1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ABORTION

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by giddyup, Feb 12, 2014.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The heart starts beating around the 5th week after conception.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I never said that every conception would be born. They do become more and more human on a daily, maybe hourly, basis.

Some are never birthed. Some are birthed with abnormalities. Some are birthed with no seeming abnormalities.

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Going back and looking, I have confirmed my opinion that you are the one who engaged in further derailing that thread even after I SPECIFICALLY asked you to take further discussion to a different thread. That's why I used the "idiotic Giddy abortion thread" language.

I don't support an "absolute" right to choose at all. I am FAR more concerned about the woman as she is an ACTUAL human, not a potential one.

She deserves the right to choose even if her life isn't in jeopardy. It is her body and she deserves to decide whether it will be used to bring a fetus to term, within reasonable limits.

Because you consistently use the wrong words when discussing this issue.

I don't have a problem with the term "unborn human." That term is FAR more accurate than using the word "baby" to refer to a fetus.

Yes, it is. However, at the point where the fetus is utterly dependent on the woman's uterus, she has the right to choose not to use her uterus to further gestate the fetus.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The hubris it must take to yank a soul out of non existence, into this, meat. And to force a life into this, thresher. Yeah so my daughter, she uh, she spared me the sin of being a father.
    -Rust-

5. giddyup

OMG, did I defy the King of Threads?! My posts matched the posts of others in that thread-- including you. I did not go off on some kind of tear like you are trying to convey with this baseless charge.

Twisting. The "absolute" modifier was only applied to MY POSITION not yours.

So you say. Some disagree. Since we are going to piss someone off whichever way this goes, what other ISSUES might be in play? How about LIFE/DEATH?

Sorry but you don't get to set the groundrules for the discussion. Ooooh, that makes it harder for you, doesn't it?!

I have conceded to YOU AND THE WORLD that my position on this limits a woman's right of choice yet you have ZERO CONCESSION TO THE WORLD about what your position imposes.....

Don't you find that odd? I can live with my concession but you can live with your lack of one even more easily. I find that troubling.

No surprise there. Baby is far too intimate a term to use...

She willingly took the risk of possibly loaning it out to someone else.

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

do they show undercover video of a family's heartbreaking decision to terminate their fetus after learning it carries the same terminal disease that took the life of their infant son, only to go one and have two more beautiful children who were not carriers of the rare genetic disease?

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A young woman that worked for my significant other discovered that she had a very serious form of cancer, after she had become pregnant. At the time, she was in her first trimester. The young woman made the decision to forego chemo and radiation therapy until after she had delivered, even though the doctors said she needed treatment badly, that it was treatable, but that it was much riskier if she waited. Her decision was something her husband had decidedly mixed feelings about. So she had a good delivery and a healthy baby. About a year later, she died of cancer, leaving the husband with the baby, and no wife. My significant other wept at her funeral. They were quite close. I mentioned the young woman, in her twenties, in another "abortion thread" some years ago.

There are any number of things involved with a pregnancy, and questions of life and death beyond that of the fetus. In this case, the husband didn't really have a say in what his wife did. He wanted the baby, of course, but he wanted his wife more. He wasn't allowed to make that choice.

9. giddyup

Life and Death issues are heartbreaking-- all of them.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

With overpopulation being a concern of future generations... I highly doubt it.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

No, heart cells start to beat -- not an actual complete functioning heart.

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Heartbeat begins at around 5 weeks. Late term abortions are after 20 weeks (some say as little as 16).

13. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

A heartbeat nonetheless. It is a heartbeat. And by 6 weeks it is beating anywhere from 100-160 times a minute. By the 5th week the heart has been growing for more than a week and has begun to divide into chambers.

Fetal Development-from Conception to Birth

Time

Fetal Development

Day 6

The embryo is implanted in the uterus at this stage

Day 22

The baby’s heartbeat starts as the blood flow begins. The baby often has a different blood type from the mother.

Week 3

Baby’s spine and the nervous system form. Other organs like the liver, kidney and intestines take shape.

Week 4

The child is now 10,000 times the size of the egg when it was first fertilized.

Week 5

Baby’s limbs (hands and legs) begin to grow.

Week 6

Brain waves are detectable. The lips, mouth and fingernails develop.

