1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adam and Lance is terrible

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by otis thorpe, Sep 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Pallilo is the only guy I can tolerate, so no morning sports radio for me. Which is fine.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Pearl Jam radio on Sirius in the mornings, Charlie in the afternoons for me.

3. conquistador#11

One of the best to ever do it. I loved me some alyson footer segments too.That was the golden era of houston sports talk. I felt they were able to get the right amount of sports and humor back then.

Now they just bring in dorks from Syracuse who want to take the human and magical elements away from sports and have spreadsheets face each other instead. dorks that believe the best team should always win, even if they didn't win. Dorks that believe coaching isn't important. Dorks that believe the rockets couldn't take care of the bulls in 94 or 95. Dorks that believe the latest thing is the best thing ever. Dorks that believe the patriots reign supreme but never show the respect to the 30 years of painful suffering by that city. end rant

charlie pallilo made it possible for all of you to wear polo shirts and khakis! hail the truest of kings.

as for lance, I feel the league has figured him out.:p

I need matt thomas in his regular slot now that baseball is about to begin.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Hammer, meet nail.

SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS. I don't mind the off the wall discussions at all, I get bored to death of Texans talk, the Rox are terrible and the interviews with the 'Stros were great this AM. Once baseball starts they will talk baseball a lot, he's all into Club Astros. Just by reading this thread I can tell who would be pretty fun to hang with for a few beers and those I'd rather sit away from as I don't care for "serious talk with dudes" after I leave work. I enjoy dork humor, they provide it.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Man, we should totally have a beer sometime then, because I think what you just wrote a lot :)

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I want to have beer babies with MadMax and Groogrux.

7. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I listened to 790 every morning before the switch and liked Lance then, including all off-topic stuff. For some reason, the new show just isn't doing it for me.

8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

People just hate on Clanton cause he can tweet some pretty dumb stuff but these guys are pretty good in my opinion.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Clanton sounds like the douchy kid from high school that we stopped keeping in touch with after we went our separate ways. You know, once in a while he'll come back in town but you only have a reunion night because one person in your group is more fond of him than any of the others are. Plus Clanton's taste in women is entirely superficial. He's just generally a very superficial guy, drives red convertibles etc and gets lots of traffic tickets.

Lance I think earns the hate of a ton of posters here simply due to penis envy. They envy his job as a sportstalk host and NFL.com staff writer who gets to do TV work during the draft, and they hate how much he talks about his coach-dad and his home life and puts it out there for other listeners to get jealous of. That's the only other way I can justify the hatred for a man who grew up in Houston, shares all of our sentiments regarding our teams (unlike a lot of radiohosts who come from the northeast and don't have any emotional investment in how our teams do *cough* Palillo *cough* Nick the Underbite *cough* b**** Lord *cough*), and actually has some real insight into the goings on in the front offices of some of our sports franchises.

Sure, he's not as sharp as the experienced Clutchfans poster when it comes to day-in day-out Rockets stuff--and probably isn't extremely wired in to baseball news either--but he's still better than all the other hosts on the radio in terms of knowledge. And when it comes to football, there's probably no one on Clutchfans or anywhere else (sorry Brett Kollman, that Ryan Mallet hype article pretty much destroyed your credibility for me) that gives as original and prescient a take on current Texans players, draft prospects, and NFL free agents.

I listen to Lance sometimes for the impressions, but mostly I do it because there's no one else in town who has an original opinion on things. They pretty much just take the national storyline and run with it. Or if they're like 610, they'll just make hot takes on tired Texans storylines and milk the golden cow all day.

1 person likes this.
  10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Eh, I like tales of Mr. Bonko and snacks! :grin:

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

MT is the best thing about 790. LZ grows tiresome but i still enjoy the banter. as mentioned, loved the interviews with stros this morning.

charlie says the same things over, and over, and over, and over, and over again in his obnoxious, sneering tone. please don't waste your time b****ing about how "no one in houston" cares about college basketball or hockey. stop quoting harden in his stupid "those who mind don't matter" commercial. and for the love of god, it's daryl MORE-REE, not MORE-RAY.

i think it's the dumb ny accent combined with the weird prose-like way he talks

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Lance had a mini breakdown I didn't understand this morning where he told the listeners if they don't trust the person making the draft picks for the team that they should stop following the team. He ended up apologizing for the outburst shortly after but he has a tendency to contradict himself... in this case he's repeatedly said that he doesn't trust Rick Smith.

13. LonghornFan

He was probably up late with Snacks last night. Kid sounds like a demon.

14. jdh008

jdh008 Member

100% agree. I understand that everyone's tastes in sports talk radio are different, but for me personally, I get so incredibly tired of super serious, earnest sports talk. It's one of the reasons that I've always enjoyed Lance, almost regardless of who he is paired with, and that currently, the Dan LeBatard Show is my favorite national sports talk show going.

To me, the best sports talk shows understand that they are in the entertainment business more than they are in the sports business. We can get super earnest sports discussion in a million places at any given time, but it's rare when you find hosts that are genuinely entertaining. And for me, entertaining equals shooting the breeze about irreverent sports topics, random stuff in pop culture, or "inside baseball" topics that only regular listeners will understand more than it equals another overwrought discussion about the NFL Draft or, from a local perspective, another breakdown of a basketball game from last night that was also broken down on the radio post-game show, the TV post-game show, on every local radio program, and if it's a big enough game, on ESPN or TNT.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

A little off topic, but does anyone listen to Mad Dog radio on SIRIUSXM? Was kinda entertaining the last few days when MD and the morning show were b****ing about one another. Honestly can't really stand Russo for more than a few mins, so I have no idea how the guy got so big.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The way I look at it is, the local guys aren't as good as the national guys in terms of entertainment value. If I want nothing but entertainment for an hour, I'd probably listen to FM morning shows or a national sports show. What FM radio and national guys can't give me is local sports talk. I'm not looking for it to be super serious, but when 30-40 minutes or more of an hour is centered around non-sports, it ain't sports talk.

That being said, Matt Thomas in the noon hour was the one exception because I thought the guy's show was entertaining despite the fact it wasn't centered around hardcore sportstalk. He, Ross, and his deranged callers (that all seemed to wake up just in time for his show) all worked together to make for something hilarious at times. That aspect seems to have been lost when he joined the morning show.

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

they just did steven avery/brendan dassey impressions and i am CRYING

18. LonghornFan

That was gold, Jerry! My cheeks hurt from laughing.

19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Hey Matt Baloney is on now talking about his new band! Hey Matt, why don't you tell folks how the people you jam with would likely do straw bumps with you but would pull a D move and not tell you they have nose Herpes, even tho they knew they did have it? Huh? Thank and an eternal F-YOU to Robb M.!! :mad:

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agree with ND, less Matt and more Julia Morales...