1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice] College Transferring

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by drumbum, Dec 4, 2010.

1. drumbum

drumbum Member

Hey Guys,

So I currently go to a school where the Business program isn't as prestigious as I would like it to be. Fortunately, I got accepted to a great school and am waiting on a few others for the next semester (Spring 2011). The problem is that
    a) worried about assimilating at the school.

b) I am getting considerably more financial aid at the school I'm currently at, but I think that's only because most schools don't give much aid to spring transfer students.

I am trying to decide what's the right decision and need some wise words.

Thanks.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

What year are you in? Probably easier to deal with if you're in your first or second year. Also easier to do if you're in a dorm.

Regardless, find something to do... go down to the gym and play pickup ball, join a club, get in a study group, date a popular girl, etc.

You'll be fine.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

So you are at HCC and got accepted to UH?

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Live on campus at a dorm if you want to meet people.

May I ask where you got in? McCombs?

5. drumbum

drumbum Member

Got into NYU.

6. drumbum

drumbum Member

And I'd have to live on-campus for now. It would be a pain to find an apartment in less than a month.

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

You'll assimilate. Just make sure to go out there, join some clubs, maybe join a business organization or a fraternity, who knows. Just don't sit in your room all day webcamming with your old friends. I have a couple of friends attending out of state schools that just sit in their rooms on facebook and webcamming with their friends all day. Not the way to meet people

8. mosessmalone

mosessmalone Member

That 50k per year cost of attendance will hurt at first, but one you get a sweet analyst job on wall street it won't hurt quite so much.
    :grin: :grin: :grin:

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

NYU isn't worth the price. Shoulda gone to UT Austin, McCombs is nearly as good but at less than half the price.

10. mosessmalone

mosessmalone Member

McCombs students do not get anywhere near the type of finance offers as stern grads. Since NYU is in such close proximity to wall street, they get the best shot at the prestigious i-banking jobs.

UT is good but it is nowhere near Stern for big finance/ ibanking. You will probably find less than ten mccombs grads who got ibanking/ wallstreet jobs versus tons more for Stern.

If OP is not interested in that stressful, high profile stuff, then you are right McCombs would serve him just as well

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You guys are both right. As far as education goes, the two schools are probably very comparable. But in business, it's more about who you know. You'll benefit in that department by going to NYU because you can take advantage of networking in the finance capital as well as connections through NYU. Go there if you can foot the bill and not end up with much loans.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Congrats!

I transferred colleges after my sophomore year and ended up living in an apartment with a buddy that went to my new school. As they have said, live in a dorm. I didn't get the chance to meet a lot of new people and it's the one thing that really sucked about transferring. Living in a dorm + joining some of their social clubs should help you out.

13. drumbum

drumbum Member

Thanks for all the advice. And I do eventually want to get into Finance, which is why I am thinking going there would be the best and the benefits outweigh the costs.

I've only got a few more days to decide.

It's just stressful since up to this point, this is probably the biggest decision I'm making in terms of impacting every part of my future.

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'll make it easier for you: go there. Sign the form and mail it now.

Go to the best school you can get into and worry about loans/etc when you've got the baller job from said school.

15. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

So wrong, it's not even funny. If you're talking strictly New York, then, yes, maybe.

Every bank in Houston/Dallas is 60-75% UT grads. Even if you want to get out of Texas, there are actually surprisingly ample opportunities.

Would have to know more about OP's goals/wants, but OP should think long and hard about the additional $30K he will pay per year.

16. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Congrats as well, perhaps I missed it, if so I'm sorry, but didn't see you name your current school. Wondering what it's reputation is like?

With that said, while I did not attend NYU, living in Manhattan as a teen, I had friends who went to NYU, and spent a little time there. Some pretentious vibes, but it's NYU.

My call, do it, worry about money later and as awful as it is go for the most prestigious school you can get. We all know how the world works.

As far as getting integrated, obviously it can always be difficult, people already have their groups, and you find they are hesitant to add one more.
    But, I would bet it'll all work out.

Anyway, don't sweat it, it's only your entire future. :grin: ;)

Have fun, good luck.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Seriously, just go. The better the school, the more opportunities that will be made available to you after you're done. If finance is where you see yourself, then NYC is where you should be. The student loans will pay for themselves once you get that job you're striving for. ;)

18. ashiin

ashiin Member

NYU is definitely going to pay off, I just transferred myself to Northeastern and although assimilating is a little slow (specially since I'm a sophomore living in a freshman dorm), it's definitely paying off and I'm happier here than back in my old school.