1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Agent to Heat: LeBron James opting out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Camarograna2, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I have a question bc I want to make sure I understand this right. If the heat wanted to sign say Lowry at $10mill per, the big three would have to all opt out and resign for a combined $35 mill/year?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Anyone remember Wade saying 'Don't blame me if LeBron leaves'? :p

[Late May] Healthy Dwyane Wade doesn't want blame if LeBron James leaves Miami Heat

Obviously talking about his play there, not a decision to opt in or out.

3. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Or veterans chasing rings and willing to take vet mins.

Harden/Howard/James with good role players in Parsons, Beverley, Jones is practically screaming championships. Veterans will run to join the team.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Even if he played for vet minimum, that would be an extra few million dollars. At worst, he could play an extra 2 years at 5 million each...and that's literally hobbling level.

This doesnt even take into account that he could use that 41.5 million as investment money.

If he opts out, I dont see him taking less than 4 years and close to 60 million. Otherwise, it makes no sense for him.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You can't think about Wade's contract in per year terms though. His knees are toast. He'll be riding the pine the majority of those last four years. The Heat would be doing him a favor by giving him 15M total more over the remainder of his career.

I guarantee you that at this point, Dwyane Wade will be anchor to that city's franchise. He's going the way of Kobe. It will be like the end of Cal Ripken's career, or Brett Favre's career, or dare I say it Craig Biggio's career.

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

Even though the bench is subject to change (wouldn't we still have our MLE to find a solid bench contributor?) I would take that lineup!

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

My math was wrong, I was counting Miller's salary like an idiot.

Updated:

If the Heat all took $15 million:
    $45 million for big 3
    $4.6 million for Haslem
    $1.4 million for Chris Anderson
    $2.1 million for Norris Cole
    $3 million minimum roster charge for 6 roster spots (approximated)

$56 million total salary: depending on the actual salary cap, that could actually put them between 4 and 7 million under the cap.

#127 justtxyank, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It's already been reported that Lebron isn't interested in taking a pay cut.

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

And this has got to be the biggest concern for LBJ. Even if he and Bosh and Wade all opt out for less money and are able to bring another decent or solid contributor, it will still be hard for him to go through the entire regular season and playoffs carrying the whole team. Has Wade done anything the past two years that would make him think that he wouldn't have to do that? Wade sat out almost 30 games last season, that is only going to get worse over the next 2-4 years.

10. justtxyank

No. If they sign Lebron (or Melo or some other max free agent) with cap space they do not have the MLE. You cannot use BOTH cap space and MLE in the same offseason.

They could still use veterans minimum and either the Bi annual exception OR a room exception potentially, both at around $2 million.

11. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Lebron would be expecting the Heat to go into the luxury tax to get more depth too regardless of how much of a pay cut the big 3 takes from what I have heard. He isn't willing to take a paycut to win if the owner isn't willing to pay the luxury tax to win.

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Would be $45MM for the big 3

13. justtxyank

Haha, dumb me. I just ran with the other guys number. So yeah, at $15 million for the big 3 they'd buy less than $10 million in cap space.

Fixed.

They would really need to take BIG cuts, into the $10 million range to have real cap room.

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

If the big 3 each took 15mil, that would be 45 million, not 35. And that is already them taking another paycut (remember they took one in 2010 as well).

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/AminESPN">@AminESPN</a> You have 75 guys there. You really should break every story. I'd be more worried about that than me.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/481436682244214784">June 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

For those who keep thinking "well they make a lot of money still so why not take a paycut?" Keep this in mind.

Mickey Arison, the Heat's owner, is worth $4.5 BILLION. He had the 2 time defending champs. What does he do? He amnestied Mike Miller and refused to sign a MLE player to save what would have amounted to maybe $25mil total.

And Arison likely pays a hell of a lot less in taxes and other fees than any NBA player, since corporate tax laws are much easier to get around than income taxes. LeBron/Bosh/Wade only see about 50% of their money because of taxes and agent fees. They absolutely care about "a few million."

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It's interesting to think about the rockets playing in Miami on Christmas Day and stomping Wade and his $20 million. And Lebron dunking over him while he tries to take a charge. Kinda of a sad sight there.

18. Rox>Mavs

Sorry I'm not following this right. If the big three take $15 each that'd be $45 combined not $35 right? That'd put them at $56 in total and $7 under the cap. If they each took $11-12 each then they could get to $17 under. Right?

19. Rox>Mavs

Nvmd I see the correction. You guys are fast...

20. justtxyank

Of course they do. Players always care about money. I could see Lebron taking a paycut because he makes a ton outside of the NBA (ESPN said today he makes $70 million a year) but that is not the norm for NBA players in any market. Bosh might take a cut because he holds the pocket and follows around, but Wade? I just don't see it.