1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Abandoned But Not Forgotten

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gifford1967, Dec 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For some reason I find these sites that explore old abandoned buildings etc. (like the abandoned nuclear missle website) very compelling.

Just found this website today- http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/index.htm

One of places explored is the old Malibu Grand Prix off 59. I went there a lot as a kid and even though I was still in Houston in '83, I don't remember the murders there.

Anyway, here it is-

http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/abandoned_malibu_grand_prix_in_houston.htm

A couple of the photos-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If the murders occurred in '83, that can't be the reason it shut down. I went there as a kid at least as late as '87 or '88(and I don't remember there being mini golf or batting cages at that location at that time). They also have a Dale Earnhardt Jr. car and he didn't start racing Winston Cup until 2000.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What about this old abandoned building?

[​IMG]

All kidding aside, those pics of Malibu Grand Prix are surreal. I remember having birthday parties there all the time when I was a kid. I thought it was the greatest place ever.

Is Game's People Play on 1960 still there?

#3 ima_drummer2k, Dec 20, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  4. Fatty FatBastard

Dude, that place was off of 610 and I-10 exchange. I don't recall it being anywhere near 59.

5. Cannonball

There were (at least) 2 Houston locations. My dad always took me to the one on 59 whenever I stayed with him in Houston.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That's the one I visited as well.

I know that one was open as of about 5 years ago, because a kid I was mentoring invited me to his b-day party there.

7. ima_drummer2k

There was one (without the castle and golf course) on 59. Maybe the guy got them mixed up.

But the pics are from the one on 610.

8. Cannonball

That's kind of what I was thinking because I don't even remember seeing any of that stuff at the now overgrown lot on 59.

9. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, it shut down...mid-'90's, I guess? I worked there summers during college ('87-'88). This thread has inspired me to go take a look at the space when I'm down in February. I'm pretty sure it's still vacant.

That batting cage brings back some memories from the one at "Games". Got my wrist caught in a pitching machine and I'm pretty sure that had the timer not run out almost immediately, it'd have torn my arm off. Also, I was a "lifeguard" on the waterslides...no training...no certification...no nothing. Thank God no kids drowned.

10. Fatty FatBastard

Yeah, I recall that place on 59 now. It was just a go cart place. I hated that you had to get a license to drive the damn cars. I refused to do it, which made the one on 59 worthless to me.

One of my favorite childhood memories was at this little go cart place called Speedy's. Back in 91, we found out that they would do lock-ins there from midnight to 5 inthe morning for groups of 10 or more. It was $10 bucks/head, and you would get free go karts until 2:00 a.m., and they unlocked all the video games, air hockey and pool tables until 5:00 a.m. And you could bring your own keg.

So about 20 of us went. They kicked us off of the go-karts after about 30 minutes, because we were all drunk and slamming into each other, but we played around with everything else the rest of the night. I think I played SF 2 about 60 times that night. Got pretty good at it.

Good times...

11. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Man I remember this place.....it was awesome.....would anyone have any photos of it?

12. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I damn near fell off that waterslide.

13. gifford1967

Supporting Member

Yeah, now that I think about it, I don't remember anything but the game room and race track at the Malibu I used to go to. Which must of been the one off 59, because it was close enough to get there by bike from Bellaire.

14. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I do, too. If you haven't ssen this site already, you'll enjoy it.

Defunct Amusement Parks

The entries for Idora Park and Chippewa Lake Park in Ohio have lots of pics.

The site hasn't been updated for a few years so no Astroworld entry.

15. gifford1967

Supporting Member

Thanks.

16. ima_drummer2k

Last time I was in that area, it looked like the photos of the Castle on 610. It's been a while now and you can't see anything from the street except the top of that old water-slide.

Yeah, that always pissed me off too. The way I figured, by the time I got my drivers license, I would be too old to drive those little cars anyway. Of course, I was like 8 at the time.

17. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Anybody remember what was on that site before "Games People Play"?

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

we used to go to speedy's in high school sometimes after parties. They would let us slam in to each other for a few rounds and then would kick us out.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I so want to go there and get a bunch of that crap and restore it. Go-kart? No problem. Tekken 3 cabinet would make an awesome MAME project.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm surprised how much stuff is still left on the properties. Especially that go kart place.

The Norman's Clay Island series of the drug dealer is awesome! :eek: