Anyways, I'm mucho happy that he's going to Aggieland because he is an awesome WR and might play next year, given the current state of condition for the A&M receivers.

Back to the class of '03, RC, love him or hate him, has done a fantastic job of early recruiting and the results are really paying off. Of the 12 recruits, 9 are on Dave Campbell's "Super Teams", including high school phenom, Drew Tate.

Maybe's it the great recruiting job RC has done, or maybe it's because Anthony is now going to A&M, or maybe it's just becasue I'm going up to College Station tomorrow, but whatever the reason is, I'm really excited about the future of Aggie football.

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

aggys are so weak!

#2 Smokey, Jul 8, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2002
  3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

8-4 forever.

Well, except for the '03 season, when the bottom falls out.

P.S. : Last year's recruiting started out much the same way - with McNeal and Riley - and we saw how that class collapsed on itself with something like 8-10 decommitments.

4. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

Mark my words...

A&M will beat Virginia Tech, Nebraska, Texas, or Oklahoma this year. Actually, A&M will beat V-Tech or Nebraska this year, maybe even both. V-Tech and Nebraska will both have inexperienced QBs and A&M's defense will live up to their name of the "Wrecking Crew" with Penright, Davis, Gamble, and Warren.

As for last year's decommintments, we lost JD Runnels (Oklahoma FB), Lawrence Vickers (committed back to CO, would have been nice), Bob Morton (Notre Dame, big time loss), Cody Douglas(Tennessee, don't care), Michael Brisco (FS - Texas Tech, ehhh), and Darrin Johnson (0T- SMU, saved an open scholarship for Anthony). If we lose 6 commitments this year, I'll be ticked!

5. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

If u go to this site: http://new.texags.com/main/recruiting.main.asp

This site by B. Liucci is very good...too bad it's free for one more day though; expires Monday. So, take a gander and see the Aggies best early recruiting class that I can remember. Too bad though that if all of these studs stay committed, I will have already graduated and won't be able to see them as well as all the crappy construction turn into nice facilities. Oh well, there is always season tickets.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fyi.....UT's defense back in the day (1950's) was given the moniker before A&M. A&M got it as a handdown from big brother to little brother.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

A&M's class so far has quantity more than quality, something that isn't good with 85 scholarship limits...

I'm not an A&M hater, but objectively speaking, I don't see such a bright future for the Ags. They are clearly only 3rd in the recruiting pecking order in TX, behind UT and OU, in that order. A&M would be in pretty good shape, if they were 2nd fiddle behind UT, but OU's emergence is what might hurt A&M more than anything. Even more than UT's return to prominence.

A&M needs to hire a young, fiery, coach. I hate the guy, but a guy like Neuheisel, who can be a player's best friend, is the type of guy A&M needs to be able to recruit. Mack is able to recruit because he has a very down to earth personality (fake or not), while Stoops can recruit because he has 1 national title to his credit to along with the fact that he has as much energy as any coach.

One other problem with A&M recruiting, is that they can't rely on A&M family tradition to help them. Eric Winston from last year comes to mind. There are several examples that I have forgotten, of A&M leans, turning into UT commits.

Also, last year, something like 10+ early commits of A&M ended up ditching A&M, and commiting to other schools. Which makes the early commitments a negative instead of a positive, as A&M recruited part of the time with a false sense of security.

Did that Riley guy from last year make grades?

One thing I will say is that Reggie McNeal will be a bad ass.

8. Smokey

Things will get really interesting when/if the Ags get a new coach who will challenge Stoops and Brown. I've heard Bob Davie mentioned but I don't know if he can do it. As long as RC is coaching, the Ags won't be in the same league as Texas and OU. Yall can put down your crack pipes.

9. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

As much as I hate to say it, R.C. generally has a really good recruiting class but can't do anything with the talent once he gets it. Remember a few years back when A&M was preseason ranked #3 and promptly got punked by Colorado?

I don't mean to be negative, but I've seen way too much of this since I arrived in College Station 10 years ago.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

One thing to consider with RC...

Has there ever been a different college program that was ever rumored to be interested in RC, since he's been at A&M?

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Is Reggie Mcneil gonna start? btw, Vincent Young will be betterwhen he gets to start.

12. Smokey

Dave Elmendork got fired today.

#12 Smokey, Jul 9, 2002
  13. Refman

How much of that is lack of interest and how much of that is not even bothering because it's common knowledge that RC is not available?

14. Smokey

KEEP RC!

#14 Smokey, Jul 9, 2002
  15. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

I THINK they will redshirt McNeal and let him learn the QB position for a year and then he will have to compete with Dustin Long and a Drew Tate that is graduating early so play in spring ball. If Tate proves capable of playing QB, then A&M will move McNeal to WR, along with Terrence Murphy, L'Tydrick Riley, Anthony Wright, and Tyrell Gatewood ('03) and that would be one heck of a passing game.

16. Refman

McNeal is a bona-fide stud QB. If RC moves him to WR, or anywhere else, he should not only be fired but hanged publicly.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it won't matter anyway...you know you can't match up against my powerful Baylor Bears!! :D

18. Smokey

Go Bears!

#18 Smokey, Jul 9, 2002
  19. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Anthony Wright=Rapist

20. ESource

ESource Member

Nice pick-up........ :D