1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Timberwolves bowing out without a fight? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Abdul-Rauf in today's NBA @ 40 years old

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets Jones, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0t-XMLdZY7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How well would he do ? I think he could still be a 15-20 ppg scorer, especially with no hand checking. He looks good as ever, too bad after he refused to stand up for that freaking flag everything went south. That 95-96 season was his best ever and he started to look like that LSU guy again.

2. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Uploaded by bjleaguelove on Oct 8, 2009

Still pretty sick for a 40 yo tho

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I don't think he'd be better now than he was 10 years ago w/Vancouver.

4. aaaa

aaaa Member

Yes. It seems people conveniently forgot his time in Vancouver. (Yes I was an unfortunate diehard Vancouver Grizzlies fan.)

He was a fan favourite, but wasn't the same in those Grizzlies days.

5. jw1144

jw1144 Contributing Member

I don't know but I found this related video highly entertaining.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pZ3Ftqe642Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

you do realize this is a highlight video right

7. sinobball

sinobball Member

Japan has 2 pro leagues that don't get along with each other. JBL is actually somewhat semi-pro but has all the best Japanese players by a big margin, such as Tabuse and 11 of their NT players such as KJ Matsui (Columbia University). As a result, the league Abdul-Rauf (and Jeremy Tyler) played in: the BJ-league is mostly composed of Japanese players under 6 feet, not to mention they have 20 teams which diluted the already low talent level.

8. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

True, was just thinking the guy looks in great shape and it's rare to see a guard playing at 40 and looking this healthy and young. Indeed, with the Grizzlies and even with the Kings he started to fall off.

Can you imagine if the guy hadn't become fat and lazy when he entered the NBA and the Nuggets would've given him the confidence to be a starter after the 94 playoffs ? We would've seen a whole nother Abdul-Rauf.

He was obviously struggling with the way the Nuggets treated him, making him a bench player while he was their top scorer! Obviously Pack was the better distributor but to me it could've been a great situation had they stuck with what worked. Pack off the bench or even in later years, since Reggie became old, they could've tried Pack at PG, Abdul-Rauf at SG and Stith at SF.

9. gambingo

gambingo Member

I cant tell from that short clip if he can still play in the NBA, but he looks great physically for a 40 y/o.