1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks Watch

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Franchize, Feb 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yes, you are right.
    I was one of those people that said. WHO? And complained he was too short to play NBA ball.

So glad I was wrong, too bad it never really panned out though. AB has been unlucky.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Um..what? If it weren't for the Rox the dude might've gone undrafted and would've been playing in Europe today. It looks like a no brainer now but when he was drafted undersized pgs weren't in vogue, dudes like Steph Curry didn't exist yet and Steve Nash was the only "all O, no D" superstar pg. In fact guys like Jose Calderon were seen as bad players as they are defensive sieves and while Brooks was good playing for the Oregon Ducks or whatever his team was he was just seen as yet another fringe NBA player at best, I'm not even sure he would've been taken in the 2nd round if we weren't there to snag him.

IIRC the only team "rumored" to be high on him were the Suns, mainly because they realized an all O, no D guy could be useful in the right situation as they already had Nash.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What? Are you kidding? Undersized PGs that can score have been around throughout NBA history!

Calvin Murphy ring a bell? Nate Archibald? Spud Webb, Jeez, some folks have no clue about NBA history -

DD

4. coffeelover665

I never watch the Nuggets. This is my first time trying to catch a game and it's because of Aaron Brook. I miss him :(

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Congrats on not knowing much. The rockets and Rick Adelman had been scouting him for a while. Not taken in the 2nd round? Well you must be an idiot, tbh. Sorry to throw that out there, but you are really acting like it.

6. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

This guy sounds like he doesn't know much, just ignore him. Reason doesn't work with his type.

7. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Brooks played 32 minutes tonight! So happy for him :).

8. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Aaron didn't do so good his 2nd game. 3-13, 9 points and a -30 :eek:

Also took a 33 spot (on 12-16) from I. Thomas jr.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Well, he made 3 more shots than Jordan Hamilton. :)

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Yea pretty bad shooting night but he had 8 asissts, and he did go like 8-11 or something his first game though. I think the assist number is because the offense is built for someone like AB. The Pick N Roll with Faried and kickout to the 3pt shooters is perfect when he goes all zip zap through the lane.

11. dragician

dragician Member

5 TO and -30.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Fans thought he would go in the 2nd round. But Morey knew that there was another team, Phoenix, waiting to pick Brooks in the first round if Houston had passed on him with the 26th pick.

Remember, the Rockets that year also acquired the 1st pick in the 2nd round ( used on Landry) and a lower 2nd round pick (used on Brad Newley). Still, they used the 26th pick on Brooks instead of Landry or another player.

Also, Phoenix back then would let the draft prospects they bring in talk to the media after workouts. Aaron Brooks appeared on two such interviews as PHX brought him in a 2nd time and Brooks spoke about how he was praised by the Suns.

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I will nvr forget that Lakers Playoff series

14. joesr

joesr Member

Offense, AB is a better shooter. He is not a better slasher and they both make bone headed passes out of a drive.

Defense, hell no, AB doesn't have that.

Play making, again hell no.

15. Asian Sensation

This is actually correct.

I went to Oregon at the same time Brooks did and so obviously I was a big fan/supporter of him. He even came to the student rec center on a regular basis to run pick-up games with us (students) and mess around.

Brooks as a player was mostly inconsistent in his 4 years but he had a killer senior year where he took us deep in the tournament. I'll never forget the run he had in the pac 10 tournament to the elite 8. With that said he was always a shoot first, scoring guard with poor vision and passing skills. Combined with being severely undersized I didn't think he'd make it very far at the next level. Even with his stellar senior campaign I thought he would've went undrafted and being picked in the 2nd round would've been a best case scenario.

When he was taken by the Rockets in the 1st round I was absolutely shocked yet so happy for him at the same time.

16. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Then you're just making things up based on the fact that he was a bit of a surprise when we drafted him, and perhaps your memory that everyone wanted Josh McRoberts or Glen Davis instead.

Here he is in a mock draft going 26th
    Here he is in another mock draft going 33rd
    Here he is in another mock draft going 40th
    Here he is in another mock draft going 43rd

We get it, it was a reach. We get it, he was one of those nebulous early-second-round talents that no one can get a real feel for where he was really going. But the dude was getting drafted. Do a 10 second google before you say things like that.

17. liujun0768

liujun0768 Member

Bump.:mad: