1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aereo coming to Houston & Dallas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, Aug 8, 2013.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aereo will go live in Miami, Houston, and Dallas this September

Aereo continues to push forward its aggressive 2013 expansion plan — the company has just announced that the streaming TV service will be live in Miami, Houston, and Dallas in September. Miami is up first and will be active as of September 2nd, Houston follows on September 16th, and Dallas rounds out the launch on September 23rd. The controversial service, which continutes to fight legal battles with the networks it provides, currently operates across all of New York City and much of the surrounding metropolitan area as well Boston and Atlanta. In addition to these three newly-announced cities, Aereo is also coming to Chicago on September 13th, making it quite the busy month for the company. As before, Aereo's offering a free month of service to potential new customers. It's an aggressive month, but it's the kind of launch schedule the company will need if it still intends to hit all 22 new cities it promised at the beginning of the year.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/8/46...ve-in-miami-houston-and-dallas-this-september

2. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

So you only get over the air broadcast channels on this? It would be cool if you could get CSN Houston.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Competition is good.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I'm confused.....why would I pay $8-12 a month for live over-the-air broadcast channels to record? I can get the channels for free with an antenna from Target and I can use a PC with TV tuner card to record them for free.

5. Xerobull

Because your solution is not an elegant, easy to use solution. Most people wouldn't even understand what you just typed.

So the answer is: you wouldn't, but most people would pay $8-12 a month for an easy to use DVR system.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

No cable channels, pass.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'll just buy a 10 dollar antenna thank you

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

If you live out of the city this is a nice solution if you don't want to go slingbox

9. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

Thats like people buying bottle water.. oh wait..:(

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i've read about these services. lawyers tried to shut these types of services down under copyright rebroadcasting but at this point haven't been able to because every subscriber "has their own antenna" at the datacenter. will be interesting to see this legal battle play out. i hope aereo and the like continue to win, more competition is better.

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure this is really useful if you live in an area with bad OTA reception and you're okay with paying a few bucks a month to alleviate that.

#11 Scionxa, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  12. TreeRollins

Another thought... If you leave Houston and still want watch the texans, this would be much more economical than Sunday ticket.

13. TreeRollins

Can anyone confirm this?

14. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure they can track your IP. You would have to use a VPN that specifically is hosting a server in Houston. They also verify your zip code by checking the billing zip code of your debit/credit card.

15. Xerobull

CBS blackout puts start-up Aereo in spotlight

SAN FRANCISCO - Start-up Aereo is enjoying the spotlight for its online TV service in the wake of a Time Warner Cable-CBS battle over fees that has left major markets with a CBS blackout.

New York-based Aereo allows subscribers to watch TV online without a cable hookup. That hasn't sat well with networks, and TV programmers filed suit last year alleging copyright abuses. But founder Chet Kanojia came out on top in surprise federal court victories for Aereo.

At $8 a month, the digital service is a far cheaper alternative to big-ticket cable bills.

CBS has been a vocal opponent of the brash new player. The service is now available in three cities, including New York, one of the markets affected by the blackout. And it has ambitious expansion plans.

Aereo uses thousands of dime-size antennas to grab TV signals from the air. It assigns an antenna to each user of the service for a personal stream. Kanojia says Aereo complies with the law and that consumers have the right to an antenna. So far, the courts have agreed.

Now Aereo has become the unlikely beneficiary of none other than a network. Negotiations between Time Warner Cable and CBS over retransmission fees, the money cable systems pay broadcasters to air their material, broke down at 5 p.m. ET Friday. CBS went off the air in eight markets: New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Denver and Pittsburgh.

"This Time Warner-CBS conflict highlights the need for alternatives in the market," says Kanojia. "The issue that consumers are penalized in the market is unfathomable."

Reports have surfaced that Time Warner may start recommending Aereo to concerned CBS customers as a bargaining chip if the dispute doesn't end soon.

Armed with legal victories, Aereo is also moving fast into new cities. Aereo serves Atlanta and Boston as well as New York, and plans to move next into Chicago and Salt Lake City. And more is on the way, with plans to be in 23 cities by year's end.

Aereo subscribers can get 20 to 30 over-the-air television channels as well as Bloomberg Television. For $8 a month, customers receive 20 hours of digital video recorder storage. For $12, customers get 60 hours of DVR storage.

Kanojia says Aereo offers an unbeatable price proposition for over-the-air TV viewing. He says this generation's cord-cutters have a compelling alternative to costly cable bills by using both his service and Netflix all for a low price of $20: "None of the installers, none of that silliness."

Aereo does not provide membership figures nor revenue and profitability numbers, citing its status as a private company.

"We see an acceleration of over-the-top" service, says Kanojia of his business and others such as Netflix. "We think most consumers will start making that choice."