1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After last 2 games I have a question about TMac.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Mar 20, 2008.

1. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Ok I know there have been articles about how TMac hasn't been trying last few games, and honestly I agree completely with them.

This is not some stupid trade thread because I know TMac isn't going anywhere, but a couple questions that I wanted input on:

1) Do you guys think TMac is actually not trying hard last few games or are defenses just surrounding him because our role players have gone ice cold from 3?

2) Do you guys think a player like AI or Arenas (like a shoot happy, small sized 2, who can hit clutch shots) would actually be better than TMac? Obviously someone like Kobe or Lebron would be but I'm talking about TMac's level (those 2 try harder but sorry 6'8" vs. 6'2ish" makes a big difference in the NBA).

Well my opinions:
    1) I think Tmac has been absolutely LAZY on the court, this is crap he always pulls and I don't know why. He just stands around and he "tries" to get teammates involved but give me a break, you see Scola and Battier running around trying to get open and Tmac standing at 3 point line it is kind of ridiculous. I have to say, our role players have been cold and that has some of the blame its not ALL on Tmac, but what the hell TMac... move your damn ass you are getting 19 million a year and to this point you have only played around 2/3rd of the games.

I know it seems kind of like a bash, but I don't watch every game because I can't in Waco, but last few games I saw: NOs (tmac actually played hard and drove and dished well and moved around great), and then Lakers (tmac just stood around). He says he is tired and ****, but give me a break I can play for 2-3 hours a day everyday, I understand its not vs. competition he plays versus, but he is only asked for 40 minutes of true competitive play every other day AND he is DEFINATELY a better athlete than me.. I think he should be able to handle it.

2) I think a guy like AI would be a great fit personally, just because that guy has crazy heart and will to win. At same time, he doesn't exactly make his teams THAT much better, I don't know.

But it seems to me if TMac doesn't want to play, I'd hate to say it but we have to try and trade him this off season, I don't think:
    1) we want our young players to become as lazy as he is
    2) the guy plays only 60 games a year and if he isn't going to give 100% in at least those games thats a joke.

I hope he shows up, and I hope we win a playoff series, but I mean right now during times like these at during times late in the Jazz series I can see why the guy as good and as clutch as he is at times, hasn't gotten out of the 1st round.

2. Cygnus33

Cygnus33 Rookie

Like I've said before, he's tired. Boston's D had a lot with T-Mac's play the other night, on top of his exhaustion. He had a bad shooting night against LA but I dont think he was terribly lazy. I didn't see the game tonight, but I did listen to it on the radio. I think he was a bit lazy tonight because of his exhaustion, and it rubbed off on the rest of the team. He's just tired right now, he needs some rest. I know how he feels. I used to play b-ball all the time and when I got tired, I would settle for jumpers because taking it to the hole takes up so much energy. He just doesn't have any energy right now. he needs a couple days off with lots of fluids.

3. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Yeah, once they get through this week, they should be feeling better. Not only T-Mac, but the team as a whole.

4. code_red

code_red Member

He was tired tonight. Just look at his face in the 4th quarter. He looked like a zombie.

5. Cygnus33

Cygnus33 Rookie

yeah, I hope so.

Hell week sucks.

6. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Arenas over Tracy? Heck no. The reason we're a good team is because we're unselfish and we share the ball.

7. WillG

WillG Member

i would trade tmac for gay

8. Cygnus33

Cygnus33 Rookie

You're an idiot.

9. tsunami

tsunami Member

why not trade him for a lesbian?

10. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I love this board. We needed 2 horrible games and those threads are back again...:)

11. xiudou@cn

xiudou@cn Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WillG
    i would trade tmac for gay

why not trade him for a lesbian?

Good job dude

12. ydqkang

ydqkang Member

keep watching T-mac's job on the court!!
    Win or lose?
    Just hope he can play with champion-heart like Kobe,that's it.

13. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

We need Jose Calderon to run the offense for us instead of relying on a out of gassed T-Mac to create his own shot or to create everything for everybody else. I think during these kinds of stretches Calderon could get everybody involved just as easy as Steve Nash and this would give T-Mac more energy during the late stage of the season. Lets face it this has taking alot out of him but to trade him is absolute bogus thats not what im thinking he just need help at getting the offense flowing when teams double and triple his ability and take things away.

The difference between Boston and Houston is Boston does it with star power and houston does it with role power and that is because of T-Mac.

14. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Alston is not really a playmaker at all.

