1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adelman, Brooks on Aaron's reduced role

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 26, 2011.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

how is he our 2nd biggest offensive threat? He hasn't looked good since last year.

he'd be the 3rd best offensive player anyways behind Martin and Scola.

2. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Brooks isn't a superstar like Carmello supposedly is, but this falls under the same category as far as trading for a player who could possibly end up just being a rental.

If the Rockets trade Brooks without extending him first, don't expect too much value back unless Brooks agrees to sign an extension with that team.

Although I can understand why Morey likes to wait to re-sign his RFAs, so other teams can set the market value of a player like Brooks... That way he won't overpay.... But it could be a reason why we won't see a trade w/ Brooks included....yet

Morey likes to make draft day deals. I can see him being traded then to try and get a lower pick, or a sign and trade in the off-season

1 person likes this.
  3. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

if he wants it back he got to take it back, it's simple as that.

4. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Meant to say a "Granger-type" player back, we'll miss his scoring ability.

If he's part of a package that lands us a defensive big, without getting a proven scorer in return, we'll miss him.

1 person likes this.
  5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I actually think Brooks is our best offensive player due to his ability to get off his own shot and make it at a high %. At the end of games, I want the ball in Brooks' hands over Martin or Scola.

Unfortunately, that AB hasn't showed up this year. But I'm not going to ride him out of town because he's had a bad half to a year -- AB has proven what he's capable of and it wouldn't be smart to trade him when his value is at an all-time low.

1 person likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Brooks is a Restricted FA. If he is traded the team that aquires him would have the same leverage the Rockets do now assuming the CBA doesnt alter that. Brooks cant be categorized as a rental in the same way as DraMelo would. Matching an offer would keep him with the team who aquired him as the Rockets did with Lowry this past offseason.

7. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

This also Applies to the Rockets Team and Organization.

In addition to being the Most Improved Player in 2009-2010, out of 486 NBA players, AB has proven that he is a Very Special Player with All-Star Potential!

"On April 11, 2010, Brooks became only the sixth player in NBA history to make over 200 3-pointers and over 400 assists in a single season."

That's Pretty Amazing... considering that there have been over what 15,000 + NBA players in the history of the NBA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Brooks_(basketball)
    http://www.numberof.net/number of nba players/

Brooks displayed the Heart of a Champion from his days at Franklin High & The Oregon Ducks :cool:

What primarily separates the good players from the Great are not just physical talent, abilities, & desires but arguably & more importantly your "Mental" abilities such as your Beliefs, Understanding, Approach, Goals, Values, Discipline, Patience, Toughness, Work Ethic, etc. to the game.

#67 djperm, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  8. davestrate

davestrate Member

trade both for Paul.......sheeeesh

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Why are we worse than last year? Really?

Is that supposed to be some kind of mystery? Some AB apologists actually strutting that around in multiple threads as if it is some kind of proof of why he should be starting ahead of Lowry?

Do people have that much of a problem connecting dots?

AB was one of our more important players last year. He was our leading scorer, and closer. Do I think Lowry had a bigger impact on the team, both this year and last year? Yes. But that doesn't mean AB was worthless. In fact according to you AB apologists, he is our best player. If that is even remotely true, you would think that him being out for OVER HALF OUR GAMES THIS YEAR would impact our win/loss record, you know, a little.

While I do not think he is our best player, at his best(which he was last year), he certainly helps, especially in close end of game situations. The fact that we have not had him for 24 games this year, AND in the 22 games we have had him he has been a sorry shell of last year who is actually hurting the team now, is the primary contributor to why we are worse this year.

With all that said, we ended the season last year barely above .500, something we can still easily accomplish, even with our "best player" out for so many games.

So much for that theory. Keep lobbing those soft balls.

#69 CXbby, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  10. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

All I know is the MIP from last year is getting no respect!!

11. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Didn't I already mention he's a RFA?

You completely misread what I wrote...I said if he is traded don't expect much value in return unless there is 100% guarantee that Brooks will stay on that team. With a player going into free agency, be it non restricted or restricted...there could be a team willing to dish out more money than the current team is willing to spend. There is a big difference between a player already being on his current team entering free agency, and a team trading for a player entering free agency.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

13. inishi

inishi Member

What teams have you been watching. Ab outplayedbhim all last year and Kyle is playing better this year. Of course he's outplaying ab this year. He missed snore than a quarter of the season. You couldn't be more wrong. You're watching Kyle at pretty much his max right now, a solid back up point guard stuck in he starting spot on a mediocre team.

14. faraza84

faraza84 Member

well it could be they don't want him possibly getting injured/ or losing value in bad play if he gets extended minutes. Morey knows he's one of our best trade chips. I dont expect brooks a rocket therefore if the right deal comes by he's definitely a goner

15. mazinger

mazinger Member

Because he isn't that good? How many of the top players come out sucking after an injury? None. How many have a half a season of suckage? None. Martin has not had a string of consecutive bad games. He may have one bad game but not 2, 3 even less half a season. You can easily tell apart so-so players from very good. Aaron isn't very good. He overachieved last year just like Landry was. Very smart on Morey not to extend because 1 good season. When you string 2, 3 or 4 consecutive good seasons then you deserve an extension

16. inishi

inishi Member

ever player that misses extended amounts of time struggle when they come back. It took Kyle time to hit his stride early this year and he didnt miss much. Yao struggled too. If you think Aaron is so-so, what do you think Lowry is? He was on a hot streak, and is cooling off. No matter the minutes he gets, he's a maybe 10ppg, 5-6 assist, 3-4 rebous player that is limited on offense and defense. Ab is a proven 20 point 5 assist player, and delivered in the playoffs on a bad team.

Kmart did struggle a bit last year too coming off of his downtime. It happens...alot. You're an idiot to say it never does. This is getting old. AB is better, its as simple as that. Kyle is awesome, and I like him alot as a player. and as of right now, he is outplaying a struggling Aaron brooks. Shouldn't last.

And i don't believe Morey extends contracts. Been said before.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LePwqpIzBoI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

18. acjeitherocket

yea ABs my dude & all but i feel like he wont be a Rocket too much longer....

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

A lot of the players look pretty damn exhausted from the ridiculous schedule of b2b2b2b2b games the nba has thrown at us.

20. Hball

Hball Member

I understand where Adleman is coming from but it also back fires when it's your best player, similar to the t-mac situation where he stayed loyal to bud even when T-mac was the better player.

To me he's contradicting himself when it comes to winning being the main objective by not putting the best players on the floor to have the best chance at winning.

Now with his seniority towards Lowry and Martin, we'll continue to lose or struggle in close games without brooks ability to create under pressure at the at the end of games.