1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After Olympic berth, Yao aims for NBA playoffs or

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vunny1408, Oct 5, 2003.

1. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/50761/1/.html
    -------------------

BEIJING (AFP): Fresh from winning a ticket to the 2004 Olympic Games, NBA sensation Yao Ming said his next challenge was to fit into the system of his new coach Jeff Van Gundy and help the Houston Rockets make next year's playoffs.

Yao left his hometown Shanghai for Houston only days after leading the Chinese team to the Asian Basketball Championships and bagging the region's only berth to the Athens Olympic Games.

"My main goal for the upcoming (NBA) season is to get to the playoffs and try to improve myself under the tutelage of coach Van Gundy," Yao told AFP.

"I'm not going to worry about statistics, I just want to play within myself and try my hardest to improve."

The 2.25 meter (seven-foot, six inch) center also said he hoped that by the end of the 82 game NBA season he would be fluent in English, despite an obvious improvement from a year ago when he entered his rookie season in the world's top basketball league.

Yao and his manager Eric Zhang refused to discuss a reported 100 million dollar contract with shoe-maker Reebok, but sources close to the talks said lawyers were going over the final details of a seven- to 10-year pact that would be one of the most lucrative endorsement contracts in sports history.

"We don't discuss details of our commercial contracts," Zhang said.

During the Asian Championships, Yao, who turned 23 on September 9, wore Reeboks as he dominated the field averaging over 22 points a game and 13 rebounds.

China played eight games in the championships but in the early rounds Yao split playing time with Toronto Raptor center Menk Batere. However, in Wednesday night's final Yao played the entire 40 minutes, scoring 30 points and snaring 15 rebounds in a hotly contested 106-96 win over South Korea.

In previous years the offense of the Chinese national team was geared toward getting the ball to the forwards, but this year it was obviously Yao's team as the first option was to let both Yao and Batere do the scoring.

The situation is likely to be the same in Houston, where new coach Van Gundy has also brought legendary NBA center Patrick Ewing in as an assistant coach in charge of tutoring Yao.

Although sources close to the Chinese national team said Yao complained of being tired during the championships and four months of training and warm up games before the tournament, he denied he would be suffering from fatigue when he arrives to Houston.

"Obviously, I will have a lot of work to do when I get back, but I'm looking forward to the challenge."

As for his rookie year in the NBA, Yao said one of the most amusing aspects for him was to see so many NBA players with tattoos of Chinese characters on their bodies.

The favorite character for a lot of players is "li" or power. All Star guard Allen Iverson has the word "zhong" or loyalty, stamped to his neck.

"Some of the Chinese on some of the players arms is a new language to me, the characters don't make sense," Yao said.

"But for me it is a lot of fun, it shows the international aspect of the game and it also shows the individuality of the player. It made me happy to see so much Chinese in the league."

2. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

We just need this kind of attitude to be found in other Rockets players.

3. tsl99

tsl99 Member

Yeah, show this to the guys like to hog the ball, you know who I am talking about.

4. Absolut_RoxFan

Absolut_RoxFan Contributing Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA..... That's just hilarious.

5. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

September 9...happy belated birthday Yao.

6. munco

munco Member

ha, ha. can't wait for more of those funny comments from yao.

7. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yao is a great interview... he had some great lines with Bill and Calvin last year. I think my favorite was when Calvin was riling him about his driving skills (as usual) and said that with his height, maybe he'd be more comfortable in a convertable. Yao replied that he wouldn't drive a convertable because his hair would get messed up, a problem Calvin didn't have to deal with!

I recall another time he stole Calvin's glasses and placed them on Eddie Griffin over on the bench. Yao's a funny guy.

8. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

This is refreshing. It's nice to hear Yao fired up about the season. I was worried that as soon as he got here, all he'd talk about is how he's looking forward to sleeping. (not that anyone could blame him).