1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Active shooting in memorial area

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsLegend, May 29, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Any rational person would be able to listen to my opinion that children are exploited by the armed services without resorting to fighting.

I'm not anti-military, I'm just not a supporter of their tactics to recruit young, impressionable children, then asking them to possibly kill or be killed.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]FAMILY: SHOOTER CAME TO TEXAS BECAUSE OF LOOSER GUN LAWS

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Dionisio Garza accused of going on a shooting rampage and firing off 212 rounds this past Sunday is not the cousin Ahmad Alkuteifani knew as a teenager, growing up in California.

"We're just talking about attractive women in Hollywood, actresses," recalled Alkuteifani.

The first cousins were visiting with family in California. They were both around 18 at the time, and acted like any other teenagers, full of dreams.

"'Yea, I'm going to be a body builder,' and he was yea, 'I'm going into the Army.' Then we went to Wal-Mart to grab some things," Alkuteifani said.

That was about it. The families kept in touch over the years, but with Garza living in California, and Alkuteifani in Houston, most of the communication was via email, Facebook, and phone calls. Then, just hours after the tragic shooting on Sunday, Alkuteifani's phone began ringing. Soon, he would learn that Garzia is suspected of going on a shooting rampage in Houston's Memorial neighborhood.

He didn't even know Garza was in town.

Alkuteifani says the family saw changes in Garza when he returned from his two tours of duty in Afghanistan. He remembers his cousin posting anti-Islamic comments on his Facebook page, even though half his family, including Alkuteifani, is practicing Muslims. Family members said Garza talked about moving to Texas, in part, because of looser gun laws.

"I've heard (my mom say) he came to Houston because he can bear arms in Houston, I mean Texas'; you can protect your country over here more than anywhere else," Alkuteifani said.

Alkuteifani says he had no idea Garza was even in Houston until the shooting made the news. Looking back, he wishes, he would have reached out to his cousin after his tours of duty in Afghanistan.

"I think what he saw over there, really messed him up, his brain. He never was, I don't think he was ever the same after he saw what he saw over there. I think it took a toll on him," Alkuteifani said.

The family is now planning a memorial service, most likely in California.[/rquoter]

[rQUOTEr]http://www.khou.com/news/local/poli...unday-mass-shooting-in-west-houston/224771555

Garza's stepmother Cathy Garza spoke to KHOU 11 News over the phone. She says the family is devastated by what happened.

"They're taught to be tough and to not be weak," said Garza. "From the outside, it seemed like he was doing okay, but I think on the inside, he was just slowly crumbling, and it got to the point where he just wasn't making sense. He was kind. He had friends. He got along well with others. He was a great kid. Our hearts just go out to the families. We feel for them. It's not, it just wasn't him that day. He was not that person."[/rQUOTEr]

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, you really are you literally compared deciding to join the military to children smoking cigarettes, but that's okay. Thanks to those "children" that get suckered into serving their country in your opinion, you have the right to be a scumbag and raise scumbag children just like the rest of the anti-military posters in this thread and elsewhere.

Anyway, this conversation has already gone on too long for where it is being held and honestly after what you've already said, I don't care to hear any other brilliant ideas you might have.

Have a good day.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sad situation, all the way around.

As these things always are, I guess. I think that because he was a veteran and it was around Memorial Day makes it even more sad.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He spazzed out. That area is full of muslims. That ptsd wrecked him

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Bobby with the clutch white knighting for the military.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I mean, CoolGuy basically said anyone that joins is stupid so not surprising certain veterans took offense.

8. buffalobills!!!

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

That area is such an odd place to go on a rampage.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

That is also rather strange. I was wondering about that myself.

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

QFT. Couldn't have written it any better than that.

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Any word yet on what ties he had to the area? Was that where he was staying when he left California for Houston or he just randomly wandered there?

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

a certain percentage of humans beings on this planet are just batshait insane. There is no rational accounting for their actions because they live a reality we can't imagine.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exploited? The GI Bill seems to indicate the opposite. Veterans are well compensated.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yes, good day, Hank. Yee-haw, Semper Fi.

1 person likes this.
  16. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

I live in that area ( 3 mins from that gas station) so definitely scary stuff. Was surprised that didn't get much coverage in the news.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Believe me if it was a brown dude who did the same thing it'd be all over CNN and Trump would've already used it to push his agenda that we shouldn't allow Muslims in America.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Yes.

Well except nearly a 50% higher suicide rate.

As many as 1/3 veterans of Gulf War II have some degree of recognized disability.

30% of Vietnam veterans suffer from PTSD, 10-15% of Gulf War I/II vets suffer from PTSD.

Child abuse rates are far higher among deployed veteran families than the general population.

Divorce rates are higher for veterans and veterans are four times as likely to physically abuse a spouse.

So, while the GI Bill is nice, lets not act like the military is some sort of golden egg for those that choose to join. The reality is that there is in many cases a high price to pay for military service. That doesn't mean that those that do serve should be ridiculed (they shouldn't) but that the general public should be more aware of the actual cost of service.

1 person likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Vietnam and the Gulf War, yup.

Today? The sandbox?

Navy, Army and Air Force?

It is a fantastic deal...

20. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Thank god he was California and did not know that the town center is a couple blocks away. He could have done real damage if was there.