1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ACORN going out of business

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BetterThanEver, Mar 22, 2010.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I am glad they are gone. No more ACORN Basso threads.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6925249.html

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

"once mighty?" WTF? According to whom, aside from Beck and basso?

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

ACORN was solely responsible for Obama getting elected. He's certainly done in 2012 without ACORN to cheat for him.[/Mojoman, Basso, OddsOn, random jackasses]

4. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Way to start a conversation bud. :( You bet, I'm just so excited about joining in.

This forum is the only place where "hate" actually gains power.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sorry RocketRaccoon, and I hear you, but it has been so, so hard for some of us (who don't give two flying ones for AKORN!1!!) but have had to see countless waves of misinformation, hate, and angst focused on them.

They have had less federal money at their disposal than one mid-sized science department at a school like UT Austin. They are ineffectual. If there was ever a single case of actual voter fraud, it was just that: singular in a sea of millions.

Of all the poorly organized political non-profits in the world, and there are hundreds of them, why did we spend SO much time on this one organization? There aren't many savory answers, but to many of us it looked like a very, very convenient and emotion-worthy boogeyman to certain media outlets and TV personalities.

So: good riddance. I was never a fan.

I hope we can now focus a lot of such frustration on similar non-profits that have worked tirelessly to suppress the votes of people of color. But I'm not holding my breath for Mr. Beck, et al. "Call me crazy," but I just don't see him following up on that particularly story.

PS -- but it's a serious question I asked earlier. How does any reporter write "once mighty" with a straight face. My local junior high soccer team is more mighty, if you ask me. Better organized anyway.

PPS -- This is from the 2nd paragraph of their own website on "About ACORN":
    Each of the 1,200 local ACORN neighborhood chapters in about 75 and 40 states brings neighbors together to work for stronger, safer and more just communities.

Yeah, 75 and 40. 115? Wait, what? So the thought that this is the mastermind of a conspiracy to rob conservative candidates of office is, to some of us at least, pretty absurd. They did help over a million people (allegedly) apply to register to vote. And then there were dozens of cases of fake people being registered to vote so that the volunteer could get paid more (pay per application is not a very good idea for this reason.)

#5 B-Bob, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010