Week 7

Baby is swimming and kicking. Eyelids, toes and nose can be seen.

Week 8

The bones replace the cartilage, all organs are intact, and the finger prints start to form. Baby can hear.

Week 9 &10

Baby is quite active. The teeth take shape, fingernails develop and the baby hiccups. It is also evident that the baby’s head is turning and can make facial expressions like frowning.

Week 10 & 11

It can breathe from the amniotic fluid; it also urinates. At the 11th week, the baby holds objects with the hand and all its organs are functional. The fetus also develops a skeletal structure, proper circulation and nerves.

Week 12 &14

The baby can feel pain as nerves, spine and thalamus are established. The baby sucks the thumb and the heart pumps severally.

Week 15

Adult taste buds develop.

Week 16

Bone marrow forms, heart pumps about 24 liters of blood on a daily basis. Baby weighs about ½ a pound.

Week 17-20

Baby has dreams, can recognize mothers voice and it’s a risky age for partial abortions.

5-6 months

Baby lungs developing and it breathes through amniotic fluids. Baby can grasp umbilical cord, kick. Sweat and oil glands function.

7-9 months

Baby’s senses are operational- the baby can see, hear, touch and taste. Baby’s heart pumps 300 gallons of blood a day. Baby skin develops and the fat stored under the skin. A week before the birth of the baby growth stops. The baby turns and drops head first into the pelvic cavity.

14. giddyup

15. GladiatoRowdy

I'm hardly the "king" of anything except perhaps my own body, to which I have the absolute right to choose pretty much everything.

I tried to be respectful of another poster's thread, which was NOT about abortion, but you chose to continue. You chose to be rude, which is certainly your right.

Fair enough, but it still remains that I am not expressing a belief that a woman should have an "absolute" right to choose abortion in all circumstances. There are some very reasonable restrictions that should be enforced and, if abortion is the choice to be made, that choice should be made as early as possible.

But the only way that life and death are issues here is if people accept your personal, moral belief that a fetus qualifies as "life." You don't get to force your personal, moral beliefs onto people who don't share those beliefs with you.

Not trying to set rules in any way, just pointing out that if you use the word "baby" to describe what is actually a "fetus," then you are using the wrong words, and by all indications you do so purposefully.

My position imposes nothing on anyone. My position allows all people to hold dear their own personal, moral beliefs regarding abortion. Your side is the one that is trying to impose your belief system on people who don't share it.

I don't have to make any concessions. You're welcome to find troubling implications in anything you like, but given that they are the result of your own personal belief system, you have no right to ask that anyone else consider these things troublesome.

Not too intimate, just too inaccurate.

And, we finally get to the crux of it. The slut went out and got laid and, because of YOUR beliefs, now she just has to live with it rather than make a choice that you find distasteful.

At least you can admit it.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It seems like eventually people that are anti-abortion in every way will realize in modern society you are not going to be able to tell a woman that she can not do it, when it is her own body. It's just not going to happen. Just accept it and move on and look at every other possible way to reduce abortions before you are left with that being your last solution besides adoption.

17. giddyup

Sheesh. A lot of married women want abortions, too.... and they had sex with their husbands.

Your tactics are dishonest. Your side has even slandered the meaning of the word fetus in an attempt to dehumanize that life. Every fetus just squiggled out of the de-humanizing box you tried to lock it in!

That fetus is an up-and-coming Harriet or Harry if it is not terminated. There is no denying that.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

19. GladiatoRowdy

Your puritanical "she chose to have sex, so if she gets pregnant, she gives up her right to choose to have an abortion" mindset is what I take issue with. Note that, with the increased availability of contraception options including OTC Plan B, we are seeing the lowest recorded abortion numbers. In other words, it is possible to reduce abortions, you do so by providing sex education and access to contraception. A ban would be exactly as effective as the drug war, which is to say it would make things much, much worse.

I'm sure you like to think so, but you're the one who inaccurately uses the word "baby" at every opportunity, when that simply isn't accurate.

And the woman in whose uterus it is developing has the right to choose whether to use her womb to bring it to term and bear it. More importantly, you have no right whatsoever to take that choice away based on your own personal moral beliefs.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member