1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ACN (All Communications Network) - MLM/Ponzi/Pyramid Scheme

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Antec, Nov 19, 2012.

1. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

I got sucked up into a company called Monavie back in high school... We ended up and recruited about up to 300 people here in Houston and it just collapsed due to the guys on top of the parymid lying.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Also be on the lookout for "Andes Mountain Superberry Juice" or the Time Share plans in Orlando.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just wondering... are you a Rockets fan?

4. moose

moose Member

My cousin dropped out of college before he heard about ACN. He's been sucked in it ever since. I don't think he's made any money cause I haven't seen any changes in him. It's quiet sad tbh.

5. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Dominating Texas... without 3 of the 4 biggest cities.

[​IMG]

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The thing with these schemes is, don't they start collapsing? You might be making some serious dough for 5, maybe 10 years, but what about after? Good luck trying to get a decent job with 10 years of ACN on your resume, people hate that and I doubt you'd get hired at most places.

Contrast to someone working an honest job, picking up technical skills and moving up the ladder gradually. Can always find another job if he/she gets let go.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Most MLM's do die off from saturation, but the people who do well in it simply jump ship. There's a ton of movement that goes on in that industry. "Top producers" are lured in, sometimes even bought - and with them often comes their downlines. MLM's aren't so much about the brand and company you're selling, their about the manipulative, fame-hungry people with large downlines full of gullible, often sad and lonely individuals simply looking for acceptance.

A lot of people join MLM's because they think they can make money. A lot join because they want a friend. They want to become part of a community. They seek guidance. They want their "mentor" to be their friend, they want to make their mentor proud, they want recognition. Recognition man, it's such a huge motivator in these cults, much more so than money.

One day I'm gonna start a Christian MLM (trinkets, conferences, pee-pee games) that branches out into home-style cooking for the family (ingredients, seminars on cooking, cookbooks and guides) that takes over SEC country overnight. I'm gonna be rich as crap.

8. da1

da1 Member

Some dude named Shad Nebo just called me talking about a multimillion dollar lucrative opportunity.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Seems legit. http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcshad

Actually has a higher level of education compared to the typical MLM'er.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He owns DC enterprises. Batman works for him.

11. jdh008

jdh008 Member

My two favorite things about his profile are that he misspelled the word business in his job title and this:

The sad thing is that many of these people probably have the drive and gumption to be successful in a lot of different ventures, but they've been duped into jumping into the MLM game.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

One of my facebook friends appears to be a big shot in this scheme. He's going to cities and doing presentations now, he legit seems to be making some good money from this.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Could very well be making it...

But the "fake it until you make it" approach and use of "attraction marketing" are schemes designed to make you look successful when you're not. If he's subtly gloating about his success on Facebook, it's probably by design. Doing presentations at an MLM conference is not necessarily any different that renting a room somewhere and giving out small prizes to make a pitch to sell timeshares.

They want their FB friends to reach out and inquire about the opportunity, so they make it look exciting, they make themselves look like a good mentor. Then, before you have a chance to pull your pants back over your *******, you're in their downline and selling soap to your co-workers.

14. tomato

tomato Member

what does pee pee game mean

15. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

ANY job that requires you to pay them money up front for "Training sessions", and requires you to recruit a certain amount of people that you know .... yeah, that's probably a scam or pyramid scheme.

Back in college, I got duped into a company called MCI WorldCom. They made me pay a $500 deposit for "training", which was basically reading a script, telling my friends and family that I'm in a tough situation, and I need them to sign up for a long distance phone service. The only person who signed up for the phone service was my cousin, and they charged him like 3X his normal phone bill.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

And everyone knows that people are always EXACTLY as they portray themselves on Facebook. No one ever exaggerates about how fantastic their lives are.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This. That's what is all about. Pretending to be rich.

18. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

My GF’s mother is in one (4Life) She recently asked me to view a presentation and I did to entertain her and let her practice her presentation skills since I’m living in her home.

Anyways, the bottom line is they have to create a downline of 6 people that commit to spending X amount of dollars per month (Like 100 points). She believes this will create residual income for her for the rest of her life. I agree that it might create a few $ for a decade if you grind but as others have noted the market saturates with these pyramid schemes and people peter out. It’s my opinion but I don’t have the right to poo poo on her vision. Also, the bottom line is your asking people in your life to commit to spending X amount of $$ per month via your MLM. Not really down with it.

19. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

lol me too... good learning experience tho

1 person likes this.
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Here's a new one. This one has VERY cultish vibes.

http://www.wakeupnow.com/

Wake Up Now aka WUN

The same genius I knew who used to be in an energy drink selling pyramid scheme is now in this one. He made a YouTube video of himself driving around Houston in a nice neighborhood saying things like "If you believe in yourself you can live here." That guy, btw, very likely lives with his parents or in a one bedroom apartment in Dickinson.