1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

About McGrady The Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacBeth, Jun 27, 2004.

1. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

As many of you know, i live in Toronto, nad since the emergence of the Raptors have been a fan of that team as well. As more of you know, Tracy mcGrady was originally drafted by the Raptors, and was my favorite player up till the time of his departure. Unpopular as it was at the time, I was one of the few who said that McGrady would be a better all around player than Vince Carter.

Due to this, and due to my continued interest in my former favorite Raptors player, I have probalby watched him play many more games than most Rockets fans, and moreover have seen him play at different stags of development, and in different roles. There are a few things about him as a player I have wanted to share, but waited until our acquisition of him seemed official. Doc Rocket's stamp is good enough for me, so here goes;

McGrady the Scorer

Despite the numbers, Mcgrady is a less natural dominant scorer than a Vince Carter. He doesn't have the shot or the attack moes of Air Canada, but is more of an all around volume streak scorer. This is not to say he isn't a dmininat scorer, as he obviously is, but he doesn't possess reductionistic qualities that by themsleves make him unstoppable. He isn't as quick as Iverson, as explosive as Carter, etc. What he does have is exceptional offensive endurance, a very diversified arsenal lacking a knock out weapon, and his overall basketball insitics are so highly developed that he scores by attrition and opportunism more than by domination. For his size he has a great 1st step, is as explosive as any below the very top, and often accomplishes a lot with a minimal amount of wasted motion. His outside shot is not that reliable; more of a hot and cold thing, but his medium range shot is pretty damn sweet, and inside he's a natural.

McGrady the Defender

this is one of two areas where he is, IMO, least understood. While in Toronto the comparison most evoked was to pippen, and this was due to his versatility and defense. He was an exceptional defender for a young player. Repeat, excpetional. Could lock down and shot down. Guarded every position, 1 through 5. Combination of length, quickness, athleticism and instincts were hard to match.

In Orlando, with Hill out and Duncan not coming, he was aksed to take on the role of dominant scorer, and it is a credit to his overall game that he did so with such success, but as is the case with many solo stars, it came at a cost. There has almost never been a player able to dominate as a perim player on offense without any real support, and sustain consistent effort on the defensive end. Carrying the load as a 2 or 3 on offense means having to beat 2 or 3 men, night in and night out, or work your way to getting it off to a teammmate, and those being inferior, often doing so for no gain. McGrady's defense predicably suffered as his offense garnered headlines. But make no mistake; this isn't a diamond in the rough defender who JVG might be able to mine...it's already there. He could do it today, if he needed to. Assuming the scoring titles haven't gone to his head, which is possible, he is a more natural fit as a dominant support player than as a lead option. A Pippen rather than a Jordan.

McGrady the All Around Player

The single reason I initially had McGrady over Carter, in the future, was that despite not having Carter's more deomnstrative athleticism and explosivness ( who does?) he had something even more important, and he had it in a physical package which trailed few other than his cousin: the feel. There are several other terms for it...instincts...basketball IQ...awareness, etc. Whatever you call it, he has it in spades. Listen to me on this: it is his greatest strength. The quality that Steve Francis lacked, that kept him from being a true superstar, Tracy McGrady has plenty. Even as a kid out of HS, physically unready for the rigours of the NBA game, and overmatched night after night when his coach did let him touch the floor, it was clear. He just seemed to be in the right place at the right time, again and again. You couldn;t draw up plays around it, you couldn't coach it, but you could count on it.

I predict that this, and not his athleticism, scoring, dunks, etc. will be the aspect that most real Rockets fans will find the most compelling, surprising, and refeshing. In this respect alone he's better than Dream, better than Clyde...better than most I;ve ever seen. They had better physical tools, but he has a better feel, is a more natural basketball player. You'll see.

McGrady the Teammate

In some ways he's very mature, in others not at all. He probalby had the makings of a mature kid if left to himself, but the (very) early exposure to the star life have also left him with a bit of a prima dona attitude. Not a problem player if things are going well, but not one to put them right if they're going wrong, either, and likely to look to himself if/when the going gets tough. Somewhat like his cousin, he has the talent of a team leader but not the personality. He's not going to be the cause of many issues, and his teammates usually like him pretty well. He is not a natural leader.

On the court he plays smart and pretty unselfishly if things are going well and the team is winning. He wants to win, and thankfully is one of those semi-rare young stars whose ego is as much wrapped up in team success as individual accomplishment, but if the team falters, his 1st instinct, possibly with some justification, might be to point fingers rather than look in the mirror. Of course, he's still very young, and this could change. And since leaving the Raptors he's had to carry more weight than he ever anticipated, and it's somewhat to his credit that in addition to personal agrandisment, every time he's wanted to move, it's been to places he thought he'd be with other great players rather than having the stage all to himself.

2. 12345

12345 Member

WOW! Great Post! Hopefully he'll be as good as you said he is. :)

3. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

A more athletic Pippen would be a good comparison.

I agree he is just very smooth. The game comes to him. Nothing looks forced and if it does, it's because he has the whole team on his back.

He is a natural basketball player, very similiar to Garnett.

If he stays healthy, McGrady has HOF potential.

You don't get a talent like that very often, especially not at age 25.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

if he can play that kind of Defense, JVG must be tingling all over right now

5. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Maybe he can become the equivalent of a Carlos Beltran (Astros new center fielder who has ALL the tools) for the Rockets? I am interested to see how big of an impact JVG will have on his defensive tenacity...

6. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

That was a great report MacBeth!

Do you no were I might be able to View/Download some quality video of TMac's game?

I could not view Clutch's recent post very well.

7. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Sadly I am not the man to ask about computer video stuff, but I'm sure there will be plenty of links in here in the coming days.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Everything I've read about him with regard to his attitude is that he is a kid who does NOT like the spotlight off the floor and generally avoids leadership situations in the locker room. He was uncomfortable as the team captain in Orlando as that isn't his personality. It will be interesting to see how two guys with that kind of demeanor mesh in Houston. The Rockets had this in Clyde and Hakeem, but they also had the more vocal Mario Elie to push them.

Should be interesting.

9. fatman510

fatman510 Member

I think this will cause good friendship and chemistry between Yao and Tmac.

If we get DFish, he is a good leader.

10. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Kenny Smith was the Rockets leader sort of also, I think Jim Jackson will step up

11. JPM0016

How vocal is Jim Jackson in the locker room. He would seem to be the most logical choice if McGrady doesn't want to do it.

....or we could always resign Charles Oakley ;) :D

12. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Yeah, that fits. He likes the spotlight in spurts, but generally is more comfortable out of it. And he is not a leader, and probably never will be. He's got a good head on his shoulders, and is well spoken for a pro athlete. He likes to hang out and relax, and tellingly Pippen was his favorite player as a kd, not Jordan. But, agreed, we will need an Elie type if you feel that a team needs a strong locker room leader.

13. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Macbeth how do you know so much about this guy?? :eek:

14. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

hmm...

T-MAC and MACbeth, coincidence? I think not;)

15. JPM0016

16. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Well, I've met him, knew his ex, etc. and have several friends who either work for the Raptors or are Toronto basketball reporters.

17. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

If Yao's English improves, he may surprise you. He's already a
    vocal leader in Chinese National Team.

18. fatman510

fatman510 Member

JAG hmmmm T-JAG!

19. forebay

forebay Member

I am afraid Tmac might love yao more than a straight man can love another man :p

20. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Very nice post, JAG. You're getting me very excited. Since you compare him to Pippen, do you anticipate T-Mac initiating the offense much of the time and/or feeding Yao in the post?

You've probably talked about it in other threads, but can you also comment on the history of his back problems?