1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron McKie: 7 years, 39 million

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsPimp, Jul 14, 2001.

Tags:
  1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Don't forget our own cap-buster, Kelvin "Can I Stay Off The IR And Get Motivated To Lead The League In Rebounding Like I Predicted" Cato.

------------------
    Anger is a weed. Hate is a tree.

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Originally posted by Vengeance:
    Congratulations to Todd Mac -- the next overrated cap-buster . . . (see Greg Ostertag)

$33M is not all that bad. Assuming a 12.5% increase his 1st year is below the current mid-level exception. Cato will make $6.0M this year and ToddMac never gets over 6M till year 5 (and just barely).

To me, this is market price for a serviceable backup who can pull some starter minutes. This year, Ostertag will make more than the 5th year of MacCullough's contract with 2 more season guaranteed.

------------------
    Raef to Rocks in '01-'02!

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Don't get down on Todd. No current big man outside of Sabonis has better hands. Seriously, the guy almost <u>never</u> drops a pass. That's more than can be said for Cato.

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Todd McCullough is NOT going to be another Ostertag or McIllvaine. Don't lump him in with the slow, lumbering, untalented centers in the league who happen to be white. This guy has great hands, nice moves around the basket, positions himself well and is a nice rebounder. The reason he got burned at times last year was that it was the first time he got significant minutes, and he was still trying to get his timing down. He has only been in the league 2 years, and last year was the first time he got good minutes. A nice signing for New Jersey. It may be a bit much, but New Jersey is pretty loaded as is at every position except center and he should help.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited July 14, 2001).]

5. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I don't have anything against Todd, and I think he can be a servicable big man for any team, but the contract he's getting, more than anything else, is reflective of the number of good big men in the league today.

------------------
    You are all bàilisdeires and ainmhides who are allowed to witness my dailgneachd.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Way to go! Todd (Pay-Day) McCullough! Another free meal ticket. Man I love this game! [​IMG]

------------------

7. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

You know what this means : Cuttino Mobley is horrifically underpaid.

I think Todd MacCullough is a decent player, but not worth 5-6 million a year.

------------------
    It was the time of the preacher, in the year of '01
    Now the preachin' is over, and the lessons begun . . .

8. tacoma park legend

You know what this means : Cuttino Mobley is horrifically underpaid.

That's the first thing that came into my mind when I heard the numbers on his contract.

------------------
    You are all bàilisdeires and ainmhides who are allowed to witness my dailgneachd.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Don't forget that big men are a MUCH more sought after commodity than a SG.
    Sure Cuttino may be on less money, but generally the big useless guys will get paid more than the littler guys.

Of course I guess it still does mean that Cat is underpaid, but thank goodness that he wanted to remain a Rocket eh?

------------------

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Quality big men are a rarity, that's why he got that contract. Cat isn't necessarily underpaid compared to McCullough's contract, he's underpaid compared to fair market value! And that was Cat's choice, thank ya Cat! [​IMG]

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In defense of Cuttino's contract, I always thought that a big reason he came back was because he knew that he'd be the 'featured shooter'. I always thought that that was a big draw to pull him back here. If he goes somewhere else and doesn't get the shots,I think it'd be easy for him to 'slip throught the cracks' and get relegated to third or fourth team. He's not a KG type of guy who is so freakish that he stands out. You have to see him play awhile to appreciate him. I think it is most likely the same factor that caused him to slip to the second round, and a guy like Forte to drop to the bottom of the first.

In otherwords, if he'd signed elsewhere, I thought, and I'd bet that at some point he thought, that there was a bit of a chance that he wouldn't get off on the right foot, get labled a mistake early, and spend the rest of his contract on the end of the bench. I guarantee you that here, he'll get his shots and probably after this contract get a two or three year monster contract.

[This message has been edited by Ottomaton (edited July 14, 2001).]

12. tacoma park legend

Aaron McKie agreed to a 7 year, 39 million dollar contract Friday.

And get this, Todd freakin' MacCulloch is close to a deal with the Nets that will pay him 33.75 million over 6 years.

------------------

13. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Congratulations to Todd Mac -- the next overrated cap-buster . . . (see Greg Ostertag)

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."