Calderon is a playmaker because he gets everybody involved just like Chris Paul or Steve Nash and to put him on the same court with T-Mac is a lethal combination with this offense. T-Mac has to work twice as hard on offense to get a good shot up for this team. Alston has better shooting numbers only because of T-Mac.

Alston does not weave in and out of the lane dribbling the ball looking for open shooters quite like Calderon does or Nash. Could you imagine what kinda havick opposing defenses would go through?

Scola and Landry would have a field day with Calderon on the court.

Look at Calderon shooting numbers .450% from the 3 point line is also somebody you dont double off of when T-Mac has the ball or Yao.

His assist to turnover ratio is phenomenal best in the league along with his ability to be a playmaker and get everybody involved.

Calderon is clearly a big upgrade over Alston.

Morey needs to see what he can do to try and sign him this off season.

15. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

To be fair with Tracy McGrady

1. He was tired in the LA Lakers game, because he played 48 minutes in the game with Charlotte Bobcats, and had only 1 day's rest in between.
    2. You can't deny that the Boston Celtics are currently the best team in NBA, and is much a better defensive team than the Rockets and just shut him down completely in offense by double-teaming him. You have to understand Tom Thibodeau had not been with this team for 4 seasons for nothing; and he knew the characteristics/games of every of the Rockets players inside out. TMAC actually contributed 7 rebounds/8 assists in that game.
    3. For the game with New Orleans Hornets, it was not just him alone. The energy and intensity level of every of the starters in the team were surprisingly low. I attirbuted the loss to 2 reasons:
    • it was a back-to-back to the loss to Boston Celtics
    • the let-down of losing the winning streak of 22 to Boston Celtics; the adrenaline, the drive, the motivation were just missing there.
    Moreover, personally, I just can't understand why Rick Adelman did not deploy more of the other 2nd to 3rd tier players like Bobby Jackson, Mike Harris, Luther Head, Steve Novak, Aaron Brooks in the earlier quarters. To have the 42-year-old Uncle Mutombo to play 34 minutes was just brutal and criminal.

He should have rotated those fresh legs in in 2Q or 3Q, and reserved the starters for 4Q, insteads of running all the starters out of steam.....and got run over by the Hornets in 4Q.

16. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Totally agree. Those were 3 very tough games for us, especially back to back against Boston and New Orleans. Boston played great defense on T-Mac and even if he passed the ball there was nobody who could hit.

At New Orleans the whole team sucked. There was no agressivness, no energy. Tracy sucked but he wasn't alone. It was careless move by Adelman to put Deke (he played a lot) and Hayes at the same time. And It was careless to play pick'n'roll with Mac simply every time. Hell if you have Hayes, or Deke rolling to the basket off the pick you really don't have to guard them, you can focus on McGrady.

And I agree that Adelman should have used Novak, Brooks, Head. We couldn't make any shoot, I'd use Steve. Adelman should give more minutes for Bobby Jackson who is actually playing really well. Aaron also should see more minutes now, he is fresh, quick. Head is solid player and Steve Novak is the guy you wanna shoot 3s when you are 2/17 from the long range.

Adelman should now use those guys, especially Novak and Brooks. We are playing Suns and GSW, those are runniong teams and fresh legs would be crucial.

17. sabesque

sabesque Member

Oh come on! I can't believe anyone is sympathizing with this "tired" stuff.

McGrady gets paid very handsomely to play basketball for 7 months... We don't even expect him to play the full season anymore.

As for the tough defense thing. He's not moving on the court trying to break free. Hes hanging out on the wing and when he gets trapped he either jacks up a bad shot, passes the ball off or turns it over. Paul Pierce escapes double teams. Kobe Bryant is doubled every night. Go down the list. Superstars are going to get double teamed. Bottom line.

Truth is, McGrady has been playing horribly for three games. It's hard not to think about the complaints we had about the guy before the big streak... Let's see if he continues to play the way he has...

18. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Agree with everything except playing Brooks. He plays horrible basketball.

19. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

He was 2/2 from 3pt line and 4/4 from the ft strike to score 10 in 4 minutes against Boston :D

But I really like this player. First of all he can put the ball on the floor and he is fresh. Of course Bobby is playing really well but it may even be brooks - pg and bobby - sg.

Adelman just needs to tell him to drive simply every time.

20. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Hey, I'm thinking of starting my own TMac thread on nothing new.

And people with and self-respect are supposed to understand and comprehend what 1-star means.