1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After talking to king fans, I feel a little more confident about webber.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsfan34, May 13, 2001.

1. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

The media has made it pretty clear that webber does not want to be back. After losing to the lakers, webber knows he did his job for 3 years and the kings core isn't good enough to beat the lakers, and now he is going to move on. Where he will go is the question everyone wants to know.

Talking with kings fans about the future of webber, they themselves know webber is gone. If they had gone farther, webber might of stayed, but being swept did not make things better.

What's interesting is they think Webber will probably end up on the rockets. The reason is cap space and simplicity. It's true webber wants to link up with his buddy Spree, but NY has too many complications. Allan Houston doesn't want to be in Sac, NY is over the cap, and they need a 3rd team if not 4th team to make it work.

An initial concern was if we have signed webber, what would happen to mo? We couldn't just throw him to the curb, well we COULD but then that's not the rockets image. So I talked to the Kings fan about if Sac could use Mo. He said Mo is still a good PF and that losing webber, and getting mo isn't too hard to bear. Mo is still a great scorer, they would just have to compensate on rebounding and defense. I included we could swap our 13th for their 25th, and he said that was very good start. If we could throw a few more quality players similar to the MD + Othella for Francis deal awhile back, we'd be in business.

So thinking about the offseason, I think the core of the deal for webber will be a S&T for webber with mo. The reason why is because Sac gets a good PF, Mo gets his money, Rockets get Webber, Webber gets his max. The problem occurs if the max, playing with our backcourt, and our management is enough of a lure.

I wouldn't mind having both Mo and Webber, but realisticly only one will be here next season.

------------------
    Draftsource.net

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I would like to send Mo to Sactown too, if we get Webber. He played good for the Rockets, and I want him to get a decent paycheck for a team that has some future.

but other than Mo and an exchange of draft picks, I don't see what the Rocks have to offer Sacramento. Moochie? no(please no) Cato? I don't think they want him. Shandon? no. Hakeem wouldn't want to go there. Maybe KT, but then what do the Rocks get for backup pf?

------------------
    snap crackle pop

3. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Who the Rockets draft could be an indication as to whether or not they do a sign and trade with the Kings. If the Rockets were forced to do a sign and trade, then they would draft a player(s) for the Kings to package in a deal.

------------------

4. Cat5

Cat5 Member

I felt one of the reasons why Jason Collier was picked last summer was to do a S & T with Indiana (Austin Croshere), it did not worked out for the Rockets. Picking a player for a S & T can often backfire.

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Playa why would Indiana trade Croshere for Collier?

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

6. Sane

Sane Member

We can't sign and trade Mo, we don't have his bird rights.

------------------

7. MManal

MManal Member

Sane, yes we can, b/c we will be under the salary cap. Bird Rights dont matter once your under the cap.

Mo as the main part of the sign and trade deal makes sense. Last season, the Pistons knew they were losing Grant Hill so they basically exchanged FAs with the Magic (Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins). I think Sacto and Houston could very well end up doing the same. I dont think Shandon would ok a sign and trade to Sacto b/c he wants to play in a bigger city (which was his reason for leaving Utah in the first place) so I think Mo and draft picks of some sort could be the package.

As far as draft night goes, I am beginning to think more and more that the Rockets will try an Orlando-esque move on draft night as opposed to moving up. I think they'll end up packaging salaried players like Walt Williams and/or Carlos Rogers with one or more of their draft picks to a team with cap room like Chicago for future considerations. Since these offseason manuevers are going to be a tight squeeze, having an extra 5-6 mil in cap space can only help.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

MManal,
    That's what I think. Look to Chicago. Either future considerations (OR) a 3-way involving Shandon, Cato to Jersey and KVH to Chicago for the draft pick. Detroit could use Walt and Los. That way, we can bring in Webber, Dream, and a young center to develop for a couple of years.

------------------

9. Toast

Toast Member

If we can't get Mo to stay, then Sac may be a good fit for him. Although I'd hate to keep him in the Western Conference. Gonna be tough to play vs. Mo!

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

MManal,

Bird rights are needed to sign and trade. A player that a team signs without Bird Rights can't be traded until 6 months (I believe) even if they can sign him under the cap and was on their team. This was a big issue in the strike shortened season beacuse the 6 month trade barrier passed the trade deadline.

99% confident.

------------------

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Bird rights are needed to sign and trade. A player that a team signs without Bird Rights can't be traded until 6 months (I believe) even if they can sign him under the cap and was on their team.

Nope. There's no difference between a sign and trade and a regular trade, except the sign and trade contract contains a clause that states that the contract is void if the player isn't traded to the designated team in 48 hours.

Here's an excerpt from the Salary Cap FAQ:
    A sign-and-trade deal can be made even with players that have been renounced. However, a sign-and-trade deal cannot be made when the player was signed using the Mid-Level, $1 Million or Disabled Player exception. Sign-and-trade deals are only allowed if the contract is for three years or longer.

Notice that is states that renounced players can be included in sign and trade deals. Once you renounce a player you don't have their Bird rights for a year, so obviously you don't need Bird Rights to do a sign and trade.

http://www.members.home.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#68

Also, there isn't any such restriction as you mentioned on trading players signed without Bird Rights.

------------------

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited May 14, 2001).]