1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ACN (All Communications Network) - MLM/Ponzi/Pyramid Scheme

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Antec, Nov 19, 2012.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

My bad... only 32 years.... currently employs about 5,000 people and has worldwide sales of about 3.5 Billion dollars.

http://company.herbalife.com/our-history#.UNQpJazIlGE

I remember circa 1980-81 buying some shampoo from the guy who delivered my morning paper.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Here a quote of mine from 10 days ago.
    I agree, you can make money in an MLM scheme, of course you can (you wont, nobody ****ing will, don't do it, just attempt to go pro in sports, same odds). People make money. Everyone knows someone who knows someone or heard about someone who knew someone, or was "formerly associated" with someone - I imagine someone in the upline, at the top. That's how it works. A fraction of the reps/consultants/whatever make 3 figures. Same as the lottery.

This is wrong and right. Many MLM's require at least a $20,000 investment to truly play BUT they include a loophole, one that is impossible to complete to cover themselves legally. For example, refer 15 people who do spend 20k, then you get in. Subscription fees, paying for online tools, "support", whatever -- they add up, that's how companies like Herbalife wind up making money. Mini-transactions add up when you've got minions recruiting mindless drones.

The conferences, events, etc... high ticket items. Those brainwashing events are usually only a small profit, like a concert. You have to pay speakers, food, decorating, there's a lot of expenses involved in fooling the audience into thinking they're doing something legitimate.

That insurance gig, for one I hope it at least offered a viable product, unlike MLM, two -- it sounds crappy. There's no rule that says if you sell insurance you're doing something legitimate. Depends on your gig. So stop pretending that comparing MLM to insurance sales will substantiate it. If anything it makes insurance sales look shady, which in many cases it is. You're comparing it to low-level insurance sales man, insurance sales... c'mon.

#322 Ziggy, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  3. giddyup

Success in MLM is more realistic than in sports. You don't have to be 6'9" or run a 4.3 forty and have a 99 MPH fastball to succeed. You just have to work.

If you don't make the money, it's because you didn't work effectively. At the very same time you didn't do it or make it someone did.... so let's not talk about impossibility. Someone is always making it due to hard work.

I have never seen a figure like that. Most I've ever seen is around $1,000 and that garnered a boatload of products. Most fast start packages range from $2-499. What company were you with?

Just way to cynical for my sake....

Just way to cynical for my sake....

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've met enough top producers to know not everyone can make it. You HAVE to have something else... a quirk. You have to be wired differently. I've seen people work their assess off to make it work but they cant because they don't possess it. Same as sports. Remember, you're not selling real products, this isn't a typical sales job, you're selling hopes and dreams, you're pitching the idea of notoriety in a community, you're selling an opportunity, not a tangible, useful product. If that were the case they'd have a storefront.

I was never "with" an MLM, don't throw that around. I worked corporate. It's different. I KNOWINGLY took advantage of schmucks and am willing to admit it. But I got out, it's too dirty. Filthy, filthy industry. And you wonder why I'm cynical towards it, lulz. There are a ton of high-ticket MLM's out there.

1 person likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why is this stupid ****ing thread still on the front page?

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Because Giddyup has taken it upon himself to be a human shield for the gomers.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

My friend looks like she is slowly getting away from this. But she still wants to attend the out of state conventions. Makes her feel good I guess.

I laughed my ass off when she said she got a deal for the plane tickets. $500 round trip with her discount.

8. Antec

Antec Member

What do u mean shes slowly getting away from it?

9. Antec

Antec Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

She use to be on the laptop with her professional binder beside every 2 hours.
    Now she claims she don't have too much time to put in it.

11. Antec

Antec Member

I am just curious does she happen to be asian and from houston?

Also have you heard if she blames the business or if she blames her self for not putting in enough time?

Basically is it ACN's fault?
    Or is it her own fault?

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Hispanic from Houston.

Her fault, "her friends don't trust her" aka theyre not dumbasses.

She did manage to screw a couple though.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

She hot? Tell her I'm interested in earning some extra money.

14. giddyup

Another one of the guys (not even one I've mentioned yet) did as much business (talking real products not convention tickets) as the local Wal-Mart in his community. He was just part of the business of two of the guys I've mentioned so they were even bigger. He didn't need a storefront.

I remember one of the guys made a joke about getting a raise next year because a new product was being rolled out: bubble gum. BTW, it was great bubble gum. I chewed it while playing basketball at noon three days a week.

Yet you keep insisting that no real, tangible products are involved industry-wide. How about toothepaste or toilet paper or laundry detergent and a few dozen other consumables? Are those real and tangible enough?

How about some names? What company were you with? Name some of these $20,000 high ticket companies out there.

15. Major

Major Member

Either that, or the system is designed to ensure you can't make money. 300+ slide complete and total takedown of Herbalife from last night (resulting in 20% drop in stock price today):

http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-ackmans-herbalife-presentation-2012-12#-1

2 million salespeople in a company that has $3 billion in revenues - meaning each salesperson generates less than $2000 in sales per year on average. Take out overhead and expenses and the thing is designed in such a way that most sales people will fail by definition. And a huge chunk of their revenues/sales are from their own sales people, meaning their sales people actually are the ones funding the company instead of profiting.

Slide 75 is particularly great. 93% of the salespeople make $0 / yr. Another 6% make less than $500 per year. Less than 0.2% make enough to live on.

16. giddyup

Just trying to be fair and accurate to an industry that has several multi-billion dollar companies that have been in operation for decades. Of course, there are some bad eggs out there but you don't slander a whole industry.

17. giddyup

Lots of people are not active sales people. The get in because they like the product and they get the best pricing as a distributor.

I think you are looking at it backwards because you assume everyone is "in" with the same intent. That is just not the case. You don't take Harden's PPG average and add it to the last guy on the bench and call that any kind of accurate "team" average...

18. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Do they sell koolaid? Because it must be real good.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is the gum cheaper/better than what you can get at Walmart? I'm not naming companies, they train these people to use Google Alerts to spot even a quasi-mention of company names. I don't want to attract even more mindless drones copy & pasting a sales pitch. Financial or real estate MLM's are a great example of 20-30k enrollments.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There's that .2%. Always there, like a charm. It's published in the official direct sales manual.