1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

According to NBA GM, McHale is not among the better coaches of the league.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TexanCowgirl, Oct 23, 2013.

1. TexanCowgirl

TexanCowgirl Member

http://www.nba.com/news/2013-14-nba-gm-survey/index.html?ls=nbahpfull2

COACHES

Who is the best head coach in the NBA?

1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio -- 75.9%

2. Doc Rivers, L.A. Clippers -- 10.3%

3. Erik Spoelstra, Miami; Tom Thibodeau, Chicago -- 6.9%

Last year: Gregg Popovich -- 80.0%

Which head coach is the best manager/motivator of people?

1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio -- 51.7%

2. Doc Rivers, L.A. Clippers -- 31.0%

3. Erik Spoelstra, Miami -- 6.9%

Also receiving votes: Scott Brooks, Oklahoma City; Mark Jackson, Golden State; Frank Vogel, Indiana

Last year: Gregg Popovich -- 60.0%

Which head coach makes the best in-game adjustments?

1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio -- 27.6%

2. Rick Carlisle, Dallas -- 24.1%

3. Doc Rivers, L.A. Clippers -- 13.8%

4. Rick Adelman, Minnesota; Tom Thibodeau, Chicago -- 10.3%

Also receiving votes: Scott Brooks, Oklahoma City; Kevin McHale, Houston; Erik Spoelstra, Miami; Frank Vogel, Indiana

Last year: Gregg Popovich -- 40.0%

Which head coach runs the best offense?

1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio -- 37.9%

2. Rick Adelman, Minnesota -- 20.7%

3. Kevin McHale, Houston -- 10.3%

4. Mike D'Antoni, L.A. Lakers; Erik Spoelstra, Miami -- 6.9%

Also receiving votes: Rick Carlisle, Dallas; Mark Jackson, Golden State; George Karl; Doc Rivers, L.A. Clippers; Tom Thibodeau, Chicago

Last year: George Karl -- 31.0%

Which head coach has the best defensive schemes?

1. Tom Thibodeau, Chicago -- 58.6%

2. Frank Vogel, Indiana -- 31.0%

Also receiving votes: Mark Jackson, Golden State; Gregg Popovich, San Antonio; Erik Spoelstra, Miami

Last year: Tom Thibodeau -- 70.0%

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Sorry to disappoint you, but that is meaningless. Mchale isn't one of the top 3 coaches in the league, but he's one of the best possible fits (coming from a guy that was absolutely pissed when he was the one to replace Adelman.)

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think he's seen as jack of all trades, master of none. He is probably number 4-5 in all the categories.

#3 RV6, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  4. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I'm a fan of McHale but of course he's not top 3, at least right now. I'm happy he received votes in a few of the categories and ranked 3rd best in offense.

5. dje243

dje243 Member

We win a ring and views will change pretty quickly.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Who cares, Doc Rivers wasn't shet before he had the big three, Spolstra wasn't anything before the big three.

7. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Hey, this is quite a compliment:
    There is room for improvement of course. This is a critical year for him; pressure's on.

8. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

The one who's severely underrated on this list is Carlisle. Goes to Detroit, takes a very average team to a division title. Goes to Indiana, leads a very good team with a bunch of head cases (Jackson, Artest) to a division title. Goes to the Mavericks, leads them to a victory over the favored Heat.

Carlisle is better than Rivers and Spoelstra, in my opinion. Only one better is Popovich. And I HATE the Mavericks with every fiber of my being. But Carlisle's #2 in the NBA, hands down.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

How did Pop not get at least 90% of the votes for best coach?

10. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Agreed! But hey, he's second in in-game adjustments, that's pretty good.

I heard he's too tough on the players, not friendly enough and could become unpopular sometimes.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

people have short memories, maybe the issues in the finals factored, but

1. Pop
    2. Carlise
    4/5/6~ McHale

12. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

I can't help but feel like they overrated some of these coaches in this poll. I feel like some of these coaches are only considered great because they've been dealt great players to work with. Coach Thibodeau, Coach Pop and Doc are three of the few I feel can just coach any team given to them and make them somewhat of a tough outing. Still iffy on Spo till he coaches a team minus the Big 3 or whatever you wanna call them these days.

13. munco

munco Member

Still think he's one of the worst coaches in the league but we'll still win regardless. Plenty of teams have won with bad coaches and we'll have to do the same. See the Cavs with Mike Brown for example.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

LOL @ Spoelstra on that list.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lebron should be on that list. He won a coach of the year.

16. VeloCity

VeloCity Member

Just my opinion....
    McHale is a good figure-head type coach, a leader that the players look up to. In turn he would have an advantage in managing stars and egos (which may not be a problem anyway with this group, pending bigger sample size from Dwight)
    McHale as a strategist and game-time adjustor..... i'd put him in the bottom half in the league.
    Overall i think he barely squeezes into the top 10. If management can find him a top strategic assitant (I am not sure Bickerstaff is the guy, Sampson is another figure-head type, and Finch is not even in McHale's inner circle), we'd have a championship coaching staff.

1 person likes this.
  17. platypus

platypus Member

Title is misleading. No where does it say or imply "McHale is not a good coach", it simply lists coaches who have been recognized by voters.

McHale is really into his 3rd season as a coach and really last year is the only season he has had a superstar caliber player. And fittingly he made it to the playoffs.

As wins stack up this year look for his name to pop into discussions for "COY" as voters only see the W-L column when they judge a coach for his success. Case in point, Spolestra, I think no one on this board would call him a "motivator" three seasons ago when the heat were a horrible team. Now he is this "motivator".

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

In the past McHale has been an average coach at best. There is no reason to believe he has vastly improved over here. What has happened is most of the X's and O's have been taken out of his hands and he has been force fed an offensive style that takes very little coaching and depends more on the instincts of the players. Even then it took a year and half for him to get Morey was really running the show and if he wanted to stay along for the ride he better be a little more flexible and quit making comments that he just throws all of Morey's stats in the trash. As for defense that has been turned over to Sampson so will see if that improves.

I will give Mchale credit for being somewhat of a decent motivator. Not tops but above average. And Dwight likes him so that's good.

19. rock34

rock34 Member

Coaching in my opinion is directly impacted by talent and how much you can maximize it. Mchale has never had any significant talent until Harden last year. He changed the offense to maximize Harden's skills. This year we add Dwight Howard, let's see what happens this year and how things run.

No coach has ever been considered anything without any talent. Perhaps the 2 best at maximizing that talent are Popovich and Phil. I was too young to see Red and the Celtics back in the day.

When I say maximize they know how to get the most of their teams and top players when it comes to not only the X's and O's but also physically, mentally, and any other facet of the game which is relevant.

Nobody is a perfect 10 in all categories but you don't need to be perfect to win championships. You just need the talent with just enough of the right blend of coaching for your specific players.

As stated before, Mchale has done well with Harden and Co. so far. He has them playing hard, he provides them leadership, he's put them in situations where the TEAM(not individuals, unless you are the Superstar of that team because that directly impacts team success) can have the most success. This year will be a big year for him.

I think he will show he is the right man to lead this team to a Championship!:grin:

20. JBar

JBar Rookie

Don't understand this thread name. He was one of very few coaches mentioned at all. The thread should be named "McHale named as one of league's best coaches on offense."

2 people like this.