1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Accounting Degree

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NBAHOU713, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

My wife did the same program, but at A&M. She was set up with an internship at PWC, and had a job there when she graduated.

An accounting program at school is a good way to make sure you have a job when you graduate. Of course you have to keep your grades up, but even if you are mid-level there are the mid sized firms that are pretty much the same as the big 4, just not as big.

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I got my accounting degree from A&M in 1996 and then got my law degree. I am currently a bankruptcy attorney.

Here are Ref's simple steps to doing well in accounting (I had a 3.5 GPA in accounting courses)

1. Read the chapter BEFORE class.
    2. Do the practice problems BEFORE class.
    3. NEVER miss class.
    4. Pay attention in class and take good notes.
    5. Ask questions.
    6. NEVER fail to do your assigned problems.

That's all I did. Basically...just stay on top of it and prepare prior to class.

Intermediate accounting is a b**** though. That separates accountants from non-accountants.

3. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i have a bba in accounting, email me with questions..

4. micah1j

micah1j Member

bean counter :D

5. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

I've worked in accounting for 3yrs. Just now starting school so I can be an accountant. SO yes, ive been involved with accounting for a while, thats why I made the decision to go to school for it.

6. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

thanks for all the advice guys. Ill have alot of questions in the future. Im really excited, and I know I gotta work my ass off. The company i work with is paying 100% of my tuition and books so thats rad.

7. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

NBAHOU713 - best of luck with your endeavors.

I'm a CPA, CVA, CFO of a high-flyer software development company in Houston. E-mail me with any questions that can't be answered by the light weights, and I'll see what I can do :D

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This will definitely be helpful to you. If I went back to school now I'd certainly want to take the more complex tax accounting classes...whereas had I done that originally I guarantee you I would have failed (or come close) and not learned anything.