1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adam Silver: No big events in Texas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's possible that illegal streams could account for some of the loss in ratings but I mean they were WAY down. At one point I remember reading an article that cited Monday Night Football ratings were down 24% from the previous season, Sunday Night Football was down 19% and Thursday night was down 18%. Even regional game numbers took a hit, though not quite as bad as the national games. I don't think illegal streams can fully account for that.

No one likes it when sports and politics collide.....I mean, isn't that the reason we have a D&D to begin with? So that the politics stay down there and don't creep into sports conversations? Hell there's quite a few boards where talking politics can get you outright banned. The two subjects just shouldn't mix IMO and when it does, I think a lot of people tune out.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I wasn't trying to be tricky, to follow-up with saying "well, then illegal streams accounts for that."

I'm curious in a truly off-topic manner.

Does anyone know if the TV/Cable channels with the NFL and NBA contracts is starting to negotiate with advertisers by estimating (if not actually legitimately counting) viewers via illegal live streams. They can argue to advertisers the true Live viewing numbers vs traditional forms of counting Live viewership whereby pirates are not counted.

I ask because overtime, this could be a legitimate financial loss (affecting TV contract renewals that could lead to lockouts and rough CBA negotiations), when, in fact, Live viewership is not really dropping (or not as much), versus traditional methods of counting.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would be an interesting argument to make given that I don't know how you would even begin to estimate those numbers. Perhaps they'd use polling data or something like that.

4. heypartner

You estimate via providing your own clandestine "illegal stream" and extrapolating. And you count by paying the major internet providers to actually count the streams being watched from a list of major illegal streaming sites...no different that paying Nielsen, I figure. You can gather those IP addresses rather dynamically.

5. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

No one thinks you're tough. Anyway, back to the gender classification.."penis=man and vagina=woman" is the laziest classification I can think of.

HakeemOnlyFan and MajorSeanBond like this.
  6. raining threes

I'm not tough,

I just vote and purchase things like Rockets tickets/Texans tickets as they relate to things like this.

There are many who vote with their wallett like me.

gifford1967 and basketballholic like this.
  7. raining threes

Not following?

What I dont like is for heavy handed orgs like the NBA/NFL trying to blackmail states into doing what they want them to do. All for the love of money. Screw them

If the NFL/NBA shut their doors tomorrow it wouldn't affect me one bit.

8. raining threes

I have the right to not care if the NBA/NFL exists, or has all star/super bowls in this state.

9. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Even as a rockets fan it wouldn't affect you? IDK I can see what you're saying to a degree, but I feel like companies are perfectly within their rights to stand up for what they believe in. Quite honestly, the bathroom thing isn't even a big deal imo so I'm kind of indifferent on if the NBA should even address it

raining threes likes this.
  10. raining threes

Not a bit, I love football/basketball and would start watching high school games.

These leagues have gotten much too big for their britches and not just on this topic.

basketballholic likes this.
  11. heypartner

NFL had rampant protest via not standing for the national anthem, and the NBA players did not follow suit. They even took your side and basically said it's not part of the game and disrepectful. And they voiced that dissent to the NFL protesting by all players standing holding arms.

Are you sure you are not overlooking that in order to only criticize.

12. Buck Turgidson

That's a weird thing to say on a sports forum.

And like it or not, the economics matter. You are talking hundreds of millions of dollars, involving industries way outside of sports. So think about it.

The Hunted likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is an ultra D&D type conversation which honestly shouldn't be happening here

but since it's happening anyway, I'll just say that it all depends on what you think "man" and "woman" labels refer to. If you think it refers merely to a gender role which is something invented by society then that's one thing, if you think it is something that refers to a person's biological sex, that's another. You can change your gender role because it's not a real thing anyway, you can't change your biology. I think it's absolutely valid to suggest that use of the proper facilities is based on your sex rather than what gender you chose......but I also think that this isn't something that there should be laws on one way or the other. It should be left to the individual organizations as to who is allowed to use their facilities.....and it's not discrimination if the decision is made that facilities intended for "women" are intended only for those who are biologically female though, i mean this is how it has always been there haven't really been all that many problems with it so it should be a non-issue.

14. raining threes

I dont like the NFL/NBA trying to force things down Texans throats.

Yes, I'm criticizing the NBA/NFL and think the transgender bathroom policy is lunacy.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

it's also important to note that in the NBA, the players have to stand for the national anthem, it's a rule and they can be suspended if they don't. In fact, it's something that has happened before.

16. raining threes

I love sports and enjoy watching high school/college sports just as much as I do professional sports. BTW, I've had Texans season tickets since yr 2. Spent about $100,000 grand.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You clearly love sports and dedicate a lot of time and money to the NBA/NFL, it clearly would affect you if they shut down. If you were truly indifferent to their existence, you would have not spent a single dime on them ever in your life.

18. heypartner

So do you have a problem with saying the NBA did not protest the national anthem like the NFL did or not.

You just want to point out your criticism, but not also note where the NBA solidly rejected in public interviews and on the court that the NFL players did...as a positive political statement...it was a big deal with media hounding all the star players for their opinion

19. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Show me the receipts

20. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

What I dont like is for heavy handed orgs like the NBA/NFL trying to blackmail states into doing what they want them to do. All for the love of money. Screw them

If the NFL/NBA shut their doors tomorrow it wouldn't affect me one bit.[/QUOTE]
    If it wouldn't affect you, then why are you here making comments? Take your overreaction somewhere else. Nobody is getting blackmailed.

The Hunted likes this.