1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[abc]Rockets broadcasting duo riding the wave

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Mar 21, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/sports/pro/basketball&id=6031022

Rockets broadcasting duo riding the wave
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 | 7:51 PM
    By Bob Allen

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- If you listen to the Rockets game on the radio Wednesday night, there will be a difference.

That's because longtime analyst Jim Foley will be undergoing bladder surgery on Monday.

Foley, who has been doing Rockets radio since 1987, is retiring at the end of the season, as is play-by-play voice Gene Peterson, who's been behind the microphone for 33 years. Foley hopes to be back for the playoffs in May.

Before last night's game against the Boston Celtics, Foley and Peterson took time out for an interview.

"It's a long run, no question about that, but it just doesn't seem like 33 years has gone by yet. I mean, it boggles my mind," Peterson said.

"It's been a great run for both of us, and I couldn't have had a better partner," Foley added.

They've made some memorable calls, like this one against Golden State in 1993.

"... Played by (Vernon) Maxwell, he runs it up at the buzzer ..." Peterson narrates as the Rockets' Allan Leavell inbounded the ball toward Hakeem Olajuwon for an alleyoop attempt but the pass overshot the mark. Maxwell retrieves the ball at the right corner of the basket, then attempts a wild shot from the corner.

Suddenly, Foley chimes in: "He hit it! He hit it! That's good! It's good! The Rockets win!

And when the clock didn't start in Utah in the '94 playoffs:

"Well, start the time clock! They're not even starting the clock! They didn't even start the clock! They haven't even started the clock! They haven't yet! Something's gotta give here! What's going on here?"

The Jazz inbounded the ball with 13.5 seconds remaining in the game, and play continued for several seconds without the clock ticking. But the Rockets forced a turnover, and eventually ran out the clock. "Can you believe this? They haven't even started the clock -- we got it anyway! We got the ball back! It's over!" the duo continued at the top of their lungs.

"We were shouting as loud as we were because the clock keeper was right in front of us," Foley explained. "And, you'd think that he could hear it."

And sometime soon, this NBA odyssey will end for Gene Peterson and Jim Foley. We just don't know exactly when.

"If you got to the final game of the regular season and you knew that was going to be your finale, I think the emotion of that game would really come out. But hopefully, the Rockets will make a big run in the playoffs, and we won't know what's gonna be the last game," Foley said.

2. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

I'm really going to miss these guys. Hordes of Rockets fans know exactly what I mean.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

get well soon, jim.

btw, was it definitely allen leavell inbounding that ball? that doesnt seem like it could be right

4. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

Someone pleeeeease tape their last game in june, please!

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

last game of the season they should play the audio over bill and clyde

6. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I remember that game- man was I hot. That organization is dirty from owner to clock keeper.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

allen leavell? I don't think he was around in 1993.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it think they meant Mario Elie

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0idEHGQFlP4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0idEHGQFlP4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

and i think you meant robert horry ;)

10. bigbrad83

bigbrad83 New Member

I loved Gene and Jim. They will be missed. I dont know who they'll get to replace them, quite a challenge following them. We're blessed here in Houston to have them with the Rockets and Milo with the Astros. All have great radio voices.
    Classic Gene-isms I guess here:

-Olajuwon/Barkley backing it in, backing it in, got hacked, backing it in, backing it in
    -his how sweet it is calls
    -dipsy-doodles it up
    -throws up a prayer
    -His BINGO, and YESSSSSS on clutch 3 pointers from the likes of Maxwell, Smith, Cassell, Horry, Elie back in the day and now with the currents players.

There were so many to recall but those were some that came at the top of my head. If anyone has any to add feel free to add on. Let's go Rockets. Back on track after last night.

11. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

did Allan Leavell ever play with Maxwell? :confused:

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

thanks for posting this tinman.

the video in the link gives me chills.

Jim and Gene, Houston Rockets Legends

13. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

So many memorable calls; I wish they would stay 1 more year.

Gene & Jim calling 13 in 35.
    <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?umid=76890"/> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?umid=76890" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Utah time clock call will always rank #1 in my memory because of how loud and ballistic Gene became and because one of the refs called him an **shole as he (the ref) walked off the court.