1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Add Salt to Injury....Fegan Has Us now!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Sep 4, 2001.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Once again heading into a season very shorthanded on the frontline (I hate losing bets ;) ), <b>it is now EXTREMELY IMPERATIVE that we sign Moochie,</b> in order to maintain our offensive options requiring 3 guards.

damn, I hate being shorthanded on the frontline. But Rudy will not let that prevent him from attacking the zone. He has no other alternative. He isn't going to invent a great zone defense anytime soon, so he must attack with shooters. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rice with 3 guards a lot, or even Rice WITH Walt on the court. We just lost one of our key shooters. Rudy might get a backup thug, but that dude isn't going to start or play the 4th quarter.

We cannot lose Moochie, now....and Fegan knows it!

Get ready to sign Moochie to $3m start.

2. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Rocks will wait to see if they will get an injury exception against the cap for Mo. That would wide open their options. Jackson and Moochie would be great. Or even Mason on a one year trial ala Mo.

3. heypartner

There is no INJURY EXCEPTION.

It is called a Disability Exception....and a basketball injury isn't going to get you one. Someone has to die or have a kidney transplant type stuff to get the Disability Exception.

4. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Whatever. Didn't NJ get one last year? I don't think anyone died :p

5. The Voice of Reason

I recall the nets getting one for Jayson Williams and then he retired anyway giving them no need for the excaption(or was the excaption for kittles? or van hor, or one of their other cripples

6. heypartner

"Whatever"

Are you comparing this injury to a petition by New Jersey to get an exception based on the retirement of Williams due to permanent disability.

Did they even get that petition granted?

We won't even send in a petition, much less get one granted. I don't see Mo' retiring, do you? :p

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, if Mo is out for the season, getting Moochie back is even more imperative. Because without a strong PF starter, I bet Rudy goes to the small, quick lineup more often.

_C - Cato
    PF - Rice
    SF - Mobley
    SG - Francis
    PG - Mooch

Defensively, this team couldn't stop a group of 5 Air Bud's, but we will run the other guys off the floor. Damn you, Fegan! Come on, Moochie, tell your agent that you want to play in Houston.

8. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Crispee-
    I don't mean to challenge your <i>infinite wisdom</i> but I have to disagree with you. I do believe we get cap relief(average players salary) and I think Moochie's contract demands now take a back seat to either Mason or Jackson.

9. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Is Williams unretiring now? ;)

I honestly don't know the rules well enough and the situation in NJ either so I'll defer to those that do... as long as it's not you, Crispee, because it seems that you don't either! :p

10. The Voice of Reason

no, you mis understand me. i recall the nets getting some partial salery cap break for williams because of his injury, but after they got it he retired anyway, so they got all of his cap i think

im not saying mo would retire that is insane, he is young, and should still have a great carer,and hopefully with us for most of it.

if he is indeed out for the year, i do see us filing, and although purely speculation i could see us getting it. my reason for posting this is to point out the one silver lining in all of this.

cary on

peace

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Who is supposed to get rebounds?

12. heypartner

Nice off-topic discussion that flared up merely because homey's wants to believe we can get an exception for a common injury. If you did, you could go many examples in a simple Internet search, right now. Why don't you try it and report back to me. :p

Here's the news article about NJ's petition failing. VOR, they could still use it whether Williams retired or not. btw: it is cute how this media article uses the term "injury exception" as well.

<a href="http://www.poconorecord.com/2000/sports/local/baa13967.htm">about half-way down the page</a>

13. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

I have to agree with Bigboy on Jackson or Mason. Moochie would have/will be signed anyway according to his statement to the poster that saw him at the airport (admittedly not the best source (the poster), but it is (probably) from the horse's mouth)

I think the point on the injury thing is the player definately has to be out for the year and can't play part? Would Jayson playing in camp have something to do with the rejection, or was there a possibilty of return, like Kittles?

I'm still looking for that dead NET... ;)

#13 ricerocket, Sep 4, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2001
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I am not saying that the Rockets would get an injury/disability exception for Taylor, but the Spurs got one for Elliot (his kidney condition) and he ended up playing that year.

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't see how re-signing Moochie becomes that much more important if the Rockets already had some back-up plans for PGs! To me the situation that becomes imperative is the rumored Walt for Jahidi White deal. If the Rockets can get that deal done it helps A LOT! White is a good rebounder, solid shot-blocker, and decent low post scorer.

16. heypartner

bobrek,

right, you can get one for death or a severe ailment that is disabilitating. not a common injury.....the proof is in you guys finding someone being awarded an exception for a season-ending injury.

you won't find one, except in death and two kidney ailments. can we drop this off-topic discussion...it is done.

17. The Voice of Reason

Under the collective-bargaining agreement, the Heat can apply for “disabled player exception.” A team is given 45 days from when the exception is granted to add a replacement player.

In order to obtain the salary-cap relief, an NBA physician has to determine there is no chance the ailing player could return by season's end.

http://cnews.tribune.com/news/story/0,1162,sunsentinel-sports-80239,00.html

bada bing bada boom

18. heypartner

RocksMillenium

everything changes because we lost a big offensive component of our team. PG alternatives to Moochie are not that. Nor is Jahidi White, a mere defensive C/PF. We still need White, don't get me wrong. I'm saying we lost a lot of offense, and we need it to win. So the PG alternatives are insufficient if we plan to attack the zone. We need the 3-guard lineup, more than we did yesterday, and Moochie is it.

19. themugg

themugg Member

C- Cato
    PF- Griffin
    SF- Rice
    SG- Mobley
    PG- Francis

We'll be fine!!!!!:confused: :(

20. heypartner

If I thought reciting the CBA would have helped, then I would have recited it. No one gets exceptions for common basketball injuries. It would take a spinal cord injury or something like that, or loss of sight, etc.

anyhow, I didn't know you really wanted me cite the rules? Jayson Williams petition was not granted, neither was Luc Longley's, neither was Barkley's even attempted, and neither was Danny Mannings petititon. Did you see Anfernee get one? it takes a severe ailment....not a common injury.