1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice] First Speeding Ticket

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vstexas09, Aug 25, 2015.

1. marky :)

marky :) Member

I just got a speeding ticket last month and I didn't step foot in court.

The courthosue mails you stuff about your ticket.

1. Checked the 'No Contest' line and checked the box where I want to do defensive driving.

2. Pay the fine associated with what you pick.
    -At first I was confused and didn't know if i had to send a check for the actual speeding ticket fine($240) AND the option for Defensive Driving($114).
    -Called and said I only have to send in a check for $114 and didn't have to pay the $240 since I picked DD.
    -I'd call 311 to make sure what amount you need to put on the check

3.Mail whatever you filled out and the check to the court house.
    -What the court mails to you will list out what you need to mail back to them.
    -Your mail should have a POSTING DATE for the DAY OF or BEFORE you have to appear to court. I mailed mine the day of and I had a warrant out until the courthouse got my mail.

4. Do defensive driving and turn that in.

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

Forgot to add.

My defensive driving is due Dec 15. So there's quite a bit of time to do it.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

$114 for court fees + $25 for DD ~ $140.00

Lawyer fees if successful is between $65 to $80 unless I am missing some other stuff. Plus you don't have to sit through 6 hrs of DD

4. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I just started defensive driving. It's not a big deal. Just want my record to be clean and no hike in my insurance premium.

5. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

6. knits stekcor

knits stekcor Member

You said it yourself -- "if successful." If the lawyer is not able to get you off on some technicality, and if your cop does show up ready to testify, you will have to ask the judge for defense driving/deferred adjudication, or go ahead and have a trial. If you have a trial on speeding, more likely than not you will lose. It's hard to argue against a cop's reading of a laser gun. In either of these scenarios, you will be paying the lawyer fee on top of whatever DD cost or speeding fine you get hit with, not to mention spending several hours at the courthouse.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

So glad I went the lawyer route. I tried it just to see what happens and for the lolzzzzzzz

Spent $80 lawyer fee + $5 parking + 2hrs in the court.

Officer showed up and yet the case got dismissed. I tend to agree with the attorney offices that they can dismiss 90% of the cases from what I witnessed.

8. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

who was the lawyer?

and it won't show up on your insurance if you go the lawyer route, correct?

9. FTW Rockets FTW

I used Sullo

Nope.

10. The Boz

The Boz Member

Sullo has taken care of two tickets for me. Highly recommended. Last one was a hot petite blond lawyer.