1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adjustment to the way teams are now defending Rockets' small-ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by for-three, Mar 9, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

All 4 guys are playable and much better fit for 5 out offense and switch everything defense than:

Chandler Tyson
    Chris Clemons
    Isaiah Hartenstein
    Thabo Sefolosha

Switch everything defense requires 1000% effort so MDA needs to deepen rotation, at least 10 deep.

The above 4 guys are useless, either too one dimensional or just not a fit at all.

Tfor3 likes this.
  2. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

We actually ran a few different sets this game. He overloaded the weak side not allowing them to pack the paint. Harden went quick got a open lane to the rim to convert or he had open shooters. He also ran Rivers and Green to the corner and ran PJ To the other side. Nothing exotic but definitely made some tweaks to make the defense react.

3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

disagree but ok. Cool.

D-rock likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

I think that's the genius of Mike though, I think all those exotic actions are never really run properly and a lot of times its just empty movement that gets blown up. Mike plays with the spacing to make our better players more productive. I think its a very good thing we are seeing all the schemes teams are trying to throw at us early.

for-three, fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.
  5. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

The recent matches, Houston usually lose a lot in 1st quarter, shall they play traditional center for 1st quarter and remaining play small ball

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Agree every one thinks regular season outcomes matter, whole different game in the playoffs. Good teams don’t show their hands but seeing a variety of defenses prepares you for what may come.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

I agree fully. Thing is for some reason, I think teams ARE actually showing their hands. Like the Clippers very clearly came to kill us in that game, what else can they run at us besides what they did? What are the Lakers gonna run at us? Box and One? 2-3 zone? 3-2 zone? Doubles? Traps? We see teams trying a lot of stuff. And honestly, I dont see any of those strageties consistenly stopping since teams have showed their hand early. Only thing Im worried about is that whole forcing Harden right scheme, but I dont think thats gonna work anymore cause of 5-out.

for-three, fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.