1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Active shooting in memorial area

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsLegend, May 29, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The government pipelines little kids out of high school, they don't want PTSD to become a household word.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I see and hear PTSD stuff everywhere in movies, Tv shows, radio. This isn't some new thing. It's just a very embarrassing disorder for men trained to fight fatigue, fear, hunger, comfort. It doesn't matter if family members talk their vets about it, Vets have a hard time admitting succumbing to it.

PTSD has a nasty stigma in the military and commercials aren't going to fix it.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"Little kids" SMH

Anyone who joins the military is either an 18 year old adult or they have parental permission to go to basic training at 17 then wait till they are 18 to actually be in.

Would you suggest they not let anyone enlist till they are 40?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Part of the problem with PTSD is that so many people say they have it and don't really have it while a lot of those that really have it hide it. PTSD has always been a problem, but those who don't really have it that pretend to have it is a fairly new phenomena at least in terms of the numbers that pull that BS.

5. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I don't see how it's an embarressing disorder. I imagine you see a lot in combat, and you lose a lot at the same time.

As Bobbythegreat mentioned, a lot of ppl with the disorder hide it. I think it should be the responsibility of loved ones to recognize and take some initiative. The family of Dioniso recognized it. It's not clear if they did anything about it, but they assumed he wouldn't hurt him self or others.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

Pretty dangerous situation to be in but this isn't the 1930's anymore. You can't just have family members committed to health wards for their own safety.

The only person that can get help is the PTSD sufferer themselves or else stupid spouses could use it as a tool to hurt one another

#86 REEKO_HTOWN, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  7. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

That's true, I didn't think of it that way.

I can see an ex-wife using PTSD to take away parental rights from a father. I'm sure there's tons more ways to use PTSD in a manipulative manner against anyone

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They're in schools with kids, playing pee-pee games like JROTC or whatever it's called. Propaganda. Big tobacco 2.0

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I remember PTSD bandied about right after 9/11. We're medicating the **** out of every race, creed, sex, and age...provided that you're insured. Shtting on VA benefits is an American sport for both parties.

I don't think most Americans want to cover it up with our vets, but there is a conflicting message society puts on them that doesn't mesh well with civilian life...which is to suck up pain, be tough as nails and persevere while at the same time know when to be vulnerable enough when they need help.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's just straight up r****ded. I hope you don't actually think what you just said, and if you do, I truly hope you never breed.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you don't think it's propaganda and preying on young, easily influenced minds - you're the one that shouldn't be breeding. Little kids are poached because they're easy targets, not because they're A+ candidates. Send your kid to war, I'll send mine to college.

12. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Seriously, I dont understand how parents send their kids to the army. I see well off parents being happy/proud their kids are in the army. I just look at them like they are stupid...

The only reason i could understand someone enlisting in the army is if you dont have any other way of getting an education, and even that reason is questionable...

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Do you think FFA is propaganda? Do you think Model UN is propaganda? How about DECA or FBLA?

You act like joining the military is a bad thing....and IMO that kind of makes you a worthless scumbag. I really can't think of a better way to put it than that. If my kid wants to join the military, he'll join the military....and go to college. It's really not one or the other, perhaps you didn't go to college or you'd realize that tons of students are former or current military members.

Anyway, I understand you probably just weren't raised right and I shouldn't be blaming you for your parent's failure and this really isn't a conversation for the hangout but just a word of advice, if you say BS like that in public and happen to be talking to a veteran, you might be headed to the hospital shortly afterwards. Even if you don't realize it, you're being incredibly disrespectful to everyone that serves or has served.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

Ringing endorsement from you.

"Let your kids Join the army where they will be groomed to only resort to violence when disagreed with!"

I'd rather my kid come out as gay than join the military.

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'm siding with anti-military joining posters as well. Many 18 years olds are just not mentally mature enough to handle the pressures of war and too many just want a gun in their hands. Only way I'd recommend anyone joining is if they aren't on the front lines and doing it strictly for the benefits in order to get school paid for. Other than that, it is way too dangerous to be sending kids out to kill people.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Does joining FFA or DECA inevitably lead to people being sent halfway across the world into a dangerous warzone? You equating JROTC/ROTC to those clubs is disingenuous at best.

17. Buck Turgidson

...which is a vast majority of the US military. It's all about that ASVAB.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They can do both.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I would suggest that we be honest and admit that we are exploiting young people.

We can talk about it being noble or how we appreciate those that join the military, but how many wealthy send their children off to war? How many current US Senators have children in active duty? How many President's have had children in active duty.

Since the Vietnam war, most wealthy people or those well connected have done everything possible to keep their children out of the institution.

1 person likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

A bad thing in what way?

That those that join the military are bad people? They aren't.

That joining the military is bad for those that join? That is the case sometimes.

That not preaching the virtues of joining the military is bad?

The reality is that the military is necessary, but also exploitative. Young people are targeted for a number of reasons, and while there are tangible benefits to joining the military; IMO in most cases it isn't enough when weighed against the costs in terms of lost earnings, job experience, risk and other costs.

If my son chooses to join the military after being aware of the costs, I will support him completely, as I do others that join....... but that doesn't change the fact that they are being exploited.