1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

above ground pool?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockpileindisma, Mar 27, 2017.

1. rockpileindisma

Hey you guys my sister bought a place in Anahuac and we were wondering about stuff to do out there for the kids. They have a hot tub but we were considering an above ground pool for the summer. Does anyone know if you have to spend a fortune to make it worth it or if the 5-700 dollar ones on Amazon or Walmart get the job done. Not really going to be for adults but who knows lol. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them and if they are even worth messing with

Deckard likes this.
  2. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

I had a 22' oval pool from intex picked up from Toys R Us, it lasted about 4 summers was fun for the kids and family to swim in. I put it up during the winter and set it back up every spring.

I am actually about to order another one from Amazon more than likely, One important thing is the pump it comes with sucks. Undersized ect. I highly recommend springing to purchase a Salt Water pump. It has a timer so you can run the pump at night and more importantly doesnt use chemicals so your not constantly trying to keep it from turning green during the summer heat.

rockpileindisma and Deckard like this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Had one when I lived NW of Ft. Worth. The ground up there made in-ground pools super expensive to build so most people would do an above ground.

Agreed with ATX, the stock pump sucks but you can get a good one from Amazon for under $200.

Also, get a salt water generator to run in-line with the filtration plumbing. Will save tons of money on 'chlorine' . Also under $200 on Amazon.

Check out this forum on the basics of pools.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/169-TFP-Home-Page

You can also save a ton of money on pool chemicals and maintenance using their chemistry guide:

https://www.troublefreepool.com/con...-chemistry?s=6569466702db554611a8bdcaa14fd8a0

Protip: Bleach is almost pure chlorine.

The only thing you will have to buy is shock treatment, which you can get at Home Depot or Lowes for much less than you will pay at a pool store.

Deckard likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was about to say, "Don't install an above ground pool," and then realized that it was largely for kids during the hot weather. We almost got one ourselves back when our kids were kids, if you know what I mean. The only reason we didn't was the giant pool our neighborhood has for residents. My comment about above ground pools, if you were getting a permanent pool, was based on friends over the years who had them installed here in the Austin area on a slope. With one exception, they all eventually started to crack and ended up needing major work. The one that's been fine at our friend's place in Lago Vista by the lake is about as small a permanent pool as someone would probably consider getting. Not big, but very nice. What you're talking about, OP, would be a blast for kids. Just be sure to get a lockable cover of some sort. Better safe than sorry! :)

Right now, I'm dreaming of a hot tub, surrounded by a privacy fence. A "grownup" swimming pool! ;)

rockpileindisma likes this.