1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

According to Yahoo! Al Jefferson is 3rd best Center in NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bleedrockets, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Akim523

Akim523 Member

So the writer compared Al Jefferson's footwork to Hakeem?!

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Thank you. Indeed, in theory, it could be a good match. Of course, then it becomes a question of talent in other spots.

That frontcourt reminds me of the 2004 Pacers a little.
    Jeff Foster and Jermaine O'Neal.
    Jefferson is not at the same level as a rim protector, but between him and Asik, you'd have a similar skillset offensively and defensively.

But of course that team also had a non ball hogging, defensively elite All Star in his prime (Ron Artest) and a lot of veteran experience in other spots.

3. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Al Jefferson has some sick post moves, but nowhere near Hakeem

anyways Al Jefferson is a top 10 C, not that it means much in todays NBA

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

That article was really poorly written. It detracted from whatever speculative substance that have been contained within. Essentially,

TL;DR

5. JD88

JD88 Member

Big Cuz is the third best center in the league if he can stop fouling.

Per 36....

Demarcus Cousins 21.4/13
    Dwight Howard 19.4/13.7
    Andrew Bynum 19.1/12.1
    Al Jefferson 20.3/10.1

His 18/11 were might respectable for playing 30 minutes a game.

6. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Interesting.... That was a pretty darn good team....

7. oakdogg

Don't forget FG%. Cousins shoots a really low FG% for a center. Anyone know why that is? It's why I always shy away from him for Fantasy Basketball.

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

He tends to fall in love with his mid range J, and has trouble finishing under the rim. Hopefully as he matures he can grow out of it.

9. teebone21

teebone21 Member

i would love big AL on the rockets. He demands dbl teams with his array of post moves and he can rebound/block shots. He was killing duncan in the post in the playoffs

10. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Just wanted to say, great post Donatasfanboy. Even though you have an awful username, your posts have always been of exceptional quality and I've found them insightful.

11. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

If the Jazz offered Al Jefferson for Kevin Martin and the Mavs pick would you do it?

12. HombreDeHierro

yeeeeeeeeeeeaaah

13. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

that definitely would not be enough to get Jefferson

14. rolyat93

I'd put a condom on first, and start working on my alibi.

15. Muaz

Muaz Member

OR we could just wait until the season is over and sign him in free agency with Martin, Douglas, Forbes, and half of the other 50 pieces we've acquired contracts are over. plus he might want to return to McHale it would make sense

16. oakdogg

Is Jefferson that much better than Scola? Seems kind of weird that we amnestied Scola and we would then target a comparable (though admittedly somewhat better) player in Jefferson who will probably cost us more than Scola. Not really making point to argue against getting Jefferson but more openly wondering if amnestying Scola wasn't a stupid idea.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Maybe not on the Hornets. I would play him besides Jason Smith (the teams PF) and bring Robin Lopez off of the bench.

I always shake my head when people post so "matter of fact" about a PF not playing center. As Rockets fans we had a 6'6" center for a couple of years. Who knows how the Hornets will end up using Davis but playing him at center is certainly not a stretch.

#77 crash5179, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  18. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Yes he is, here's why:
    1) He's taller, making him a better post threat
    2) He can block shots and tries to play defense whereas Scola would try to fall down and play with his hands too much
    3) He can actually play like a true big, getting rebounds and shots close at the rim. Scola could only hope for those after many fakes and tango's :)

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Z-Bo was also in Portland before NY, and then with the Clippers. He improved dramatically in Memphis at the age of 28.

Jefferson was a good offensive rebounder in Minnesota. FWIW, he barely played for Jerry Sloan, who resigned half way through Jefferson's first season in Utah. No doubt Jefferson needs to be more physical, and I certainly don't view him the high regard I did when Boston initially traded him for KG, but the potential is there. Nobody thought ZBo could ever get his head straight.

20. rolyat93

That's the thing though, when has Jefferson ever had "attitude concerns" like Zbo did? He's a workhorse who can put up really good numbers, and I'd love to have him if we weren't rebuilding.(hopefully we are though.)