1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

About Sergio Llull...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Llull looks like he could be a backup. Rubio looks to me to be a totally average pg in the nba.

I still have doubts about European prospects in the NBA, especially from the guard positions. As much as is made of Europe-NBA success stories, you can count the successful guards on one hand.

Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker

Average players:
    Calderon, Rudy Fernandez, Omri Casspi, Batum, Beno, Gallinari, Sefolosha

Let me list off the unsuccessful:

Marco Belinelli, Roko Ukic, Yaroslav Korolev, Sarunas, Vspan, Sergio

Rudy, Batum, Gallo, Sefolosha, Belinelli, Ukic, Sarunas, Vspan, Sergio

All came in over-hyped. The way I see it, of all the positions, guard play is probably the stiffest competition in the US. The reason that European big-men can often find greater success is that our bigs are still lagging behind in the skill department.

Rubio can compete, but I don't think he is a cut above. I see him falling into the average category quite easily.

2. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

In general, I don't think most of the players on your average list were drafted very high, and I think there are plenty of US players who were drafted higher who are also average or worse. I'd like to say that international scouting has improved enough so that we have a pretty good idea about how foreign players skills will translate, although I don't think we are quite there yet.

Just a point about Batum- he's not a guard, and I think he will be above average very soon, if he's not their already.

3. showtang043

showtang043 Member

4. crocktees

crocktees Member

The speed is the one thing I find the most encouraging about your post. I think that is the difference between the successful Euro league guards and those that have failed. If you don't have the speed to get off your shot and compete with the talent level in the NBA, other areas of your game are quick to falter.

Whether as trade bait or an eventual piece it's great to hear first hand knowledge about Rocket's player rights. Thanks for the information, look forward to your next post.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's amazing, you seem to have just joined the board this year, but know a lot about the Rockets, and appear to have particular knowledge of the Spanoulis era which was ages ago in CF.net terms

I guess you must have been admiring from afar.....well welcome to the board. Tell me what do you think of Bob Sura?

6. trugoy

trugoy Member

How are they overhyped? most of the players were late first round, second round picks, if anything they have OVER performed their expectations.

7. anchel

anchel Member

Thanks Sam. In effect I follow the team since Maloney-Brent Price era... as far as has been possible to do it from Spain. I became a fan in the second championship, (I was 10 y.o. and started to watch some games by TV). But in fact I'm not a true follower since it is feasible to watch all the games (or most of them) on-line.

I liked Sura. First, I'm a height lover in basketball, and he was a very tall PG, with all that that entails. But he was also a good team player, he understood the game and played hard. Too bad those knees...

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good posts and welcome Anchel.

And I am fairly certain that Sam was just fishing to see if you were a previously banned poster.

DD

9. anchel

anchel Member

Thanks DD.

No, 'anchel' it's my virgin account, but I follow the site for years, since it was named "clutchcity"... Believe it or not, I spend a lot time to baste 3 sentences (as sure you've checked these days) and this is why I didn't sign up before. I write in another Spanish basketball forum and I like to speak properly, and since I could not do it in English, I preferred to not write anything. Now thanks to follow the NBA and to watch some TV series in original version subtitled I felt I could write a lit better and I dared to do so... With the help of google traductor and putting it some time, of course.

10. anchel

anchel Member

Mmm thanks to following and to watching, right?

11. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

He is the most expensive second round player ever to be bought, 2.25 million $ so I really hope he can be in Rockets uni next year.

As I myself live in Europe, I have seen him couple of times and he is really intelligent guard with great skills which make him a versatile player.

On another hand his personality (if he comes in Houston thats it) will play a big part. VSpan COULD have easily fitted in JVG offense/defense but didn't do so for whatever reasons.

Llull on another hand could be another diamond in the rough brought to NBA, similiar to Scola

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I really hope we bring this kid over next season. Find a way to trade Ariza, Jeffries, and our first rounder for a major piece and bring this kid over to develop him. His value will go up.

13. anchel

anchel Member

I would say there is currently a 70-80% chance that he remains in Madrid for next year.

14. SamFisher

I'm sure all of his posts will be in the zone...what with the help of Google Traductor and such.

15. DaDakota

And thus, just as I said....lol.

DD

16. SamFisher

I'm appointing you deputy head of Spurstalk-related investigations.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

His first assignment should be to collect a rather extensive sample of the hot babes in the signatures of the people over there. I'm expecting a report by this evening, DD. You can just post them in this thread. :p

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Are you guy's thinking he's Kill_Bill? :grin:

19. DaDakota

Kill Bill Pana, Bexcellent, BBall Scientist, Apollo, IndaZone....what other names did he go by?

And, no, I don't assume that at all about this guy.

DD

20. KenCus

KenCus Member

Ok, a couple problems here.

1) A number of the guys you're calling average or busts are SF's, so then you have to count Andrei Kirilenko as a very successful player...even now after his injuries, he's been very solid. You also have to count Peja. Turkoglu has been mediocre, but good enough to convince one of the NBA's supposed best GMs to give him a huge contract.

2) You're selling Jose Calderone way short. He's been better than solid the last 4 years, even with some injuries. There's a reason he got paid big money.

3) Batum is already very good, and he's 22 and in his second year. Rodrigue Beaubois is already very good on a per minute basis, and he's in his 1st year. He's gonna be a stud.

4) In NBA history, there have been only two Euroleague wing players drafted in the lottery and played in the NBA so far, Mickael Pietrus (11) in 2003 and Thabo Sefolosha (13) in 2006 (Gallinari is playing power forward for the Knicks...also we'll get to Brandon Jennings later). Both were drafted as great defenders and never had expectations of being tremendous. So it's not like any euro-guards are way underperforming on their draft status.

5) Technically Brandon Jennings came from the Euroleague and is looking pretty good so far, but we won't count him because he spent 1 year there.