1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After 2-0 start, have your expectations changed?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by moonsh0t, Sep 15, 2014.

?

Have your expectations for the season changed after the Texans 2-0 start?

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No

111 vote(s)
    68.1%
  1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

There hasn't been many (if any) sure fire HOFs after 2 seasons and 2 games regardless of the sport... Duncan included.

2. Bob Barker 007

Things are looking pretty good... Texans 2-0 and the Colts 0-2. I don't know; I am hopeful for the playoffs at the moment, especially with our easy schedule. That is definitely a change in expectations; my original thoughts were 7-9 or 8-8 (which could still happen).

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

you guys are welcome for helping you out keeping the colts at 0-2, in return week 9 JJ watt is not allowed to hurt foles, deal?

4. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

Hundley and UCLA have looked pretty bad. I would prefer any of the other 3. I don't think Hundley is good enough to be an NFL starter without major development between now and then.

5. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I like the attitude and identity of the team.

Offense is starting to click. Fitzpatrick has exceded expectations. Foster is healthy and showing his old self. AJ, Hopkins and Graham are still outstanding. If they can shore up the right side of the line in the next draft and find another playmaker this will be one of the most dynamic offenses in the NFL.

Defense has just been phenomenal. Watt is playing like an MVP. Reed and Swearinger have improved a great deal. Joseph, Crick, Cushing are doing a great job.

Just love the direction and heart of the team. They will lose some games but I don't imagine them ever getting just completely embarrassed and outclassed.

Bill O Brien, Romeo Crennel and the staff deserve a huge amount of credit for the job they are doing. Clowney, Fitzpatrick, Blue, Fieodorowicz, Prosch and Pagan have all been nice additions. I know Sua'-Filo, Nix, Savage will get there.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but the gap in talent between someone like Duncan and someone like Luck is huge. They just aren't the same type of player.

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Not that this disputes your argument at all, but this is a good time to remind everyone that in his second season, JJ Watt had arguably the best season by a defensive lineman in the history of the league :grin:

8. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Same for Bryce Petty. I don't want anyone from a Art Briles/Kevin Sumlin offense.

Imagine if we draft Shawn Oakman. :eek::eek::eek:

9. Raven

Raven Member

I predicted 7 to 9 victories, but Foster's production could bump them into the 9-11 victory range, assuming he stays healthy and Fitz doesn't self destruct.

10. baubo

baubo Member

Depends on the price tag. Bill Barnwell wrote about his situation and compared him to Randall Cunningham. I think that's a good comparison on what RG3 can be even with his current issues.

Assuming the Texans don't see any QB they love in the first round, I'd offer the Redskins a 3rd that can become a 2nd based on snap count. BOB is rebuilding this team by building the line. And I think he can still be a very good QB with a solid line and running game.

11. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

the right side of the oline has been just fine through the first two games. newton has seen the light!!!

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Could the colts and Texans be trading places this year? Has their 2-year run of catching all the breaks finally run out?

Colts have a 1st place schedule and Texans have a last place schedule. I can totally see a scenario where we end up winning the division at 10-6.

13. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

I almost agree with everything you have to say. I wouldn't say Fitzpatrick has exceeded expectations, but he has done just good enough to get the job done on sunday. Given more time in the system, I could imagine him putting up some nice numbers. Foster has looked brilliant, but i'm starting to get concerned with the high volume of carries he is getting. It isn't too unreasonable to have Grimes or Blue alleviate some of the workload for him. Our WR core has looked outstanding, Hopkins is really blossoming into a star. The O-line has completely exceeded my expectations, and I'm liking the way Newton is playing right now.

Defense has obviously been a major upgrade. Most people would argue that the D-line improved the most, but I would say the secondary has made a MAJOR leap from where they were last year. Players like Kareem, Swearinger, Joseph, and our younger corners are making plays when it counts and creating great opportunities with the amount of turnovers created. Swearinger is my favorite player to watch in the secondary, but I think his coverage skills and overall awareness as a safety need some work. In week 1, his poor zone coverage at times gave up plays that resulted in first downs and even some moderately large gains. I believe however that with more experience, these shouldn't be huge issues down the line. Swearinger plays hard all game and he brings a swagger to a Texans defense that desperately needs one. Brooks Reed and Brian Cushing have looked outstanding. It's great to see all that hard work in the off season pay off. Jared Crick has been average so far in my opinion.

We probably will lose some games down the line, but right now I believe everyone on the team is buying into what Bill-O'Brien and Crennel have established, and I could see the Texans using this positive momentum to string together a winning streak. I wasn't sure if the Texans could claim the AFC south before the season, but now I think we have a legitimate chance of beating out the Colts. As far as playoffs go, that is a different story.

I still have question marks about are draft class however. Clowney looked like a dominating force in the pass rushing game, however the question is can he stay on the field? With Pagan and Nix, we haven't really seen much from them performance wise, and Nix is obviously dealing with injuries. I wasn't sold on Blue at first, but I love the impact he is making on special teams. In due time he might be able to make an impact on the field. I don't have much concerns about Prosch except for maybe minor injury concerns. The guy looks like a Fullback with his battering ram style build. Savage is obviously a developmental pick, so expecting much from him this year isn't realistic. Sua-Filo is still finding his way, and hopefully he can claim a job on the O-line. To be honest though, I sort of expected him to be a plug-n-play type of pick. Fieodorowicz isn't a decent pass catcher, and he can help anchor that running game, but the question is can he stay healthy? Overall, I believe this draft class is much better than last year's and it has definitely exceeded my expectations, however I have those small concerns about it.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Colts still have the Pats and Bengals both in Indy. Otherwise our schedules are almost identical. Those 2 games along with our head2head will be huge determining division outcome.

15. Major

Major Member

Texan have the Bengals too. The differences in the schedules are:

Indy: @Denver, NE
    Texans: @Oakland, Buffalo

NE/Buffalo might be a bit of a wash if Buffalo is for real and New England's struggles are real, but Denver/Oakland was obviously a clear advantage for the Texans.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We play the Bengals too.

The only difference in our schedules is that they play the Broncos and the Patriots while we play the Raiders and the Bills.

So far, they are 0-1 in those games and we are 1-0 in those games. That's why the Bills game will be big, bc we can pull a two game advantage on them purely due to first place/last place schedule.

EDIT: Wow, I jumped the gun and didnt see that Major already posted. My bad.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't think Mathis is coming back . . .
    So I don't see much improvement in their pass rush

I think our defense can go toe to toe with thier offense

Our offense maybe a little better than their defense

Rocket River

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Should we be concerned with the JAGS and TITANS?

I just don't feel threatened by them . . ..

Rocket River

19. rezdawg

Looking at the Colts schedule, they can still pretty easily pull out 10 wins. I dont see them winning under 9 games, so it would seem that the Texans need to at least win 10 to tie/win the division. 9-7 wont get it done.

20. rezdawg

After watching this past weekend, Im not nearly as concerned with them as I was after week 1.