1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adelman may quit as Timberwolves coach

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Mar 21, 2013.

1. VBG

VBG Member

You think Spo or Scotty Brooks are better? hahahahahaahah.

His corner 3 offense is pretty much run by every team. The offense he started in Sacramento

1 person likes this.
  2. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Wow...praying for his wife!

Side note.. really sucks that the last few years of his coaching career has been plagued by injured players! Rockets battled injuries pretty much every year he was here, and now he's going through the same thing in Minnesota.

As much as I hate the Lakers, that would have been the perfect situation for him and the Lakers a few years ago, but the Lakers mgmt was r****ded enough to pass up on him. Really wish the best for Coach RA.

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Can't blame him. Having to watch the T-Wolves would make me sick too

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just because you develop a wrinkle to an offense doesn't make you a great coach. Look at Pringles.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sure. He has one of the greatest coaching records in league history and he managed it with just his good looks.

1 person likes this.
  6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Ricks is a great coach for dozens of reasons. He has the ability to make any type of roster competitive, which is more than a lot of coaches can do. He is a master of not only applying his offense, but adjusting it so that it fits the players more efficiently.

Even with KLove, that Minnesota team is nothing spectacular. Rick has them playing at a high level, regardless of their talent.

What makes Rick special is his understanding of how to recognize mismatches and continually adjust his offense in order to best foster players' talents.

Rick could start coaching the New Orleans Pelicans right now and they would be more competitive than they have been this season. His preparation before, during and after games is impeccable, and you can go through interviews with assistant coaches and players to find that.

He's not even my favorite coach in the NBA, but to say he is overrated is simply not accurate, especially from a data perspective.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Why?

He is 67 years old, is distracted and not currently coaching the team and quite possibly won't be next season.

What is happening now in Minnesota is part of the reason why Adelman is not with the Rockets. That doesn't even address the fact that Adelman was not on the same page as his GM.

I hope that Adelman's wife becomes healthy. I have met Mary numerous times and she was a very nice person.

8. Nook

Nook Member

It was about money.

9. Nook

Nook Member

The corner 3 offense existed long before Adelman ran it.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Sad to hear. But he really should hang it up given how crappy Minnesota's near future looks. Perhaps wait for one of those ready-to-contend gigs if he ever wants to come back

Isn't that the problem? That every team knows how to run it? If the Rockets can run his offense without him, why do they need him while catering to his demands of making Turner his heir apparent?

Besides, Adelman offense is overrated. What was our offense when Adelman came? It was the same old JVG offense. The one where the Rockets spend 15 seconds getting Yao the ball, hoping it's not deflected or stripped. One where T-Mac gets a screen at shoots a 20-footer. Like every coach, Adelman is player-dependent. It's much more important for us to find that 2nd star than it is to lament whether McHale or Adelman's the coach.

11. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

RA I hope your wife gets better.

It would be great if we had RA for our current roster running the corner offense. I could see shao-Lin passing to dmo at the high post and setting the down screen for black-amish in the short corner and then black amish coming up off the split and getting a free look at a wing 3 all day.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Well RA for McHale git er done Maury.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If the refs hadn't gotten all Shaq-and-Kobe we-know-who-butters-our-bread happy in Game 6 of the WC Finals (and please don't tell me the Kings weren't robbed), Adelman might even have a ring, and this thread conversation might be a little different.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

989 with 683 losses with a career .592 winning percentage speaks for itself...and in his 22 year career as a Head coach...this year will only be the 6th time in his career that he hasnt made the playoffs...

15. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Thread is about coach possibly retiring due to ill wife.

Poster sway the subject about how overrated he is already on the first page...

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

George Karl, Rick Adelman, Greg Popovich, Doc Rivers, and Tom Thibodeaux are the best coaches in the League today...

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

His teams have been disappointing? :confused:

He did great in Portland and Sacremento, too bad he ran into the Bulls, Lakers, and Bad Boys. If that rebound doesn't miraculously bounce out to Robert Horry in rythm, he probably has his title.

Those 3 teams all won back-to-back titles (with the Lakers/Bulls being 3-time).

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Drazen

He is a good coach now but those years in Portland with all that talent... should have won a ring when he had Drexler and Petrovic in the backcourt but benched the latter for Danny "Towel in Face" Ainge

19. Arthurprescott2

Does this up the likelihood of Love leaving Minny sometime soon?

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, overrated. He lost to Jordan twice in the finals and got robbed by the refs in the conference finals. Overrated my ass. Most coaches never sniff the finals, yet this guy is "not a championship level coach". :rolleyes: