1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adjustment to the way teams are now defending Rockets' small-ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by for-three, Mar 9, 2020.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

you thinking we should bring in Isiah?

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Yeah, we’ll see. I’m just worried about all the other playoff teams being much fresher than we are because we had to expend so much energy during the regular season in order to maintain small ball

if Harden doesn’t recover his burst and has dead legs, it’s a wrap and things could get ugly

slothy420 and Blurr#7 like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

at this point, I would give Hartenstein some minutes

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Harden is weird to me. Dude was playing bad went Clint was still here. And now we are in his usual crappy march month...so idk even know what to think. Is he injured....gassed, something else, things are confusing.

bro2044 likes this.
  5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I guess so, he's the only option other than Tyson. Maybe even Bruno? I think it could help if they got some minutes, especially while Russ is off the floor.

charlieaustin and HP3 like this.
  6. for-three

for-three Member

My point is you keep the defense on their heels by making the pass sooner on drives, when you notice them start to cheat off the wings. He’s getting swarmed by 2-3 defenders every time he gets deep in the paint leading to charges, deflected passes, blocked shots. They need to go back to pushing the tempo and getting the defense scrambling again. This is fixable, but they have to do a better job of reading the defense and not being so predictable/always forcing the issue.

harold bingo likes this.
  7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

"We dont adjust - they adjust! We just play our game..."
    - MDA

Welp... they've adjusted... and MDA is still playing the same game plan... true to his word... smh

@J.R.

J.R. likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The issues are not schematic.

D-rock likes this.
  9. BigBum

BigBum Member

Simple,
    When 3 pointers don’t fall, you rebound and defend.

D-rock, MrSabotage and Stephen_A like this.
  10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Find a way to get joe Harris next year. Get montrez or serge. Let’s go 2220-2021! As for this year I really dunno if we have the personnel. To me PJ sucks so bad he can’t even get a layup or easy 2 with or guy on him in the paint and instead passes back out to harden to reset. PJ is a big liability as great as he is. But it seems he is inconsistent with his energy and I wager to say that he’s one of the issues why the roc have been so inconsistent. The only guys that ball night in night out are Covington, Mac and russ. Harden plays hard but seems to back down when he’s smashed in the face a la Paul George.

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

the jury is still out on moreys legacy.

12. BigBum

BigBum Member

Sign 3 free agent bench, good idea.
    Harrell can rebound,
    Ibaka can defend,
    Joe Harris can shoot.

MrSabotage likes this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

Nah, I believe in him. Dude has guts and was never allowed to tank. I never worry about this franchise as long as he's here.

14. theglyde1121

theglyde1121 Member

Teams have adjusted because Mike D'Antoni has not adjusted. He could have made some lineup changes and gotten them out of their funk.

bro2044 likes this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

Meh, we are in March, we are still okay. Its okay if we end up playing Denver, its not a big deal. Better this happens now than later, we will be okay.

16. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Honestly, Harden controlling the ball less is step #1.

Step #2 is more ball movement.

Step #3 is that once he gets the ball, he makes a decision.

Step #4 is if what he is doing isnt working, then he changes it up (which could indeed include switching Harden to a smaller player while he is in the post... the man has midrange and post-game, and not utilizing it AT ALL is insanity).

Step #5 is stepback 3........... it should not be happening 10+ times a game.

rhee likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I got an adjustment ... make your open 3 point shots.

MONON and ApacheWarrior like this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Hit 40 of 86 (3 point) attempts. 47% (3P%) Same philosophy in busting zone defenses......shooters.

Nets you 120 points plus a few drives (about 10 if we go fast pace and net about 96 FGA’s).....throw in a couple FT’s

Verbal Christ likes this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

it’s a complicated legacy. Harden trade aside we gave up so many assets for CP3 and russ. Several draft picks resulted into nothing except for capella and a serviceable chandler parsons. Now it’s boom or bust small ball. One thing I admire is his willingness to stick with his guns in victory or defeat. If the rockets go bust this year I don’t think he will he gone but the questions would definitely be raised as to whether moreys reign has been a success with still no championships? Remember we made the clippers who they are today with 3 very good players and the future to OKC. With still no rings what exactly has been moreys legacy? This far its his willingness to constantly build a championship roster with creative deals including landing 3 superstars and his unmovable emphasis on analytics with flexibility to experiment with the game.

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Zone busters also mean big man that can hit at the free throw line/dribble drive in the center or pass out to shooters or play the short corner. Everything pj tucker can’t do. Draymond would be a great fit or serge.