1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After Day 1 of free agency...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

I'm terrible with the nfl cap, does anyone know how much we have left after yesterday?

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We also still have Clark. We also signed another guy from the raiders tony bergstrom and also I believe aboushi is still in the fold as well as Jeff Adams and DQ

3. Progs

Progs Member

Derrick Henry...

4. Progs

Progs Member

Too bad this is a weak class on receivers.

5. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Still waiting on Miller, Pleasant, Bergstrom numbers. ~$18.39m left before putting their info in.</p>&mdash; TexansCap (@Chapman_Troy) <a href="https://twitter.com/Chapman_Troy/status/707765959134609408">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And I think they can generate another ~5M from cutting Hoyer.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What do you typically have to reserve for draft picks? Like $6-7 million?

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Depends on your pick, we need 5.3M this year assuming no trades.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I really don't see the need to draft a QB at all now. What would be the point? To have a project to groom behind Brock? That's what Savage is.

That's the best thing about getting Brock - it didn't cost us any draft picks.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I suppose if they've totally lost any faith in Savage they might draft someone later. But I would much rather than spend every possible draft pick towards upgrading other positions. We've seen in the past that even 5th and 6th round guys can make good contributions.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I can't imagine a scenario where they do unless Hackenberg falls to the 7th and B'OB drafts him out of pity.

Yesterday's haul makes this draft so much easier in a way and harder in a way. Now, they can go BPA at pretty much every pick. I'd still like to see an ILB selected in the first few rounds.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think the Texans need to start preparing to find a LT to replace Brown in a couple years. He's coming off a big injury and is getting older...and carries close to a 10 million dollar cap hit for 2017. If they dont get anyone in this draft, then it will be priority #1 in the 2017 draft.

Just need to be sure to not be short sighted and to be aware of contributing players that may not be on the roster in 2017 (either because they're older with high cap hits...or they're coming off rookie deals and will be getting paid elsewhere).

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

While Fuller makes the best sense at WR, I think you grab BPA. You can always find speed later on in the draft.

If we can still end up with Hackenberg... oh man

13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Savage has two years left on his contract. If Brock does bust and we cut him after 2 years, we are stuck with Savage who will have no game experience expecting some kind of contract.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Agree; there is no reason to draft a QB: Osweiler is the starter; Savage the "rookie" they can groom and it's likely Yates or Weeden (or Hoyer, if he's released and still available) will be the veteran back-up.

I'll be blown away if they draft a QB. They now get to use every pick to address needs and depth. I would suspect speed and O/D lines will be the focus.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Fuller has bad hands. Really bad hands. Don't like him at all unless it was a late pick.

I agree. Jack Conklin is the guy I hope is there at 22 and I hope they take him. I could even get behind a trade up to get a tackle.

I rank the targets like this:
    OT/DL equal
    interior offensive line
    S
    LB
    WR
    CB
    TE

with QB a total wildcard.

I could imagine a draft that went:
    1) OT
    2) DE
    3) DT
    4) C

16. Hey Now!

Uh. I might very well list TE as their biggest need. It's the one position, of the ones you listed, that is currently the least talented, IMO.

17. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Thats possibly about it in free agency. Need 10-15 mil for draft picks. Maybe they can re-sign Crick, Demps, etc

18. Hey Now!

Far less; more likely $5-7MM.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If that happens, we can address it 2 years from now.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you aren't sure about Conklin, watch him dominate here. Keep in mind that #44 that he lines up opposite from most of the time is Deforest Buckner, who is going to be a top 10 pick. He consistently pushes him off the line in this game and controls him in pass protection. That having been said, I'd bet he goes in the early/mid teens.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cUrV2cgedtY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Will Fuller is a one trick pony. He does that trick extremely well, but still. He is going to get destroyed if you try and give him routes over the middle in the NFL. On the plus side, anybody who puts as much effort in downfield blocking as him can't be all bad, but I can't see him doing anything besides going long. That's something the Texans need, but not if that is the only thing the guy can do.

As people mention, the drops are an issue, too. I'm not sure it's correctable. He has tiny hands by NFL standards (8.25"). He body catches almost everything. Because of the run game effort, he's a guy that I want to love, but I just can't bring myself to buy in. If I were an NFL defense, I'd put him in press and knock him on his ass at the line of scrimmage every play. I doubt he can recover. He's too slight.

I am allergic to players who play in Texas because it brings out all the homers, but I think Corey Coleman is a guy who is going to play a more complete game and has a bit of that deep speed. Not quite as much as Fuller, but more than enough. The problem is going to be getting him to not act disinterested when he isn't a prime target.

#40 Ottomaton, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016