1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

aelliot would this trade work?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TeXaSalsa, May 23, 2000.

1. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

okay guys seen a lot of 2 way trade proposals. what about a 3 way?

LA Clippers
    Get Bryce Drew who they want
    Get Kerry Kittles to replace DA
    Get Carlos Rogers a good bench guy
    Get a 1st round pick to be given within 4 years from the Nets and/or the Rockets.

this works for them because they immediatly get a starting backcourt by giving up one draft pick.

New Jersey Nets
    Get Kelvin Cato a center who they despretly need
    Get Jerome Moiso or Mike Miller who we draft at #9 for them. we dont trade the pick before the draft. we can draft whoever the nets want here.

Get the #3 pick from the Clippers.
    This works for them because they get a starting Center and a PF or a SF who can start.

actually i think the Nets benefit the most here. another thing we could do is give the Clips our pick, the Nets get the Clips pick, and we get Swift and the rest falls into place.

Houston Rockets
    Get Stromile Swift the player we want
    Get Tyrone Nesby an excellent man off the bench

Get i don know Jamie Feick? or another scrub or someone else to make the salaries work

aelliot i ask does this work for a couple reasons. the clips take on some salary they can afford because they are under the cap right? the nets get i think 1/2 of cato's salary? or do they get full? can we use the 4.5 to make room for nesby? all 3 teams would be taking on some salary. do u think this could possibly work. it is a pretty fair trade i think personally.

------------------
    --TEX

[This message has been edited by TeXaSalsa (edited May 23, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by TeXaSalsa (edited May 23, 2000).]

2. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Feick is no scrub. He averaged 9.3RPG, 13th in the league. He's basically a double double guy.

3. TeXaSalsa

I didnt mean Feick as a scrub. i meant another player(s) including or not including him. seriously that aside what do u think of the trade?

------------------
    --TEX

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

mmphf mmphf!!

mmeemph!

5. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Keep Los and Cato, although he would be a nice pickup I can live without Swift, and would be happy with Miles or Miller.

------------------
    THE DEAN HAS WRITTEN

6. TeXaSalsa

Heypartner
    Uh whats that supposed 2 mean?
    did i say somethin? whats up with taht?

DeanBCurtis
    Swift is more than just "a nice pickup"
    there is a huge chance he is a franchise player. not to mention he compliments francis perfectly. i wouldnt wanna trade cato except for him. 'los is gonna get lost on our bench. Miles will not be there at #9. Miller might be but dont you think that having a franchise big man to compliment a franchise guard would be better than another semi guard?

------------------
    --TEX

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Interesting scenario, here's a really quick summary of the money using '99-00' salaries for everyone except Cato (I'm too lazy to calc next years salaries). If I missed something, I'm sure somebody will call me on it.

Houston:
    --------
    Gives: Drew ($1.1M), Rogers($2.1M),Cato ($5.3M) and #9 overall ($0 trade value). Cato is a 1st year BYC player so Houston can only get $2.65M in return for him. So, Houston's end of the deal must be within 15% of ($5.85M)

Gets: Nesby ($2.7M) and Feick ($2M) and the #1 overall pick ($0 in trade value). Houston receives a total of $4.7M.

Result: Houston has traded down in salary which is always allowed.

LAC
    ---
    Gives: Nesby ($2.7M) and the #3 overall ($0 trade value).

Gets: Drew ($1.1M),Kittles($7.1M) and Rogers($2.1M).

Results: The Clips are trading up in salary by $7.6M. Assuming the Clippers are far enough under the cap to fit 85% of this amount under the cap (~$6.5M), then they're ok.

NJ
    --
    Gives: Kittles ($7.1M),Feick($2M),#1 overall pick ($0 trade value). Kittles is a 2nd year BYC player so NJ can only get $5.3M in return.

Gets: Cato ($5.3M),#9 overall ($0 trade value) and the #3 overall ($0 trade value).

Results: NJ is trading down in salary and that's always allowed.

Amazingly enough, I believe this deal works. Pretty impressive! When I first looked at it and saw 3 BYC players, I thought there was no chance. You should get extra credit for not having to use Houston's trade exception.

Really it's a great deal for NJ and for Houston. I'm not too sure about the LAC end. It's not terrible, but it's not great for them.

------------------

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited May 23, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited May 23, 2000).]

8. TeXaSalsa

Aelliot
    Good im glad it works! i had an idea it might work cuz of kittles and cato's salaries bein around the same ballpark.

the clippers do sort of get the short end. but its not that bad of a deal. could we maybe give them the #9 pick and our pick next year? the nets would still keep the #3 of course. hmm the reason i like this deal is cuz well swift, and we dont get rid of kenny T who i think could still really help us. finding a backup center might be a little tough but swift could/should be worth it. now that it seems it looks pretty good hypothetically how many people would do this deal?

i would. thanks aelliot.

------------------
    --TEX

9. TeXaSalsa

and btw even though this isnt the greatest deal for the clipps its better than having swift refuse to play for them which he will do. btw the clips r so stupid this deal might be one of the better ones they r offered.
    elgin baylor would trade lamar odom for a bowl of cheerios if the seller was convincing enough lol lol lol. seriously though tell me waht you guys tink of this. i see a shot at it happening. not a great shot but a minor one. lemme know. post here or email me personally at greg01@flash.net

------------------
    --TEX

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty radical idea, I must say. But it seems to work. Feick is good enough to be a center, but he's not long term IMO, he's a worthwhile short term guy. I actually don't think the Clips would want to take on that much, which would be the stumbling block.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!