1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(advice) my friend is killing himself with meth.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chamillionaire, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Meth is one thing that I wouldn't wish on any family.

Yes, he needs to go to rehab and get clean , but remember noone is going to stop using/abusing drugs until they really want to stop.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If he's using meth, he's either braindead or suicidal.

Hope he get's the help he needs.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Meth users are extremely difficult to deal with. I have an Aunt who is a user, has been in and out of jail and lived with her parents until this year, when we moved them into our house in Texas (she is in her mid 40s). She is now by herself in California and losing control of her life even more so than before. She has been dating a drug dealer who is currently serving his 3rd stint in San Quentin. She is now mostly living at her drug dealer BFs house where cops routinely patrol. She is unemployed and will probably lose the house soon because they were paying for it with the money they acquired through dealing drugs. At this point we don't know what to do with her. She has been arrested numerous times, her current boyfriend is in jail, she has experienced past boyfriends including her fiancee OD and die from the drugs they ingest, but alas she has learned nothing. She blames everyone around her when anyone tries to help and only tries to justify her actions. She has pretty much become a lost cause. This has been years and years and we still cannot find a way to deal with her. I wish I could help, but after dealing with a similar situation for years, I still have very few answers.

4. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Chamillionaire-

I used to work in psych and addictions and I've accompanied hundreds of patients to various 12-step meetings: AA, NA, SA (sex addiction), etc. 12-step programs can work very well, but as it always is in these things: the addict has to want to be helped.

Some 12-step programs are "open" meetings, meaning anyone can attend (as in friends/family/support for an addict) while others are "closed" meetings and can only be attended by the addict themselves. No one HAS TO speak at these meetings, so he is free to just go and listen if he likes. If he attends an open meeting, you (or anyone else) can accompany him so that he doesn't have to feel alone. These meetings (and ALL of the literature they provide) are free. And they take the "anonymous" very seriously.

Re: Rehab, yes it can be expensive but there are cheaper alternatives, and a 12-step meeting is an excellent place to get information about these resources. You also said your friend is a veteran. Get him to call his local VA and see what resources are available. Sadly, many servicemen deal with addiction issues, especially if they served in combat. It's just a fact of the matter. Just know that as a veteran, he has resources available to him.

You're a good friend for wanting to help, but know that it's not easy. As long as you choose to stand by him and hold him up, know that it could potentially get much uglier before it gets better. Also know that none of this, at any level, is your fault, and you're only in it for as long as you feel that you can be. His decisions are his and his alone....whether it's to get better or get worse or get dead.

Meth is a brutal, brutal addiction.

Best of luck to you and your friend.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know what you should do, man. A good friend of mine got addicted to another drug that is as bad (sometimes, I think meth is worse), heroin. Happened when he was in Vietnam. The guy had a lot of friends, myself included, and though we tried, we could never reach him. Eventually, he OD'd and then we had a funeral to go to. Took years, but that's what happened. You're a good friend. You mean well and are doing what you can, long distance, but there's a limit to what you can do. Just be careful. Old friends can also become old friends who break into your pad, steal your stuff, and continue on that spiral. Good luck. This is a very depressing story that reminded me of something I try to forget. :(

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Please pay attention to Deck's warning. Also, addicts become decent con (wo)men and learn how to play on your emotions to their advantage and your disadvantage.

It sounds to me like your friend is a lost cause. If that's the case, you have to decide what effort you want to put into this to make peace with yourself. You should always be there to help him should he desire to change, but I hope you don't harm your life trying to save him. No reason to compound the tragedy that way.

Good luck.