1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Affirmative Action

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Major, May 15, 2001.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

And yet private industry is often the beneficiary of government subsidy, for instance large businesses often get tax breaks for agreeing to locate to a new city (the benefit to that city including the creation of new jobs). Why should a business that refuses to hire minorities get benefits from the government while remaining free of employment regulation?

There's a big difference between being anti-affirmative action and being pro-discrimination.

------------------
    We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town.

2. haven

haven Member

dylan:

That doesn't really work.

Here's an analogy: we have environmental standards, because we understand that businesses are truly just externalizing the costs of pollution by by not being environmentally friendly. Your argument applies here: they're a private company, they should be able to do as they wish. But in doing so, society at large is footing the bill. We all have to breathe dirty air or pay for extensive clean-up if we allow it. the same is true with racist hiring/admittance practices. If we allow private companies to do such, we live in a racist society with an extensive race-oriented underclass.

Not what I want in my country. I'll take fair-hiring practice requreiments anyday.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Timing,

Whites still make up 70% of the population. From the 2000 Census:

Non-Hispanic whites remain the majority, but their share of the population dropped to 69% from 76% in 1990.

Hispanics of any race now make up 12.5% of the population.

The racial breakdown of other non-Hispanics:

blacks 12.1%,
    Asians 3.6%,
    American Indians 0.7%,
    Native Hawaiians 0.1%
    and some other race 0.2%.

------------------
    "You sanctimonious philistines, who scoff at me!"

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No. If no minorities are stepping up for interviews, then as a business you expect me to go out and find them when I have another x number of people perfectly able to do the job waiting to be hired? That's foolish. If they're not coming, I can't hire them. This is one of the basic flaws of the argument more minorities should be interviewed. How exactly do we go about doing this? Post an ad in the paper saying "hey, we need a few minorities"? I can't manufacture a minority for a position -- sorry.

------------------
    NBA Draft Lottery is May 20th. Start praying now.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

By the way, Timing, I get where you're coming from with your point about percentages. I agree with it in concept and in an ideal world, but we don't live in an ideal world. The majority of people interviewing for those positions were not minorities, and they come to us, we don't go to them. The interviewee is in the driver's seat in that respect.

------------------
    NBA Draft Lottery is May 20th. Start praying now.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . . . . I guess cause I'm in the city but . . . it just does not seem like 70% white folx versus all others. . . . .that seems. . .. . . OVERWHELMING

I think a health percentage are in the rural
    areas . . . .wisconsin/montana/the dakotas

just guessin

Rocket River

------------------

7. haven

haven Member

RR: There aren't that many people in the Dakotas all together [​IMG].

I'm guessing the "white majority" is mainly in NY, Maine, and CT [​IMG].

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, River...that is because you don't live in places like Vermont.

The first time I saw any kind of percentage like that was when I went to college.

Growing up in SW Houston, you don't see many whites. [​IMG]

I was suprised to discover that Atlanta is 70% black.

------------------
    "You sanctimonious philistines, who scoff at me!"

9. Timing

Timing Member

Just guesstimating but if whites make up 45% of Americans and minorities as a whole make up 55% of Americans, doesn't it follow that roughly half of your interviews should have included minorities? Of course 17 is a small sample but when minorities are under represented on a massive scale, can't you see why there is a need for affirmative action? If minorities are represented at 30% of the white collar work force when they make up 55% of the population, that is serious. The causes for this may vary and not necessarily all be overt racism, but they do include economic and educational issues that have resulted from racism.

------------------
    The ox is slow but the Earth is patient.