1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Adelaide.now] Newley shoots for the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Aug 27, 2008.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Newley shoots for the NBA

ZAC MILBANK

August 27, 2008 12:30am

HE'S tasted the Dream Team at the Beijing Olympics and now South Australia's Brad Newley wants to feast on the NBA.

The athletic shooting guard - fresh from his Olympic campaign with the Boomers - is hoping to hear from the Houston Rockets after impressing in Beijing.

"I've had a little bit of a chat with them (Houston officials)," said Newley, drafted by the Rockets at pick No.54 in 2007.

"My agent will have a good chat with them soon but I'm going to go back to Greece next week, hopefully I have a good season and move on from there (to the NBA)."

The 23-year-old Forestville product acquitted himself well against the might of the U.S. while also playing a strong game against the Manu Ginobili-led Argentina.

"It (Olympics) is a big tournament and to play great like that was a big thing for me," Newley said.

"Unfortunately we got off to a slow start with those first couple of games and that cost us. But we still won some good games which was good."

Newley was far from overawed taking on U.S. superstars LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade, making the most of his 27 minutes - second only to fellow Boomer Patrick Mills - on court.

It will be an experience he will take with him, particularly the words of advice he received after the final buzzer.

"It was great to be able to play against those guys," Newley said.

"You play basketball for respect and at the end of the game the guys were saying: 'Hopefully we see you playing with us one day' and that kind of thing. That's what you look for as a basketballer.

"So individually there were good things but as a team we didn't quite get the result we wanted but to still make the top eight was an improvement on the last one (Olympics)."

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he keeps improving he will make it.

DD

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has the athleticism, does he have the NBA 3-ball?????

4. diegot143

diegot143 Member

im glad to see that he is actually wanting to come to play, now a days you dont really know if a player will want to be in Europe or here

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he does, but it is inconsistent, probably needs to work on it some....but he can play...he has the right attitude for improvement.

DD

6. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

"He aquitted himself well"?

Was the crime sucking at basketball?

7. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I like how the Americans acknowledged his skill and gave him props for his good game against them. Even if things got chippy, there's still respect on both sides.

8. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Everytime that I look in the mirror
    All these lines on my face gettin clearer
    The past is gone
    It went by like dust to dawn
    Isnt that the way
    Everybodys got their dues in life to pay

I know what nobody knows
    Where it comes and where it goes
    I know its everybodys sin
    You got to lose to know how to win

Half my life is in books written pages
    Live and learn from fools and from sages
    You know its true
    All the things come back to you

Sing with me, sing for the years
    Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears
    Sing with me, if its just for today
    Maybe tomorrow the good lord will take you away
    (x2)

Dream on, dream on
    Dream yourself a dream come true
    Dream on, dream on
    Dream until your dream come true
    Dream on, dream on, dream on...

Sing with me, sing for the years
    Sing for the laughter and sing for the tears
    Sing with me, if its just for today
    Maybe tomorrow the good lord will take you away

9. kona-

kona- Member

He really impressed me during the Olympics. If he keeps working then he will for sure be in the NBA soon enough.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I like the Mills kid.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

lets hope that he continues to improve over the next 2 seasons.

he and luenan may be very cheap pickups in the sumer of 2010.

12. battousai

battousai Member

he should come play in the pre-camp. think he can shoot better than head?

13. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

Bring Alex Scales back to training camp... I remember he would tear it up during the pre-seasons back a couple years ago.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

They probably said that to everyone. Better than what they did four years previously, but still nothing more than being courteous, straight from the instruction of Coach K.

15. wingz0

wingz0 Member

He's impressive, but I suspect we already have our equivalent in Aaron Brooks.

Newley looks good. But still has a couple holes to his game. He's solid from the international 3-point line, but I don't know how well that'll translate to the NBA line. I do think he'll become a capable 3-point shooter, but consistency is something else. His mechanics doesn't look all that solid from what I've seen.

Plus, the bigger court will hurt his driving game. He has a good first step, but I don't think he has the kind of speed that will allow him to get to the rim against NBA types farther out on a bigger court as consistently as he can in the international game.

However, the upside is there. He just might turn out to be Luther with a few added inches.