1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Agent: Bonds Won't Play Again

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rockets934life, Dec 9, 2009.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Guys was an A$$ and a roid head but he was one of the best ever...

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 9, 2009 at 11:37pm CST]

It's not a retirement, but Barry Bonds won't play again. Agent Jeff Borris told John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle that a return to baseball this year is "nearly impossible" for the all-time home run leader.

"If there was any chance he'd be back in a major-league uniform, it would have happened by now," Borris said.

It's an anti-climactic ending to one of the greatest careers ever. Bonds won seven MVPs, eight Gold Gloves, made 14 All-Star teams and is the all-time leader in homers and walks. He stole 514 bases and posted a career line of .298/.444/.607. Allegations of PED use and a reputation for surliness stain an otherwise spectacular career.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/agent-bonds-wont-play-again.html

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Hall of Famer

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Even w/o the roids he would have been a 500/500 guy maybe even 600//500 guy. Kind of sad how he ruined his legacy.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Dude WAS a Hall of Famer before he decided he was bigger and more important than God Himself.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Bonds took way too much heat considering he was not the only one cheating.

That being said. Anyone who cheats should not be allowed in the Hall. Cheating is Way worse than betting.

But, then again, that is why I am not a fan of baseball. Fans don't seem to care about cheaters.

6. RocketMania1991

Fans don't control what happens to cheaters. In fact every time Bonds played outside of SF he was booed horribly. The same happens to A-Rod and every other confirmed steroid user.

And fans and writers do care about cheating.

There is a reason Mark Mcgwire has never gotten close to reaching the hall.

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

More news at 11.

8. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

I see what you did there with the thread title. Clever...

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The cheating has to have some effect on viewership and attendance. Turns the appreciative fan into a casual fan into a part time fan, like myself. Now the league leader "only" hitting 45 homers isnt compelling. No closers on an unreal saves streak, no brand name super stars at the end of their careers giving it one last push with winning ERA titles, same big market teams buying their titles (though there really has been exceptions).

Those things are exciting any year they happen, but now the thought is 90% of the previous 15 years accomplishments happened by cheating. Why should the next compelling story be considered authentic? Sure a real baseball fan is still into it big, but when even the guys thatd neeeeever do it get caught and suspended, its just going to leave an effect.

I didnt think I'd be a baseball bandwagoner, but thanks Bonds and others for making me get closer to that.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

What he said.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

* on everything related to him

12. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Best player to ever play the game.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Astros should sign him. They are good at signing players which juiced.

14. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Heck, thought this thread was going to be about that Remington Steele dude. :confused:

15. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I still hate Dierker for walking him for 25 straight innings before finally giving him an at bat in the 8th on the third game, where he tied Big Mac.

Juiced or not, he should have broken that record at MMP.

16. Steve_Francis_rules

What do you think should be the required evidence that someone cheated? Admission? Suspicion? MLB didn't test for so long that you have no way of knowing for sure who cheated, except in a few rare cases.

17. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I don't know about EVERYTHING related to him. I'm no fan of Barry, but one could very easily argue that he was HOF bound before he started the PED. Was he 'roided out? Of course. Was he a jerk? Absolutely. But let's not pretend that he wasn't a phenominal, once-in-a-lifetime baseball player, drugs or no drugs. He most definitely was.

Now, whether or not he should get into the HOF, that's a different story. Personally, since there has never been 100% conclusive evidence that he knowingly did PED, I don't see how he can be denied the HOF. But I don't think it will happen until he is on his deathbed, or possibly posthumously. I think it will take a long time for the fans of baseball to forgive/forget his actions and attitude.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is SHOCKING news.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Best player of my lifetime. Best player I ever saw play.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bonds Won't Play Again
    ______

[​IMG]