1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Affordable Care Act vs Obamacare

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Feb 8, 2017.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

No one said the ACA have no problems. Fix the problems or come up with a better replacement plan. It seems coming up with a viable replacement plan is too hard for the GOP, I will believe it when they actually comes up with a real plan, not this health savings account or let insurance companies sell in every state nonsense that does not even begin to address the issues.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Jeez... state-run high risk pools. Going backwards with the Party of No New Ideas.

Exclusive: Leaked GOP Obamacare replacement shrinks subsidies, Medicaid expansion
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/house-republicans-obamacare-repeal-package-235343

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nah, it's such a good and popular thing, I think they should keep is just as it is and once it completely collapses, then we can talk about what to do. I'd hate to take away anyone's Obamacare, let's let Obamacare take away everyone's Obamacare and then we can get realistic about a plan that will actually work.

4. pirc1

I only care about two things from Obama care, preexisting conditions and out of pocket max. Everyone should care about these, no one can say they will not have cancer, high blood pressure, diabetics down the line, and out of pocket max will save countless families from bankruptcies.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I get that's what most people like, and for good reason, those are good things. The problem is that those things are part of the reason why the system doesn't work. If they can come up with a system that would actually control costs, wouldn't collapse upon itself in just a few short years, and wouldn't add trillions in federal spending, then I'd probably support that plan. If it can't be done, it can't be done.

I would rather have a system that isn't going to collapse or cost the taxpayers too much vs one with free stuff.

6. dmoneybangbang

Then just say those with pre existing conditions are out of luck.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. pirc1

Apparently every other first world nation could do this, except the United States for America.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They are. The media will keep asking questions, but the reality should be clear by now. Pre-existing conditions will be "covered" but that will be a smokescreen. The establishment of risk pools again will be used as cover to say they aren't taking coverage away from those people. It will placate the typical middle class, relatively healthy person who gets coverage from a large employer. They can go back to pretending the pre-existing condition issue isn't a big deal and be among the majority of people who just migrate from employer plans into Medicare. They'll feel good about themselves knowing there is a "risk pool" taking care of the truly needy and basically go Sgt. Schultze on stories about people suffering under the new system.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The fact that people didn't know that the ACA and obamacare are one in the same is a huge indictment on our political system , the media , and the education system .

On the other hand it speaks to the power of groupthink and our culture of ignorance and our lack of community .

Think about it , the people that think they were not on obamacare but the ACA must know at least 1 person who knows the difference. That person never spoke up . Maybe it was never brought up in conversation . But still , no one thought to Google obamacare ? I'm sure the very first link (that's not an add) states that it's the ACA .

It is a failure of massive proportions that the everyday person has not been educated enough to know basic facts about our healthcare system.

10. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I blame the people who branded ACA to be Obamacare. It was not the Liberals that did it. Every non-partisan media outlet (i.e. CNN) refer to the policy as "affordable care act, also known as Obamacare". It really is the more incendiary organizations that label it as "Obamacare". Now people who basically stays in a vacuum and shouts down all others outside of their bubbles should take some personal responsibility.

That said, while it's funny on memes and etc, are there REALLY that many people that didn't know ACA and Obamacare are the same thing?

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Maybe not , but I remember seeing polls that indicated such : but I didn't look closely .. Hell they could have been fake .

And I don't think liberals did a great job of branding. I think they tried at the beginning and then realized the "obamacare" name stuck and referred to the ACA as such a fair amount of the time .

Sure , conservative outlets started the fire . And conservative outlets perpetuated myths and slammed positive aspects of it for political reasons (or monetary )

Politics is ****ing sickening.

12. wizkid83

Agreed that is a thing that Republicans do well that I think Democrats can learn from.
    Seriously Liberals, hash tag better.

#192 wizkid83, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well calling it the "Affordable Healthcare Act" was a flat out lie since it did nothing to make healthcare more affordable and when it was called "Obamacare" Obama embraced that name because he wanted it to be his legacy.....of course now that it's obvious that it was a short sighted and stupid piece of legislation people object to the name, but when they were still pimping it out as if it was a good thing no one had a problem with it.

It's sort of like how Obama took credit for pulling the troops out of Iraq when it was seen as a good thing, but when it became clear that it led to the rapid expansion of ISIS he started blaming Bush for it.

14. wizkid83

Branding: #conway_the_discussion

15. wizkid83

PPS: I've said my piece and gave my thoughts on this topic in this thread and this will be my last post in this thread.

I've realized years ago (from my younger, more self-righteous days) that there's minimal chance of changing someone's opinion over the internet. It's only unhealthy venting that basically either plays to the choir or just serves to make yourself more angry. My recent posts have being more about giving my perspective and then peace out :D

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How was that relevant to what I said?

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I'd be embarrassed if I was a Trump supporter at this point... what am I saying, nothing embarrasses Trump supporters.

Trump: 'Nobody knew health care could be so complicated'
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/27/politics/trump-health-care-complicated/index.html

FranchiseBlade likes this.