1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice]How should I approach this situation involving a friend?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by IronTexan93, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Buy him a hooker that's fetish friendly. The whole night if you can afford it. Andrew will be a changed man the next morning. He'll probably have that ho dressing up like his anime b****es, and he'll have a whole new outlook on what he wants in life.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Eating beef is a real Andrew thing to do. That's why he's overweight.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I will never understand the fascination with anime.

4. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Thank you for the excellent advice. I think part of the reason I wan't to help Andrew so much is because not only am I an introverted(less now) person myself, but I personally know that same feeling of social anxiety as well. It was so bad to the point where without even thinking about, I would avoid walking down certain hallways in school because I knew that If I walked down that way, I would run into someone that I knew, and that result in a conversation/interaction. I would instinctively avoid social interaction. And even though I had friends like Chris, I wouldn't really socialize with many other people or girls, and I found myself spending a majority of my time in my room, playing videogames and watching anime.

I think once I just acknowledged to myself that I had social anxiety, I could use that as a platform to make change in my life. With the help of a therapist, I found that I could still do the things I enjoy to do, while still having balance in my life. The social anxiety is not completely gone, but I have enough confidence in myself to move past it, and I now look forward to facing situations in which I push myself socially, such as talking to a girl in line at the grocery store, etc.

What scares me is that I realized this when I was 17. I'm concerned for Andrew because he is about to be 24, and unlike myself who at the time didn't have to worry so much about my socially awkward behavior considering I was in high school with no really major responsibilities, Andrew is an adult. By the time he truly realizes there is a problem, it could be well up to his 30s, and then at that point it would probably be too late to really change anything.

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Joining the gym sounds like the best solution. Sounds like he will gain more self confidence by doing so as well

6. PhiSlammaJamma

If he is happy, that may just be his thing. But he should try things. If he's not trying stuff, then you can get him to do this by getting him to think it was his idea to do them.

7. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

I don't frequent anime as much as I used to, but I enjoy it for the same reason that a person might watch a movie like the Avengers, for action mostly. Animes like DBZ with high intense fights are mostly my favorites.

For some people however, anime is an escape from the reality of life for some. Just like how a person could play a videogame like Skyrim and imagine themselves as some legendary warrior, some people watch anime to escape the reality of their situation and imagine themselves in a different world in which they are powerful or in which they can simply escape from everything. Even at one point, I wished I could turn my hair blonde and transform into a legendary super saiyan like goku.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think it's important you to talk to him.

He probably doesn't realize that he's overweight and he definitely needs someone to tell him that he hasn't had any success with girls. Who WOULDN'T want their friends to tell them they are still a child? I know that most people who are socially awkward really thrive on tough, confrontational conversations in which you tell them everything that is wrong with them in your eyes.

Good luck breh!

1 person likes this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nailed it.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't think it's too late. I was in my 30s before I got help. I wasn't in as bad a spot because I'd gone back to school, gotten my degree, and started working. But I still had the negative social impact of social anxiety. The psychologist who runs the Social Anxiety Institute that I linked to before grew up in a time before social anxiety was known to be a thing, so he didn't really get any treatment until he was in his 40s or 50s. It probably is harder the older you are because as time goes by, the irrational thoughts and belief systems have had more time to really entrench themselves. But the brain is malleable and I believe social anxiety is totally reversible, no matter what age you are. The problem is with life getting past you and getting into a tough situation because of the condition. But I don't think it's ever too late to change.

Statistically though, most people who seek treatment for social anxiety are in their mid 20s. So your friend would be pretty normal if he decided to seek treatment now.

And again, with me, ADD played a big part in it. I was diagnosed with depression as a child and I've dealt with that all my life. But I think the root cause of both my depression and social anxiety was undiagnosed ADD that I haven't gotten treatment for until recently.

I think your friend should see a psychologist. I know everybody reacts differently, but for me it was a relief to know there was a reason for my problems. That it wasn't just me and that there was help out there.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Does he like girls?

And how does he make money?

12. Nook

Nook Member

No ****.

Repped.

Fat people know they are fat.

Ugly people know they are ugly.

He is well aware of the fact that he is a virgin and is socially awkward.

The BEST thing that he can do as a friend is to let awkward fat guy know that he is thinking about the fact that he is a fact, awkward loser virgin.

That will make him feel wonderful and CERTAINLY cure his social issues.... it would never backfire and cause him to be even more introverted.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You should definitely have a fat intervention. Have everybody talk about how deeply it hurt them when he ignored that Facebook Event and you saw him check-in at Carl's Jr 2 hours later. If people are overweight it is definitely because they are lazy, disgusting human beings with no will-power. If he tries to give you some bull**** about a thyroid condition, smash his windpipe with a broom handle and call him a 2-ton Twinkie-eating Leviathan.

I can't believe these kinds of people are employed as security guards or hold down jobs in Hollywood with the extra, appalling, sheer mass of stored fat holding their collective tracheae and internal organs in a perpetual choke-hold.

14. thething

thething Contributing Member

I kind of have the same problem as Andrew except that I: have two masters degrees and a steady job, am not overweight and play sports and look great, and I have had girlfriends in the past.

He can't worry about girls until he gets his weight under control. If he's obsessed with anime he can get obsessed with exercise. He could still easily get a fat/ugly chick if he wants one, but I wouldn't go after anything under a 7/10.

15. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Albeit he does have a job, but it isn't a very promising one. It's a part time job at tutti frutti, and he probably makes around 9-10 bucks an hour. He does like to draw, and he sometimes talks about becoming an animator, but once again it's the lack of motivation that is killing him. He is actually a pretty decent drawer, but he rarely will put forth the effort required to pursuit that path. I'm thinking about asking him if he might be interested in the Art institute of Houston, but I think I can only do that much. I don't think you can motivate a person to pursue something they're into, they have to do it themselves.

I think for now were gonna have to just settle for the mall when it comes to girls, because I also forgot to mention that he is a devout catholic, so he has never consumed alcohol and would likely be very uncomfortable in a bar/party type of situation.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

Studies have shown strong correlation between the two.

17. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

The really, really, sad thing is that I don't even know anymore. I thought he would at least watch p*rn, but I was told by Chris that he doesn't even do that, which shocked me.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Nah. He watches p*rn.
    Just fapping carefully and quietly. Gently into the night.

19. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Ever tried asking Andrew if he's sad with who/what he is right now?

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm sure he's aware of his problems. But, you aren't in any position to help him unless he's coming to you for help. So leave it alone.