1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adam Silver addresses Morey's tweet controversy in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Oct 7, 2019.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I've owned businesses. Harden's apology was no more strategic than Morey's, Silver's, or Tsai's statements. It was just reactionary. There was nothing to apologize for and doing so will just create a different backlash like Tsai's statement did.

You could argue that he's protecting his brand and that the repairing the NBA's image in China will negate the smaller backlash here in the US. I would disagree. The NBA is already getting backlash for being so deferential in their statement on the issue and they didn't even apologize. There is no strategic benefit to apologizing just for the hell of it. An apology fixes nothing. Chinese fans won't be happy no matter what Harden says. Maybe Chinese people are different, but in the US an apology does nothing during a scandal. Notice how neither Tillman nor Silver had to apologize. You don't think they have brands to protect as well?

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The KKKs right to free speech is protected here.

The government protects them at rallies.

China's government isnt doing that.

Deckard, Yung-T and hakeem94 like this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

The chinese protest has endanger the right of freedom of speech.
    It ONLY has made the headlines in all major channels and news sites with 10 senators making public statements, a presidential candidate throwing the Rockets under the bus, and a congressman want to form a committee to confront and interrogate Silver himself on the NBA values.

But noone cares you are right. :rolleyes:

If you are shocked that Morey isn't fired a) you live 24 hours in the past b) you aren't an american and don't have free access to the internet.

4. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

Point made but why should Tillman apologize? Harden's apology was to neutralize even more backlash. And btw we don't know what's going on behind closed doors relating to Yao and the Rockets trying to mitigate the shitstorm that Morey started. But for Tillman to apologize wouldn't even make sense because he did not need to. I did what a heady business man would do, which was the same thing that Harden did, get in front of it because it's too late.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope nobody actually thinks anybody involved feels remorse about the content of their statements - they are just sorry they upset so many paying customers.

I guarantee you in his heart Morey feel the same about Hong Kong as he did last week - maybe more so after learning what it is like to face the wrath of China.

Tilman apologizes because it might help mitigate damage to his wallet.

#65 Ottomaton, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Yung-T, HP3 and Kornel87 like this.
  6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Who threw the Rockets under the bus? Yang backed Morey. Did I miss something?

7. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Why would you short a stock that benefits China’s exports during a time where they are literally devaluing their own currency to keep exports up??

Even if the stock goes down, it has nothing to do with your thesis. Maybe you should stop watching left news sources if you’re actually going to bet dad’s money on it.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

A KKK supporter would be instantly shunned and banned from the NBA. The Chinese view a seperatist as bad or worse than that. And the Chinese government is allowing HK protests. It's not an uprising, it's protests turned violent. They are saying if you support that it's fine, but we are not going to give you anymore money. From my pov it isn't rational because I don't equate separatist to KKK members, but I can see how it is perfectly rational from theirs.

Two cultures have two vastly different histories. Our pov towards racism is shaped by our history with slavery. China had no such history and view racism as akin to stereotyping, something not that serious. Meanwhile their pov towards seperatism is shaped by their history of getting carved up by foreigners. It is as sensitive a subject as it gets. Not understand this divide is the source of all this controversy.

#68 CXbby, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    hakeem94 and Kornel87 like this.
  9. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

Please go somewhere else with that "not american" rhetoric. Also, from a financial POV, Morey should be fired. He just had a lack of wherewithal. That's my point. Everyone has the right to say what they want. The person or people being spoken to also have to RIGHT to react to what was being said. Freedom of speech is not a one way street.

10. csj

csj Member

1000 / 30 = 33.3 million so you are a factor or 10 off, or a factor of 30 off when you account for the tripling...so there you go.

Yung-T, hakeem94 and Kornel87 like this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

While its a sensitive issue,we arent firing Morey over it, nor should we. Deleted the tweet and made a statement, let them deal it, Morey isnt going anywhere.

Bro, he doesnt live in China . He deleted his tweet and offered a statement. Chinese government getting their feelings hurt and trying to get rid of our gm. Im say this again, these are the HOUSTON Rockets, they arent owned by the Chinese government.

12. csj

csj Member

Or is the excuse for "all this controversy". Meanwhile, there's a far simpler explanation, it's just one that doesn't make the Chinese government look so good. Territorial sovereignty is the most basic excuse. Remember Hussain's reason for invading Kuwait? Restoring territorial sovereignty.

Don't buy it for a moment.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

ESPN's the Jump didn't want any part of this controversy, lol.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les Alexander changed that
    I'll tell you when it was the Houston Rockets, it's when Hakeem Olajuwon who went to the University of Houston won back to back titles and there were city wide parades and celebrations

then Les Alexander changed the colors and logo to blue and pinstripe so he can attempt to sell more jerseys
    then it turned china red when we got Yao Ming
    then he invested so much money in China, that all we got were chinese ads in the stadium
    then every city edition jersey is in chinese

so I don't blame the Chinese fans to think it's their team, because Les made its their team so he can get their money and raise the value of the Rockets to sell and become a billionaire (originally bought the team for 85 million)

Spacemoth, JeffB, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

And he stole "our" trophies too!!!

tinman likes this.
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

moved them to Florida, which is almost a foreign country

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Basically Les is "Florida Man" to me now.

tinman likes this.
  18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Your initial post wasn't about the nba.