1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks vs Stephen Curry

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Htown's2kFinest, Apr 11, 2010.

?

Who is better?

1. Aaron Brooks

139 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. Stephen Curry

182 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Curry plays under control. He plays with the confidence of a vet and it shows.

When he doesn't get calls he sure doesn't throw fits of frustration.

Oh and I did see Brooks 4th quarter play. I remember a big 3 and 2 straight turnovers.

2. number22

number22 Member

Curry by far. being able to see the floor at the pg position is really valuable. and Brooks is nothin to sneeze at either

3. Entropy

Entropy Member

Curry is in the Steve Nash and Chris Paul stratosphere of play-making. He plays calm under pressure, and doesn't let the opposing team get into his head. He's great at finding the right guy at the right time and consistently makes a number of high difficulty passes.

I saw the frustration Brooks displayed when he wasn't getting calls and his inability to slow down the tempo at a critical juncture of the game last night, yes.

4. choujie

choujie Member

Compare to how Ariza has been treated, AB is greatly appreciated and overrated by fans in general.

5. choujie

choujie Member

Last night AB was doing fine until the Suns start to make 3s in the end. He made a couple very questionable decisions in a row after that.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Stephen Curry for sure.

Better shooting percentages across the board. More rebounds, more assists, more steals. He's also 3 years younger and not so understized like AB. His celing is higher.

That said, I love AB. He's awesome paired with Martin.

7. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Curry is a system player.

Brooks is balling without injured stars.

8. keez857

keez857 Member

I don't get the argument for Curry being a system player. People are forgetting the Rockets also play in a high-tempo offense, and from the looks of things lately, we aren't bothering to play much defense either. We even attempt more 3s than the GSW per game. I love AB to death, but I'll take Curry over him easily.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think you need to watch Curry a bit more. He does EXCEPTIONAL things for a rookie, stuff that makes it clear he is special. Interesting you would give Curry a clear edge on shooting as that is one area I feel AB is about as good.

Regarding floor vision, it isn't close. Curry has eyes in the back of his head and sees things nobody else on the floor sees (on a regular basis). He is better at misdirection with the ball and making defenders look foolish than most veteran PGs. Curry is a better, slicker finisher at the rim. He also has better, more reliable handles than AB, who gets the ball poked away or falls/slips down too often when defenses exert pressure in half-court.

10. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Also you might add that Stephen Curry plays smart defense. He doesn't have the lateral quickness and athleticism to really "lock down" a player, to make up for it he reads the passing lane quite well and he has quick hands.

11. choujie

choujie Member

He has higher basketball IQ than AB as a rookie.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Curry's shooting looks better statistically because the Warriors' system. AB takes a lot more difficult shots than Curry and still isn't lagging much behind in TS% and eFG%.

If Brooks played in the GSW offense I bet he would average 25ppg.

13. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Ellis averages 25ppg too and I still think Curry is their best player. Brooks is one of the better point guards in the league but he's not better than Curry imo.

14. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

I dont understand people saying if Brooks plays in GSW system he will produce more than his current stats and much more than Curry.

We played smilar system like GSW this year, and Brooks was the 1st option of this team's scoring&passing/creating ALL YEAR.

Curry is not the first scoring option in GSW even now, and Ellis dominated the ball all year long until he got injured, Curry was more like a spot up shooter %50 portion of the GSW games this year.

He's a very very good basketball player and very smart guy, I can sse him being top 5-7 player in the NBA in future.

15. choujie

choujie Member

Exactly. Based on the way they play, I'd take Curry over AB, but AB over Ellis.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

He is better than Curry right now. Look at their stats. There is no question about that; if you think Curry is better this season, you are both insane and ignorant.

It's one thing to say Curry is going to be better down the road, he's a rook. But he is not better right now.

17. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Curry has a better FG%, more rebounds, more assists, more steals and you're talking about stats? I really hate to bring stats up you know.

18. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Exactly. He is a rookie and he is still lighting it up. Let's look at post all-star numbers for a more accurate comparison:

Curry = 21.6 pts, 5.4 reb, 7.7 dimes, 2.0 stls
    Brooks = 20.5 pts, 2.7 reb, 6.1 dimes, 0.9 stls

Curry is clearly better than Brooks now (as a rookie). Curry also is 3 inches taller and doesn't rely on blazing speed to be effective. Brooks is a good player and has exceeded my expectations but you would be crazy not to trade Curry for Brooks.

19. Entropy

Entropy Member

Since you brought up stats, I will provide them as they are current from nba.com, in the rank of which one is better for a team overall.

AB PPG: 19.8 > Curry PPG 17.3
    Curry FG%: .462 > AB FG%: .432
    Curry APG: 5.9 > AB APG: 5.3
    Curry STPG: 1.9 > AB STPG: .89
    Curry TOPG: 3.1 > AB TOPG 2.9
    Curry 3P%: .435 > AB 3P% .397
    Curry FT%: .874 > AB FT% .832

Now seeing that Curry has won 6/7 of those metrics, whom do you think DM would splooge his pants over more?

So is Curry better than AB in his rookie year or not?

20. Entropy

Entropy Member

EDIT: