1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

According to Yahoo! Al Jefferson is 3rd best Center in NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bleedrockets, Aug 10, 2012.

1. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

According to Sotos Francy on February 22, 2012

So if you can snag Jefferson from Utah you do it in a heartbeat

PG: Lin & Douglas
    SG: Lamb & Delfino or Gee
    SF: Parsons & White
    PF: Motiejunas & Jones
    C: Jefferson & Asik

Trade Martin & Patterson to Utah Jazz for Jefferson. You can mix and match the front court (Jefferson & Asik) for Twin Tower aspect , (Motievation & Jones) for run a gun type style. So I hope Morey is on the phone w/ O'Connor and Lindsey to make it happen cause how far can Foye and Mo Williams take you at the Shooting Guard position really????

2. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I like Al Jefferson, but don't compare him with Hakeem ... :rolleyes:

By the way, Martin + Patterson might not be enough to get Jefferson. But I also want Jefferson to play for the Rockets.

3. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

He compared the two in terms of footwork bro. You throw in those 2 second round picks from Knicks and make it happen.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I would do that trade but Utah fans love him there.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

This article reads like a college essay.

I don't think Patterson would interest them (no need for another PF; they'd have trouble finding more than 5 minutes for him, baring injuries).

But Martin + a 1st round pick or some other piece might work. He's going to leave after the season anyway.

#3 center in the NBA though? Marc Gasol is clearly better. Solid offense, range, polar opposite from Jefferson in terms of passing and defense.
    The same goes for Horford, to a bit lesser degree.
    The same goes for Cousins on his sane days.
    And Bogut on his healthy days.
    I'd take Chandler and Hibbert over him too. Not to mention that Bosh, Duncan and Garnett now play mostly center too, all arguably better.

Still, a good relatively young player. If you can add/develop 2-3 more similar level pieces beside him and a some depth, you have a solid playoff team.

(Btw, it's Marc Gasol, not Mark)

6. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

bleed, when you post "martin + patterson for jefferson," are you on crack?

7. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

dude salaries have to match and i didnt write the post i just googled top five centers in nba.

8. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

No Chuck Hayes in the list?

No credibility.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Jefferson probably is among the guys who played the position regularly last season. That's more a statement of how weak the center position is in the NBA right now, than a huge compliment to Big Al. I say that as a guy who likes Al Jefferson... he might be the most skilled post player in the game right now, which makes up for the deficiencies in his defensive game.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i realize. just saying. it reads like a college essay. literally. it's not even a slight. it's just extremely disciplined / textbook structure and keywords.
    i used to write essays like that in English classes.
    i suspect it probably was an essay originally.

what's up with finishing a post with a flip off.

i mean, you did analysis, you wrote a fairly good post, and then you go and mess it up by making yourself sound extremely immature.

it's pretty sad, to be honest.

Gasol has considerably lower usage rate (career 17.8% to Jefferson's 24.9%).
    And he's a far better / more willing passer too.
    Both of which result in less points and higher efficiency.

Gasol is also one of the best defensive centers in the league. Jefferson is one of the worst. And it shows in stats as well.
    For example, in post ups, Gasol's opponent shoots 35%; Jefferson's - 40%.
    In isos, it's 26% and 50%, respectively.
    The Grizzlies allow 4.9 less points with Gasol on the floor. The Jazz allow 1.9 more points with Jefferson on the floor.

You just can't look at 20-10 and make huge conclusions. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Also you have to keep in mind that Gasol is playing next to a player who's very similar to Al Jefferson - Zach Randoph. Not a good defender, volume scorer, black hole.
    Imagine Al Jefferson playing next to Zach Randolph. Jefferson's stats would look a bit differently.
    Instead, Jefferson plays next to Milsap --- who carries a huge load, but also hustles, defends and does anything else needed to win and to enable Jefferson to put up stats. Like Marc Gasol.
    Marc Gasol is the Paul Milsap of the Grizzlies, and Z-Bo is Al Jefferson; except positions (PF/C) are reversed in their case.
    Their stats will be different.

1 person likes this.
  12. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

If you compare foot work? Maybe. If you try to compare anything else besides rebounds and points then no. He can't block shots and I've always thought of him more of a PF/C. Kinda similar to Tim Duncan, but without same impact on both floors.

Having said that though if we could get him and pair him up with a shot blocker and some more good talent, I'd be impressed. Doubt Utah does that though, can't really see them agreeing to something like that unless they go into full rebuild.

13. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

They dont put Legends on the sheet.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

well, they either have to resign him or let him go. Or trade him. Trading him seems like the best option.

if he took a short term 1-2 year extension, then it makes sense for the Jazz to keep him.
    But I can't imagine him taking a short deal.
    And a long term deal at big money just makes no sense.
    Milsap will probably be the priority, he's as good a player if not better, and a better fit.
    Then you have Favors and Kanter coming along, and you'll have to resign them and Burks / Hayward at some point.
    And until then, you want to use some cap space and fix the other holes in the roster. There are still plenty of holes to fix.

Keeping him would be a luxury that could come back to bite them long term.

15. wiseguyX

wiseguyX Member

will he help us get to the 7th seed or 8th seed....
    do you really wanna be mediocre forever?

trading martin for picks is all we should be interested in

16. samylee1978

samylee1978 Member

asik third worst center in the game

17. AFS

AFS Member

I like Big Al, but we don't need a player like him on our roster. We need high-potential prospects and high draft picks. There are no more superstars, or even stars, on the market. It's time to tank.

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

indeed. the only case where you trade for him is if you feel you can get a couple other All Star level players too.
    I doubt that's possible, but if you end up with something like Lin/Lamb/Gay/Josh Smith/Jefferson, fair enough.

You aren't guaranteed to become extremely good via draft anyway.
    You could get multiple great picks, draft well, and still end up like the Blazers. Or you could draft well half the time, mess up the other half, and then you are the Hawks.

But if it's just Jefferson, it's pointless.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Jefferson isn't leading anyone to a title as the main piece. Gasol and Cousins are the only truly appealing guys on that list (factoring age, contract, injury history, ability to mesh with other players).

20. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Lol, clueless guy thinks Gasol is worse than Jefferson...