1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Active shooting in memorial area

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsLegend, May 29, 2016.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Well, there are quite a few things wrong with people -- where would you like to start?

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Stop talking about the freaking gorilla...

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

#AllLivesMatter

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Just lol at your stupidity

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

#LousyHumanBastards

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ha...

They are now saying they're unsure if the "2nd suspect" was a suspect or not.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2nd armed male in Memorial area shooting was wounded. No clarity yet as to whether he is criminal suspect or not. He is giving stmnt to HPD</p>&mdash; Tom Abrahams (@tomabrahams) <a href="https://twitter.com/tomabrahams/status/737038421085016064">May 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HPD?src=hash">#HPD</a> update on shooting: Second shooter's wounds not life-threatening; unsure of his role <a href="https://t.co/knga4p0Nxs">https://t.co/knga4p0Nxs</a></p>&mdash; Houston News (@abc13houston) <a href="https://twitter.com/abc13houston/status/737036410977325056">May 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">HPD unsure if second shooter is suspect or armed citizen. That person is in hospital with multiple gunshot wounds.</p>&mdash; Tom Abrahams (@tomabrahams) <a href="https://twitter.com/tomabrahams/status/737024100091105281">May 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

7. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Interesting. The cops apparently shot the guy who is in the hospital. If he was legally carrying a concealed weapon and took down the shooter, it sucks that the cops then shot him.

That sequence of events wouldn't surprise me, though.

And a gorilla could tear an arm off of JJ Watt. Best to shoot the animal than risk the kid getting split in half.

8. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

How is this area so ghetto if houses are around $200+/sqft? I was considering buying a place in west memorial, maybe not anymore?

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Because, memorial city mall /med center and I10 had made the area a hot spot. I don't know the exact area this was at, I assume we are talking about north wilcrest, which on westhiemer/briarforest has super cheap ghetto apartments. South wilcrest is ghetto too but that's not memorial area.

10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Do ghetto people own AR 15s? Was under the impression that long rifles the best weapon to mug people with. Pictures of the police car was crazy, the shooter has good aim.

11. Buck Turgidson

Everything south of the bayou got Katrina'd.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I have a friend in HPD and he said a friend of the shooter said he served in Afghanistan and had PTSD and had problems adjusting to civilian life.

1 person likes this.
  13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

We JUST closed on a house there on Friday. Half a million bucks just for lot value that side of kirkwood, but I always suspected I was a bit ghetto. The price of ghetto has truly skyrocketed.

14. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

If true, this wouldn't surprise me one bit.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The ghetto comments are ridiculous. I live in this area, and there's zero ghetto about it. Wilchester Elementary is one of the best schools in the city, and the property values are extremely high. Anyone calling this area ghetto has zero clue what they're talking about. The average price for a home in this area is around $1 million...about $1.5 million for new construction...no less than about $700K for an older home. This event wasn't some common occurrence at Memorial @ Wilcrest.

Scary times yesterday. This was way too close. I can't imagine what the motive was here...and I don't understand why the police are protecting the shooter's identity...including covering up his license plate with paper before towing his car away and blocking the media's view with metro buses. I drive by that gas station nearly every day. My father was there while it was happening and turned down Wilcrest to avoid cars that were turning around in the middle of the street to go back, apparently not knowing where gunfire was coming from. He said an HFD vehicle was going about 25 mph in reverse down Memorial Drive trying to avoid it.

Beyond that, media coverage was awful. You have an area that HPD is telling to shelter in place, and you're showing paid programming, KHOU? Really? No crawls on the bottom of the screen at least on any of the channels? I realize it's a holiday weekend, but come on. Without social media, there was zero updating us on this event while it was happening.

2 people like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Sources tell me 2nd man is no longer suspect in shooting. Was Good Samaritan trying to help. Injured in shooting. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/khou11?src=hash">#khou11</a></p>&mdash; Marcelino Benito (@MarcelinoKHOU) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarcelinoKHOU/status/737335280315817984">May 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I guess this will end up in the D&D.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

if you are going to get involved, something like that will happen. i don't fault the cops at all. hard to know who is on who's side in situations like this one.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not always, but it's always unfortunate when someone is helping out and potentially saving lives and ends up shot for it. I do agree that you can't really fault the cops, they just see a guy with a gun where they believe there is a shooter on a rampage. It's good he didn't die and can learn that after a shooting is over you put your weapon on the ground even if you are the "good guy"

20. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I was curious about the ghetto comments...I lived in that neighborhood from 80-94 and it was considered really nice, so I was curious if it had fallen off. Especially south of I-10. Maybe people see the Twin Peaks and assume the worst. :)

It really did seem like the police went out of their way during the event and after to hide any details of the shooters identity. Given that Texas is a pretty well armed state, it seems almost irresponsible not to provide as much detail as possible in case the suspect had escaped. Then again, I'm not a cop or every been in law enforcement, so i'll hold judgement.

It is jacked up that I find out about a shooter via Alyson Footer and not the local news.