1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adelman, Rockets disagreed over successor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pat, May 2, 2011.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They always fire coaches in the worst way. Seems Les and Morey don't have he balls to actually fire the coach and always want to have some other explanation.

2. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

The smoke are clearing, the mirrors are cracking, and the effect of the kool-aid drinks are wearing out.

Morey is cheap and we're gonna see a very cheap and poorly managed product out there next year from the Rockets.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This whole situation is just flat-out bizarre. I don't blame Adelman for wanting to move on.

4. worzel gummidge

That doesn't make much sense. The Rockets were a top 5 in defense under Adelman when Yao was healthy. Turner's defensive schemes were different to Thibs's. So it wasn't a holdover of JVG's influence.

As Clutch revealed Alexander wanted to fire Adelman in January. Rumors had it he had looked at replacing Adelman for while before then. It's beginning to seem like they're still in the hunt for the perfect excuse for letting Adelman go.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I worked for the Rockets/Astros and Texans in their video production department... my sister still does, and several of my best friends work in marketing.

take it for what it is worth.. usually the gossip in the Toyota Center is pretty accurate.

1 person likes this.
  6. BeARocketsFan

BeARocketsFan Member

Viper Valley whatever coach as coach-in-waiting???

What a boneheaded, classless idea!

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^ Nook

So, let me guess: you don't work there anymore because you posted in-house rumors on a public bbs and then said what dept you worked for, so they fired you. thanks for the info, but i don't think it's necessary to expose your friends and family sources. How many brother/sister pairs work there?

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Has it been proven yet? :confused:

9. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Time to bring in Larry Brown?

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I have been trying to tell you this for years now DD. The problem with the Rockets starts at the TOP. From Uncle Les on down, this organization has no F'ing clue about how to build and run a championship organization. The last 16 years should be proof of that fact. I don't blame the players - they have done their jobs and done them well. If they fall short, it's because of a lack of ability and not effort.

I also don't fault the coaches because they can only work with what the organization supplies them and that hasn't exactly been the type of players that can allow this team to truly contend with the top teams in the Western Conference. They (coaches) aren't drafting or trading players - that's on the GM and the organization. Dawson's track record speaks for itself in the 2000s. Morey has been marginally better but that's only because his predesessor was so inept particularly with the draft. At least under Morey, when the Rockets find themselves in the lottery, they actually wind up with players to show for it.

And all the while, we keep hearing about what a great owner we have in Uncle Les who continues to preside over a franchise that drifts deeper into mediocrity (now 16 years and counting). Mark my words: whatever poor sap is the next head coach will be a dead man walking - one who is already slated to be the next scapegoat on Les and the Rockets' coaching carousel.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My insider source told me that the talk broke down when Adelman got offended at Morey's presentation of a spreadsheet analyzing the mortality rate of men at Adelman's age in order to demonstrate the team's need to look for a younger successor. :p

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

They were picking his "successor", so, after his contract extesnion, either Rick was retiring, or going to go coach somewhere else.

Based on the fact he'd be damned near 70 by the time the end of his new contract came around, I'd bank more on him to retire than to coach elsewhere.

13. worzel gummidge

People keep on throwing out his age as an argument to re-build :confused:

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding.

15. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Like I've said all along, Morey's full of *****. You already have a great coach, but your still trying to unnecessarily enforce YOUR unproven methods on the team. Adelman was not only forced out, but told to "mentor" his replacement unwillingly. Seems like the organization has turned into a dictatorship. No wonder we're the worst team in Texas.

In Morey we trust:rolleyes:

16. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

i'm a big morey guy, but even i have to be ticked off at all this. adelman deserved better. not a smart move.

hiring the best coach for us will make me forget about all this.

17. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Did you just quote yourself?? You need to be sure to read Carl Herrera's sig.

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

What's with all the hatred and negativity?

Rick Adelman was good, but not irreplaceable. We're not talking about our 2008 roster, about Yao or TMac, or any wished-for star to walk in our door.

We're talking about our current guys--who's the best to coach them up, to take them to the next step?

See how all the former asst coaches are doing in the playoffs--guys like Vogel and Drew and Thibs. We'll find a young upcoming coach too. The best time is now, rather than later.

For all those who complain about the roster DM has assembled, remember we had no cap space (still tied down to Yao last year at $17M) and we overvalued our players (we didn't want to let go of Scola for Amare, nor Martin for Gortat). When we let go of Shane, many here gave a howl.

So DM can't really please everybody. We are not GM, he is, so let's just wait and not panic.

19. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

You're logic is CLEARLY delusional

How can one argue who's best to coach the Rockets after we all witnessed how well they played under Adelman? There's no way you successfully rebuild without a good system for players to adapt too. Adelman's "system" was the perfect accelerator for the development of our team.

Instead of staying in his place, Morey wants to have his hands in everything. This article is proof the Rockets gave up on Adelman before the season had even ended. After all spinning the Rockets PR team did (some on this board), the truth is Morey & Les PUSHED Adelman out for a younger coach that's less qualified but more open to Morey's +/- stats. They don't wanna winner, they want a yesman that'll answer to them even if it means winning 30 games next year

20. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member